Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brew Dog 'punk' beer

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gah! The power of NSC advertising. Must. OBEY. Especially at £2.50 for a 660ml bottle out of Sainsburys. Happy to report that it does indeed taste better than it reads. Quite refreshing with a strong citrusy taste. Where does that taste COME from? Seeing as it lists the only ingredients as barley, hops, yeast and water, must be one of these four things aye? The hops maybe? Shame it doesn't say on the bottle, on account of being too busy bigging itself up. Damn tasty nonetheless. Big thumbsup here :thumbsup:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Quite refreshing with a strong citrusy taste. Where does that taste COME from? Seeing as it lists the only ingredients as barley, hops, yeast and water, must be one of these four things aye? The hops maybe?

American hops. Chinook, I think. Possibly Citra.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gah! The power of NSC advertising. Must. OBEY. Especially at £2.50 for a 660ml bottle out of Sainsburys. Happy to report that it does indeed taste better than it reads. Quite refreshing with a strong citrusy taste. Where does that taste COME from? Seeing as it lists the only ingredients as barley, hops, yeast and water, must be one of these four things aye? The hops maybe? Shame it doesn't say on the bottle, on account of being too busy bigging itself up. Damn tasty nonetheless. Big thumbsup here :thumbsup:

The 'citrusy' taste is the hops..and specifically in the case of Punk IPA the dry-hopping at the end of the brewing process.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because I like the taste of it. Plus it has the benefit of really winding up the ale snobs.

I think you're confusing winding up with pity :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone else feeling thirsty?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

This attitude really doesn't help "the cause"

I like the taste of ales in general - although I actually don't like the taste of Punk at all but that's a different matter.

However, there is nothing wrong with a properly manufactured lager either. Suggesting "pity" is snobbery bordering on wankery.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Its the snobbery from the ale drinkers / bores that fuels the divide, tbh. The condescending "ah bless, he drinks lager. What a philistine", as opposed to simply accepting that not everybody has the same taste in beer. Some people LIKE stella / Amstel / Heineken / Whatever.

The old Hobogblin advert - "What's the matter lager boy? Scared you might taste something?" sums up the whole sneering attitude perfectly. You'd see some prick in Docs and black jeans, with a too-small T-shirt, emblazened with that, stretched over his fat real-ale gut, and just think "yep. You're great fella. I'm so missing out, on being as COOL and discerning as you".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This attitude really doesn't help "the cause"

I like the taste of ales in general - although I actually don't like the taste of Punk at all but that's a different matter.

However, there is nothing wrong with a properly manufactured lager either. Suggesting "pity" is snobbery bordering on wankery.

It was a jokey response to Buzzer's mildly provocative but equaly jokey reply, hence my smiley.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It was a jokey response to Buzzer's mildly provocative but equaly jokey reply, hence my smiley.

The first part of my post was genuine. I do like the taste of lagers. I don't mind a Harveys every now and then or a Summer Lightning, Tanglefoot or 6X but if I'm at football (especially on it all day) then give me lager over ale any day.

The real ale snobbery is hilarious and pathetic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its the snobbery from the ale drinkers / bores that fuels the divide, tbh. The condescending "ah bless, he drinks lager. What a philistine", as opposed to simply accepting that not everybody has the same taste in beer. Some people LIKE stella / Amstel / Heineken / Whatever.

The old Hobogblin advert - "What's the matter lager boy? Scared you might taste something?" sums up the whole sneering attitude perfectly. You'd see some prick in Docs and black jeans, with a too-small T-shirt, emblazened with that, stretched over his fat real-ale gut, and just think "yep. You're great fella. I'm so missing out, on being as COOL and discerning as you".

I take it back. It was only a joke. I do not believe for one minute Buzzer stands with a pint and thinks "I'm really winding up the real ale people" and hopefully you do not think I stand with my pint exuding pity? I admit I do not understand a preference for Stella over some of the beers I enjoy but then I am certain people do not understand a variety of things which float my boat.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Would be genuinely interested to know where the ale drinkers stand on the fantastic range of Czech lagers such as Budvar, Pilsner Urquell, Kozel, Staropramen and - best of the bunch - Gambrinus. I'd like to think they'd be in favour shirley, else it really would appear to come down to beer snobbery, pure and simple.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

It is a lovely beer, and the other's i've tasted are great, but the packaging is embarassing

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I take it back. It was only a joke. I do not believe for one minute Buzzer stands with a pint and thinks "I'm really winding up the real ale people" and hopefully you do not think I stand with my pint exuding pity? I admit I do not understand a preference for Stella over some of the beers I enjoy but then I am certain people do not understand a variety of things which float my boat.

Sorry - I know I replied to you, but it wasn't directly at you personally - it was a general comment.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As a rule, I don't drink mass maufactured lager any more, though I'll still have a craft lager. Obviously there are some exceptions to this rule and I'll have the odd can or pint here and there but I'll try not to.

What I've noticed since not drinking mass produced lager is that my hangovers aren't as bad and my stomach which always used to be awful after drinking too much lager is fine and recovers much quicker.

Taste is an each to their own thing, I'm convinced craft and real ale is better for you.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Would be genuinely interested to know where the ale drinkers stand on the fantastic range of Czech lagers such as Budvar, Pilsner Urquell, Kozel, Staropramen and - best of the bunch - Gambrinus. I'd like to think they'd be in favour shirley, else it really would appear to come down to beer snobbery, pure and simple.

I love a good clean pilsner, can't beat the refreshment I don't think.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The first part of my post was genuine. I do like the taste of lagers.

What about craft brewed lagers? Meantime, Brewdog, Thornbridge and Camden Brewery all regularly make decent craft lagers.

zfleas

Aug 8, 2011
Worthing
Likewise with some 'proper' lagers, such as London Lager, Saxon, and Curious Brew. Are these allowed or not??

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Would be genuinely interested to know where the ale drinkers stand on the fantastic range of Czech lagers such as Budvar, Pilsner Urquell, Kozel, Staropramen and - best of the bunch - Gambrinus.

I suppose I might be described as a real ale drinker - and I love the Czech lagers. My wife prefers a lager and since the mid-80's when we first encountered Urquell we have been regular purchasers of that and others. I think anyone who enjoys decent beer loves these lagers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here