Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brentford stop taking the knee.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I’m sure that was of great comfort to the slaves.

I agree. It would have been no comfort whatsoever but I brought this into the argument merely to point out that no one ignores such things. Certainly not myself but the Society we are discussing on this thread is Western Society and it's links to Slavery. And our links to the Slave Trade were 100 % built around Race

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
no no no under rock dwelling here moosh , billions of people watch football every week yet the moronic practices of a few warrant your comment " continually getting bombarded with racist abuse" BLM is nothing to do with football and precious little to do with the UK , it is there to bring the plight of Black African Americans in the US penal system, on death row for crimes they haven't committed and getting murdered by lunatic American coppers ........recent news and films coming bout of America have highlighted the endemic poisonous attitudes held by some sections of the penal / justice / law enforcement industry ( and it is run like an industry) in the USA

taking the knee was embraced by most , i personally think it's run its course .......the no room for racism and kick it out campaigns are far more productive in my view .

I agree with what you say. Taking the knee was started by Colin Kaepernick to highlight the racial injustice and worse, endemic in American society. The Trump impeachment has reinforced the massive problem of white supremacists in the US. I can see that taking the knee in the UK is a message against racism but I feel that it has run its course here and the focus should be on prosecuting the social media racists and bullies. If individual players wish to continue then that is their decision.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My brother in law is a racist. He admits he is. He is also an armchair Liverpool fan, he goes to about one game a season.

He now refuses to watch football on the telly, because he objects to players taking the knee.
For that reason alone, I’m all for it.

He’s no longer an armchair Liverpool fan then. :)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
no mileage in that mate .....no mileage at all.

Mileage?

It’s fact, ITV called the Police in over Amy’s death threat and they decided not to press charges, whilst they did over the Wright incident, two cases that both warranted prosecution but one was and one wasn’t, a dangerous precedent.

All abusive and threatening trolling should carry automatic prosecution.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My brother in law is a racist. He admits he is. He is also an armchair Liverpool fan, he goes to about one game a season.

He now refuses to watch football on the telly, because he objects to players taking the knee.
For that reason alone, I’m all for it.

This.

I'm also all for it because it upsets racists. That's sufficient.

I expect Brentford to relent. Embarrasing for them, really. People in a position of influence should lead, not follow. If we gave 'the people' decision-making power we'd have hanging and flogging, and you'd not be able to find a paediatrician for love nor money.

To save 18 pages, 3 flounces and a ban, I think I can say people fall under 3 camps.

- Those who still think it's necessary
- Those who support it but think it's run its course
- Those who don't support it and are probably a bit racist

Yeh and the issue is a lot of category 3 types are pretending to be in 2

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Mileage?

It’s fact, ITV called the Police in over Amy’s death threat and they decided not to press charges, whilst they did over the Wright incident, two cases that both warranted prosecution but one was and one wasn’t, a dangerous precedent.

All abusive and threatening trolling should carry automatic prosecution.

Wasn't one a decision about prosecution for the UK judical system and one about prosecution for the Irish judicial system? Two different nations,.Two different judicaries, so each setting their own, as a sovereign nation, precedent?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I agree with what you say. Taking the knee was started by Colin Kaepernick to highlight the racial injustice and worse, endemic in American society. The Trump impeachment has reinforced the massive problem of white supremacists in the US. I can see that taking the knee in the UK is a message against racism but I feel that it has run its course here and the focus should be on prosecuting the social media racists and bullies. If individual players wish to continue then that is their decision.

perhaps if facebook are happy to let racist posters " learn from their experiences"rather than banning them they should name and shame them ......we have heard overnight that Anthony Martial has been racially abused ......do you think these tweets/posts/instagrams should be made public and the instigators named and shamed ....i do , it's the anonymity that allows this BS to continue.

which country do you think this abuse stems from , until the authorities( BBC) tell us we can only speculate , English people arguing amongst themselves over a problem that is coming from Lithuania or Ukraine for example...???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I agree. It would have been no comfort whatsoever but I brought this into the argument merely to point out that no one ignores such things. Certainly not myself but the Society we are discussing on this thread is Western Society and it's links to Slavery. And our links to the Slave Trade were 100 % built around economics, specifically turning over a substantial profit.

Corrected for you.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This.

Trouble is, Harry, it isn't sufficient - or even useful. While pissing off a few racists might indeed be seen as satisfying in a shallow way, it ain't going to change their minds. Whether or not it is just a token gesture, that's how they will see it; irritating, but ultimately just something to make them more intransigent.
Kick it out, and more rigorous enforcement of the law combined with education is far more relevant and important. Let's be honest - how many players now taking the knee are doing it for fear of being flamed if they don't - not because they're racist (though some of them probably are) but because it has had its day. The comparison with clap for the NHS on a Thursday night is very apposite; itwas a good idea, and made its point very clearly ........ at the time.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It is getting worse. You truly believe the Agenda that Slavery is not race related simply because there has been black on black or white in white slavery through the course of History.

No one denies that such things happened. But in Africa when Blacks enslaved other Blacks they did not enslave them due to the colour of their Skin. When the Romans pes say enslaved other nations. They did so because they conquered them through war.

When the British and Americans and Spanish etc enslaved people it was done Racially and if you are in denial over this then I can't help you.

So the British, Americans and Spanish had no economic motives then, it was purely racially based?
So, when traders from the Middle East, raided the Ukraine and surrounding areas, some three hundred years ago and enslaved at least 300,000 young women, surely that was racially based, as they viewed them as a sub-species. Some historians say that as many as 17 million people were sold into slavery on the coast of the Indian Ocean and Muslims took 5 million African slaves, to sell in the Middle East, between 1500 and 1900, all racially based. Barbary pirates spent 250 to 300 years, raiding Europe, enslaving Christians and converting them to Islam, all racially based.
And so it goes on, throughout history and onto today, the majority of it racially based and now we have to deal with modern slavery such as sex trafficking, forced labour, debt bondage, domestic servitude, forced child labour and child soldiers. The whole argument about slavery has been too narrow and politically manouvered in one particular direction to suit a particular agenda but unfortunately a lot of those swept up it have not bothered to stop and think it through fully, allowing emotion to overcome reason. We have to ask the question as to why a country so passionate about righting the wrong of colour prejudice, allows black and white supremacist organisations to flourish publicly, continuing to recruit, garnering support in high places and flouting their prejudice for the world to see. Massively wealthy and influential, they are an insult to all moderate people in the USA but they are allowed to continue, displaying racial and colour prejudice for all to see and a blind eye being turned to them. They are a virus that should be eradicated by whatever means and for as long as it takes. Forced underground and discredited. Until then, you will get nowhere.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This.

I expect Brentford to relent. Embarrasing for them, really. People in a position of influence should lead, not follow. If we gave 'the people' decision-making power we'd have hanging and flogging, and you'd not be able to find a paediatrician for love nor money.

Paediatrician....I can see what you’ve done there :lolol:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Some self-righteous white people like it because it pisses off other white people?

How on earth does that help black people? The answer is that it doesn’t and the self-righteous know this and don’t give a damn.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You have misunderstood the post. I say that most people are good people, and to p off good people by half truth's, and a deliberate false reading of history to try and make a modern political point, puts people off. That is the accusation I make against BLM. I also say that the preoccupation by a tiny minority (but a large section of the press because it gets clicks on a website or fills up air time) of the pigmentation of somebody's skin, is a retrograde step that is insulting to many people, no mater the pigmentation of somebodies skin. I thirdly say read history with an open mind, empathy and try not to look for things that may help "your side" of an argument. Read it to discover and open your mind to a greater understanding of how the world has evolved, and in my case, just for interest sake. I fourthly point out that the use of slavery to set one pigmentation of skin colour against the other is beyond idiotic given that all skin colours, races and religion have engaged in it. That is why I would not "take the knee". However I respect those who form a different view because they think it does some good. Mainly however, I would like you to think that to be defined by the colour of your skin is so absurd that it should be treated as such. Just think of the 5 year old boy who asked his mum about his skin colour because another innocent 5 year old had observed it was different. Neither child thought much about it, and the parents dealt with it in just the right fashion. Explaining the observation and then just getting on with living.

I really don't know what they are kneeling about. This racism lark is just manufactured by the media (bloody lefty, woke, hand wringing, dogooders). Its all just a load of fuss about nothing.

And now they are wasting my time making me watch them kneel before the footy. Literally 10 seconds of my life I won't get back . . . once, even twice a week. They should stop moaning about it, like the children.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yeh and the issue is a lot of category 3 types are pretending to be in 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
To save 18 pages, 3 flounces and a ban, I think I can say people fall under 3 camps.

- Those who still think it's necessary
- Those who support it but think it's run its course
- Those who don't support it and are probably a bit racist

A lot of cat 1 types like to accuse cat 2s of being cat 3s. Doesn’t help advance any cause but makes them feel good

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some self-righteous white people like it because it pisses off other white people?

How on earth does that help black people? The answer is that it doesn’t and the self-righteous know this and don’t give a damn.

It doesn’t necessarily help the cause, but equally I don’t think it detracts from the message. But, the idea that Gammons are furiously seething on their sofas is very much a welcome, but unintended, bonus! Win win eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here