Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brentford interested in Falmer

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Just been reading the resignation letter of Doug White, director of Brentford FC, on their official site. It contains a number of rather bitter opinions about the supporters group who are going to take over the Club. About halfway through I noticed that we were mentioned. He and Brentford FC were taking a close interest in the Falmer decision.

"It was a draft dossier of six relocation sites (excluding Lionel Road and Gillette's) and to which the recent Brighton decision, which I have been waiting for, carries some weight."

Lionel Road is the preferred site for Brentfords new stadium. It's a former rail yard quite near to Griffin Park. Mr White thinks it will be too expensive (20 million according to him) and that the SRA doesn't want to sell the land to Brentford anyway. He wants Brentford to relocate "further west", maybe even towards the green belt.

"I have confided in our Chairman that I would be prepared to underwrite the costs of promoting any one of these sites through the planning process, which would be to a public enquiry. You get very little change out of £500,000, which I was prepared to put up, particularly for a full blown scheme with a detailed EIA and planning evidence. The Falmer (Brighton) enquiry cost their club 2 million but they went about this the wrong way before sorting it out for the second run. "

Wonder how we went about it in the wrong way? Isn't 500k a little optimistic for a public enquiry, or was our case a one-off? Interesting to see at least one club was waiting on the Governments decision on Falmer. Wouldn't surprise me if there were others who may be persuaded to try for a new ground. Maybe this is part of the reason why the Green lobby are so scared of the verdict and are pushing LDC to take it court?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
'Going about it the wrong way' is a bit strong, but true, the club did not present its evidence thoroughly enough about alternative sites at the first inquiry - but then no-one else did either.

That lack of information was the main reason for Prescott re-opening the inquiry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here