Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brentford Home 1st April does not need moving (there are trains)

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Personally I'm not sure we should be running games when there are no trains available. The whole stadium transport plan relies on the majority (or at least a significant percentage) of fans arriving by train.

That said, we've no other date we can move a match to and we don't want to cancel and find the strike gets called off.

To me, the idea of moving the game earlier in the day sounds sensible. I'm not persuaded by TV commitments being the reason to keep it in place. Paying fans must come first.
Indeed. Moving the game to lunchtime would help a lot.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
You do know that there are two quite separate disputes going on; one with Network Rail (which has just been settled) and with the train operating companies (which is ongoing).

Of course if you brought infrastructure and operation together, in a publicly owned service provider say, then both planning and industrial relations might be made a whole lot easier.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
Like it was under British Rail?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A precedence has been set with Pal@rse. Ok Im appreciate its somewhat different rivalry but the transport issues are there - the lazy railways are striking. Game needs shifting to another date but when? I suggest Friday 31st 7.45pm KO. If it doesnt get moved it will feel like us fans don't matter and will the club lay on extra busses etc? That surely gets done at a loss.
The club have already said they'll put on extra buses.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Personally I'm not sure we should be running games when there are no trains available. The whole stadium transport plan relies on the majority (or at least a significant percentage) of fans arriving by train.

That said, we've no other date we can move a match to and we don't want to cancel and find the strike gets called off.

To me, the idea of moving the game earlier in the day sounds sensible. I'm not persuaded by TV commitments being the reason to keep it in place. Paying fans must come first.
Club did whatever they had to do at the time to get stadium approval over the line. And if that meant bigging-up that tiddly little station, then that's what they were always going to have to do. Highly doubt that at any point the club believed that Falmer station was/is fit for purpose. But as a half-bright brummie once said: "It is what it is" :shrug:

Last edited:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
24 hour round trip? Where do you travel from?
Although I still have family visiting rights to our old house in the West Mids(useful for away games) I now travel to most of our games from the West of Ireland. For a normal Saturday 3.00 at the Amex the journey normally goes car, coach, plane, train and then again in reverse order - usually around 24hr door to door.
It‘s one reason why any late change in start time eg 3pm to 12.30pm would be horrendous and expensive personally but hey ho - those are the risks in travelling long distances to support your team😊.
Evening games are generally harder(more expensive) to get to and some games totally unrealistic eg Palace and Grimsby last week - flights prohibitively expensive. I’ve got to just under half of our PL games this season so far.

I’m retired. I‘ll do my best to get to as many as I can. This is the most exciting time for the club in my lifetime and we play great football. Loving it!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Although I still have family visiting rights to our old house in the West Mids(useful for away games) I now travel to most of our games from the West of Ireland. For a normal Saturday 3.00 at the Amex the journey normally goes car, coach, plane, train and then again in reverse order - usually around 24hr door to door.
It‘s one reason why any late change in start time eg 3pm to 12.30pm would be horrendous and expensive personally but hey ho - those are the risks in travelling long distances to support your team😊.
Evening games are generally harder(more expensive) to get to and some games totally unrealistic eg Palace and Grimsby last week - flights prohibitively expensive. I’ve got to just under half of our PL games this season so far.

I’m retired. I‘ll do my best to get to as many as I can. This is the most exciting time for the club in my lifetime and we play great football. Loving it!
Massive respect. Does anyone travel longer distances to watch the Albion on such a regular basis? . . . I doubt it.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Southern fail TBC plan to run a servive LA to Brighton two an hour and one an hour Eastbourne to Brighton. Two per hour Seaford to Brighton. More northbound/London bound from Brighton but stops around 1900. Anticipate worse ever queues Falmer to Brighton. No wonder the club are laying on busses. Looks like you do yourself a favour on the busses if you can use them. Lets hope there are plenty. No service London-Haywards Heath-Lewes-Eastbourne so expect Falmer to Brighton (& vice-versa) to be busiest ever.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Southern fail TBC plan to run a servive LA to Brighton two an hour and one an hour Eastbourne to Brighton. Two per hour Seaford to Brighton. More northbound/London bound from Brighton but stops around 1900. Anticipate worse ever queues Falmer to Brighton. No wonder the club are laying on busses. Looks like you do yourself a favour on the busses if you can use them. Lets hope there are plenty. No service London-Haywards Heath-Lewes-Eastbourne so expect Falmer to Brighton (& vice-versa) to be busiest ever.
A pedant says . . .buses.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
You were a remorselessly moany, entitled, self-absorbed chap aren't you.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
The county’s busiest road has already been closed westbound for the last two weekends, and was due to be closed for for the third weekend in a row starting this Friday. But National Highways has announced it will now close for a fourth consecutive weekend, from 8pm on Friday, March 31, until 6am on Monday, April 3. This means the major trunk road will be closed for the first weekend of the busy Easter.

Roadworks at Lancing moved to the weekend 31Mar - 3rd April east bound closed.

Jul 7, 2003
The county’s busiest road has already been closed westbound for the last two weekends, and was due to be closed for for the third weekend in a row starting this Friday. But National Highways has announced it will now close for a fourth consecutive weekend, from 8pm on Friday, March 31, until 6am on Monday, April 3. This means the major trunk road will be closed for the first weekend of the busy Easter.

Roadworks at Lancing moved to the weekend 31Mar - 3rd April east bound closed.

That's going to be fun. Limited trains and the main road closed. Nothing like joined up thinking.
Massive respect. Does anyone travel longer distances to watch the Albion on such a regular basis? . . . I doubt it.
There are two STH I know who fly in from Berlin for games

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65015207 the lazy lot have got more pay yet still wanna strike and Brentford still likely be affected. This is just co-ordinated take it in turns strike accept offer one by one to cause as much disruption as possible.
Lazy lot lol.

I hate to break it to you, but strikes aren't there to make life easier for people (and therefore the government). Strike action is being taken to remind the public and government how much we rely on the workers and trains and that everyone deserves better (including you dear commuter). Maybe the government should have been a bit more pro-active to help avoid these measures being taken by the unions in the first place.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
The club should seriously be looking at getting compensation too! Shambolic.
I agree and I wonder if thats why the club are only putting on shuttle busses and no extra park n ride due to costs. One winner here is Seagulls travel not cheap to ride with them and they must be loving this from business perspective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here