Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brentford Home 1st April does not need moving (there are trains)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think this hits the nail on the head quite nicely. There’s absolutely no denying the train strikes have taken a lot of enthusiasm out of the away trips this season (i.e not being able to gamble on advanced train tickets to the more northern away games) but if someone’s that bothered about attending a fixture; they’ll get there.

The worst thing about it for me is I’m actually starting to enjoy travelling by road to away trips, despite being staunch train travel in the past. After Saints away Saturday, I was back in Hangleton crying into my curry by 6.45pm.

Wanting games called off for train strikes is absolutely mental. Just support your local team ffs.
Depends what sort of trip it is for me… family one, happy to drive… not so family one - train and drink 🤣

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65015207 the lazy lot have got more pay yet still wanna strike and Brentford still likely be affected. This is just co-ordinated take it in turns strike accept offer one by one to cause as much disruption as possible.
You do know that there are two quite separate disputes going on; one with Network Rail (which has just been settled) and with the train operating companies (which is ongoing).

Of course if you brought infrastructure and operation together, in a publicly owned service provider say, then both planning and industrial relations might be made a whole lot easier.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Depends what sort of trip it is for me… family one, happy to drive… not so family one - train and drink 🤣
Thankfully I can’t/don’t drive so the drink part is still doable regardless of form of transport. 🥳

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Sure I've seen that the RMT members have voted to accept a 9% payrise over 2yrs
That's the dispute with Network Rail.

The dispute with Train operators goes on and on.

Unless it is called off ( or the trains that operate are still going in the evening ) then it most likely means I'll be giving the Brentford game a miss :(

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
You have a continuous bee in your bonnet about the trains. Just accept that they are rubbish & move on! If you don't agree with the strikes then that's all good, no need to call them lazy though. As far as I know, they don't get paid when they're striking & I strongly suggest that you have no idea how hard they do or don't work when they're not striking. 🤷‍♀️

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020

Unless it is called off ( or the trains that operate are still going in the evening ) then it most likely means I'll be giving the Brentford game a miss :(
You live in Hove and if the trains are on strike , you'll give it a miss ? I'll be coming up from Dorset !!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
You live in Hove and if the trains are on strike , you'll give it a miss ? I'll be coming up from Dorset !!
I don't live in Hove no more.

There is 1 (ONE) bus I can catch but it's a risky connection and no post match social would be possible. So it doesn't appeal but I may feel different on the day.

I can get to the game... it's getting back which is the problem. Unless I sleep in a shop doorway. Lol.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
“The lazy lot”, you Tory scumbag. If you said that in my company you’d have lost a few teeth.
I'm very proud to have voted conservative at least they are doing something to stop idiots like Lynch. So many ppl get affected by the trains not just football fans travelling to matches. Remember Falmer was built on premise of ease of rail travel.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I don't live in Hove no more.

There is 1 (ONE) bus I can catch but it's a risky connection and no post match social would be possible. So it doesn't appeal but I may feel different on the day.

I can get to the game... it's getting back which is the problem. Unless I sleep in a shop doorway. Lol.
YES that's what's the main issue here i think which is why I suggest a 1230 ko would solve things if only the TV companies, PL and so on could see it from a fans perspective but hey we are the least important in all this.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

90% RMT members voted and 75% were in favour of deal offered, although Lynch said it wasn’t as high as he hoped but members said ‘this is enough’. You’d like to think same offer will be made to train operators and same outcome achieved. Here’s hoping anyhow….

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I disagree with the OP on many points but moving the game was never a realistic option I don’t think. The first time it happened was for a specific game(Palace) when a number of things conspired to make it a reasonable decision.

The absence of trains, when it’s happened, has been a major problem for many of us. It has caused me extra hassle for the Brentford game - my journey is normally a 24 hour round trip and this time it will be about 30 but I’ve chosen to do it.

Other than in truly exceptional circumstances I don’t think any game should be moved within about a month of the game itself.

I’m not bothering with your comments about lazy train drivers!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Personally I'm not sure we should be running games when there are no trains available. The whole stadium transport plan relies on the majority (or at least a significant percentage) of fans arriving by train.

That said, we've no other date we can move a match to and we don't want to cancel and find the strike gets called off.

To me, the idea of moving the game earlier in the day sounds sensible. I'm not persuaded by TV commitments being the reason to keep it in place. Paying fans must come first.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
24 hour round trip?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I disagree with the OP on many points but moving the game was never a realistic option I don’t think. The first time it happened was for a specific game(Palace) when a number of things conspired to make it a reasonable decision.

The absence of trains, when it’s happened, has been a major problem for many of us. It has caused me extra hassle for the Brentford game - my journey is normally a 24 hour round trip and this time it will be about 30 but I’ve chosen to do it.

Other than in truly exceptional circumstances I don’t think any game should be moved within about a month of the game itself.

I’m not bothering with your comments about lazy train drivers!
24 hour round trip? Where do you travel from?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here