[Football] Brentford - Am I Unfair in finding them annoying even before they've kicked a ball?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Our problem in wanting to get the same level of attention some of these teams seem to attract is that we are not a big club, we are not a small enough club, we are not northern, we are not London, we are not managed by a name, we don't have a gobshite owner, our fans don't claim to be the best in the world, we don't live off of past glories, we aren't a train wreck club. No-one really rates us, no-one gives us much hope other than relegation candidates, We are Brighton, happily cruising along under the radar...just how I like it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm conflicted.

I know I won't get a ticket for Brentford away with my points this season and cannot make the date anyway, so selfishly I wan them to stay up for one more season so I can try and go next season. And they do have a decent footballing philosophy. And, much more then seeing Ben White score a screamer tonight, there's nothing I'd like to see more than him getting dumped on his arse as one of their players strolls through to nick the game 1-0 and send AFTV into absolute meltdown.

Unfortunately, what would make that even better would be to then edit a clip of the goal and one of their rants over the top of a picture of Tony Bloom waving a fist full of tenners at them. But, that would be hugely disrespectful as we all know TB and Mathew Benham don't get on and TB will be cheering on TheArse and his erstwhile employee like Billy-Oh.

So I'll probably just have a couple of cans and enjoy the match.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
I've been to Brentford three or four times. Lost every time. Only scored ONE goal and that was in a penalty shoot out.

Although I've always liked the day out, right up to kick off. I even met Rachel form S club 7 before one game(in Covent garden, not Brentford). That was the game we scored one of our four penalties.

With your name I thought you would have been there for the cup game in 1987. Even now old Brentford fans remember the goal Garry scored. Result 2-0 to Brighton

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It is understandable as new to PL they are getting the publicity and deservingly so. Of course hope they struggle but very well run club. To not get promoted then sell 2 best players for £60m and then win play offs was outstanding. Replaced Watkins for £6m and year later he is worth £20m plus.
Interesting if they like us get in to buying players for £15/20m. Somehow dont think they would waste money like we have
Also interesting gave up Academy side because too far removed from first team and wanted there young players to play more against older players

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
I have huge admiration for Brentford and their achievement of promotion. They've overcome bigger clubs with bigger budgets and parachute payments, and all despite having lost Maupay, Watkins and Benrahma.

They have a positive manager, a new ground and they have a freshness about them. Out of all the other clubs that will finish in the bottom half of the table I hope they do the best.

Totally agree, for the last 46 years they were the closest club to where I lived. I always respected how they survived with all the big London clubs around. If I hadn't been born in Worthing I most probably would have been a Bees supporter.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I quite fancied Toney as topscorer 41-1 (did e/w) and Befred are doing an offer of £2.50 FB on top scorer for each goal scored in Aug (that's 3 games). He's their penalty taker and also if he starts well I think a bigger club may come in for him in Jan. Anyways, it makes the season a bit more interesting for me to stick a few bets on like this, before the season starts and with some reasonably good offers from the bookies. Cool story eh bro?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Small club good for them, the hype is around them till they muckup, one of the few grounds I have been to when the Albion weren't playing, corporate jobby. Also remember someone starting Norman Gall he's here he's there he's almost everywhere, years after he'd hung up his boots, great stuff!!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Definitely don’t find them annoying, I had some good away days at Brentford, nice to have another small club in the Premier League to make up the numbers, just like us.

Good luck to them, apart from when they play us.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm conflicted.

I know I won't get a ticket for Brentford away with my points this season and cannot make the date anyway, so selfishly I wan them to stay up for one more season so I can try and go next season. And they do have a decent footballing philosophy. And, much more then seeing Ben White score a screamer tonight, there's nothing I'd like to see more than him getting dumped on his arse as one of their players strolls through to nick the game 1-0 and send AFTV into absolute meltdown.

Unfortunately, what would make that even better would be to then edit a clip of the goal and one of their rants over the top of a picture of Tony Bloom waving a fist full of tenners at them. But, that would be hugely disrespectful as we all know TB and Mathew Benham don't get on and TB will be cheering on TheArse and his erstwhile employee like Billy-Oh.

So I'll probably just have a couple of cans and enjoy the match.

An absolutely minority opinion, but I too would like to see BW have a bad game, nothing personal against him, I just hate the big club picking off the best players shark soup, their fans subsequently lording it over clubs of lesser stature like ours. In saying that, I appreciate that we got an amazing price for him, but now he’s no longer playing in blue and white I’d prefer it if he had a mediocre season at best in Arsenal red.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Do you know what I feel similar. Pleased that Ben came through our system but I hardly know him and now he has gone not really bothered what happens to him.
A horrible part of me wants to go to a nearby bar, an Arsenal stronghold, and tell them they were mugs for paying that kind of money. No, that’s not worthy but if they provoke me they are gonna get it.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Under different circumstances, I would have been a Brentford fan not Brighton :ohmy:

My mother was born in Ealing and all her family were big Brentford fans, especially my grandfather who was a huge fan and 'did' the commentary for local hospital radio.

I like them, but don't like the fact they seem to have a jinx over us in recent times and I am fed up with visiting Brentford and more often than not coming home deflated after a defeat.

I would much rather Brentford stayed up than say Newcastle, Burnley.

Will cheer them on tonight, hope for a shock against Arsenal.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Really want Brentford to do well. Fact of the matter is for me, Albion should either be pushing for anywhere between 11th-14th and thus remain unconcerned about Brentford or any of the other bottom 3 contenders, or be relegated. Many fans will disagree with me but I really don’t see the point of a 5th season in a row hoping there’s 3 worse teams than us.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Really want Brentford to do well. Fact of the matter is for me, Albion should either be pushing for anywhere between 11th-14th and thus remain unconcerned about Brentford or any of the other bottom 3 contenders, or be relegated. Many fans will disagree with me but I really don’t see the point of a 5th season in a row hoping there’s 3 worse teams than us.

You are saying you would rather see us be relegated, than narrowly avoid relegation? ???

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Under different circumstances, I would have been a Brentford fan not Brighton :ohmy:

Same here. I lived in Kew between the ages of 1 and 6, and Griffin Park would have been only 15 to 20 minutes' walk from home. I am the sort that likes to support his local team, so I like to think I would have supported Brentford rather than Chelsea if we had stayed living there (Dad not having been a football fan, it's quite unlikely I would have followed the Albion). However, I might have ended up as a rugby fan, as Dad went to a rugby playing school, and the whole Kew/Richmond area is more into rugby than football judging by the pubs. Of course, we moved back to Sussex when I was 6 and my football supporting career took a different direction. I have quite painful memories of watching the Albion at Griffin Park, having gone to the two 4-0 defeats in successive seasons.

Looking at the stadium on Sky, does anyone else find the seat colours a bit weird, being all sorts of colours with individual seats next to each other different? I'd have preferred it if they'd stuck to red and white.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
You are saying you would rather see us be relegated, than narrowly avoid relegation? ???

In many ways yes, because it’d make the next season a heck of a lot more exciting in the Championship than a 6th year of battling relegation. At some point we either need to kick on or get out. Football is about excitement for me, not purely status. I know I’m probably in the minority and I completely get that, but I really won’t find this season any fun if it’s a repeat of the last couple of years.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Ben McAleer is the latest pundit I've read who seems to think that Brentford are the best equipped of the promoted teams despite finishing a full ten points behind Norwich last year: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-clubs-stay-up-brentford-norwich-and-watford

I've watched and read quite a lot of season previews and the received wisdom seems to be that Norwich haven't changed at all and will go back down, that Watford's squad isn't good enough and that they will join them, but that Brentford are going may find the top league a breeze and become the next Leeds/Sheffield United/Wolves, untroubled by a relegation scrap all season.

Now this may turn out to be the case, but i'm finding it hard to understand what has prompted this view. Brentford are a well run club who play some good football, just like Norwich. The story of the promotion to the top league after so many years has a bit of romance about it, like when Bournemouth and Brighton joined. However, they didn't walk the Championship like Wolves and Leeds did. They went up through the play offs. Based on previous years, this already makes them one of the prime candidates to get relegated. They also conceded more goals than the other two promoted sides last year, letting in 42 compared with Norwich's 36 and Watford's 30. Of the last 15 promoted teams, the only survivors who conceded more goals in their promotion season were Huddersfield and Aston Villa.

I know that it's not Brentford's fault that pundits are getting over excited about them, but it just seems like there is a different attitude to them than there was to most other relatively small teams who got promoted to the top division for the first time in the Premier League era and this has got me irritated with them already. I seem to remember that the likes of Bournemouth, us and Huddersfield were all given absolutely no chance of surviving in our first season. Now it could be that the fact that we all did has been a learning experience for pundits, but I just get the impression that they are all just desperately hoping for one of the three to be the 2021/22 version of Leeds and have picked Brentford because they aren't old news. Norwich are better than they were when they finished 20th. Watford under-performed their xp considerably to get relegated in 2020 and have bounced straight back. Neither have been given a sniff, yet the team that they both outperformed last season are feted for no obviously apparent reason.

Am I alone in finding them a bit irking already? I think that I'm starting to understand Burnley fans, who seem to dislike us for similar reasons. I have argued that the media liking Potter's football more than Dyche's is outside of our control, but yet when the shoe is on the other foot, football's ability to form irrational prejudices and snap dislikes already find me hoping that tonight, to paraphrase Attila: "Arsenal, midst fevered expectation. Those Highbury gods (tear them) to shreds".
Yes, yes you are.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Do you know what I feel similar. Pleased that Ben came through our system but I hardly know him and now he has gone not really bothered what happens to him.
A horrible part of me wants to go to a nearby bar, an Arsenal stronghold, and tell them they were mugs for paying that kind of money. No, that’s not worthy but if they provoke me they are gonna get it.

I hope he does well and generate lots of add-ons and transfer fee cuts for us!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I hope he does well and generate lots of add-ons and transfer fee cuts for us!

I know what you mean but my local sports bar here in Spain is an Arsenal stronghold. Just want to tell them they were mugs for paying 50 Million. Petty I know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports