Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brendan Rodgers to Liverpool

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gus to Swansea?

For the first time, in all these daft suggestions, this is a job, I am a LITTLE concerned he might like.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Really surprised if Rodgers goes there after supposedly turning down the chance to even speak to them originally.

Gus to Swansea?

For the first time, in all these daft suggestions, this is a job, I am a LITTLE concerned he might like.

Not for me. Villa was still the only one that I was slightly concerned on, although that seems to have gone quiet recently. Have I missed them appointing someone?!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well as its not Kenny Dalglish, you can all but guarantee the bindippers will be on Rodgers back the instant they drop points at home to someone. They'll be calling for his head before Christmas.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Gus to Swansea?

was reading swansea forum "planetswans" earlier today, few names mentioned, but the largest amount of people saying Gus is the only choice to keep their style of play and they should try and get him.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Now I might be wrong but didn't Gus apply for the Swansea job before he came here and didn't get it ?

If so, would Gus be prepared to go to a club who wouldn't take a chance on him before ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think Gus would like any EPL job. The question is would Swansea want him?

I think they might, yes. They interviewed him before, but chose Paolo Sousa.

I think he fits their type pretty well, of young ambitious manager, and has a record of playing a similar style of football.

Martinez > Sousa > Rodgers > Poyet, doesn't seem at all far-fetched to me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Now I might be wrong but didn't Gus apply for the Swansea job before he came here and didn't get it ?

If so, would Gus be prepared to go to a club who wouldn't take a chance on him before ?

Its not as though they turned him down flat though. They invited him for interview, and he was seemingly close to getting it, but ultimately they chose Sousa. Say for example, their reasoning before was that he had impressed them greatly, but they were only concerned about his lack of experience as a manager. Well, he's now ticked that box too.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Like HKFC, I'd be surprised if he isn't on their shortlist. I genuinely think he likes it at Brighton, but we know the bloke is ambitious and they could pay him a lot more on PL dosh alone. If he was approached, might also come down to how much he thinks TB is seriously going for promotion this year (ie budgets) for him to give it another go with the Albion.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Gus has said on numerous occasions he is in no rush to manage in the prem and would rather take us there, I really cant see him jumping ship without at least having another go at taking us there and I cant see him going to a relatively small prem club or one similar to ourselves, if and when he goes he will step up to larger club.
Swansea fans may think he's the best man for the Job but I really cant see Swansea tempting him away.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blimey only a week ago I was saying how good it must be to have your manager turn down a top job. I also fear Gus would be off like a shot if he got offered the job at Swansea. I can't imagine that compensation would be a problem.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Its not as though they turned him down flat though. They invited him for interview, and he was seemingly close to getting it, but ultimately they chose Sousa. Say for example, their reasoning before was that he had impressed them greatly, but they were only concerned about his lack of experience as a manager. Well, he's now ticked that box too.

You are probably right, however if Gus is true to his word that he would only leave for something special I'm not sure a club who wouldn't take a chance on him before would fit that description.

In my opinion the only available job he would go to is Villa, sure Swansea and WBA are bigger clubs but very possible they have peaked where as Villa would give him an opportunity to make a name for himself.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Well as its not Kenny Dalglish, you can all but guarantee the bindippers will be on Rodgers back the instant they drop points at home to someone. They'll be calling for his head before Christmas.

Doesn’t happen at Liverpool, Roy Hodgson is the only one they turned on and even that was pretty mild. As well as results it was the style of football they couldn’t stomach and not without some justification.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Assuming Martinez has turned them down, Rogers is always going to have the 'second best choice' hanging over his head, even though technically he declined their initial advances.

Unless Rogers hits the ground running, the Scousers will be on his case pretty quick if success isn't instant. King Kenny could have had another season of mediocrity & they wouldn't have raised barely an eyebrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here