Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Breaking News - Nigel Farage

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I must admit, with @Thunder Bolt I got this wrong, showing the dangers of guessing. A week ago we suspected that the cause was something tangible such as vast dodgy personal receipts from Putin. Would’ve made him tantamount to a traitor.

Something Chris Bryant once said in the Commons, but he daren’t say it outside parliamentary privilege.

Even Coutts are not mentioning anthing illegal or untoward in the slightest and they even had downgraded his PEP status.

Turns out to be purely based on what a small group of Coutts staff thought about his views/friends versus a corporate image NatWest/Coutts are claiming to now have.

A personal view, I don’t like Farage. But I’m suspicious of Natwest …. image is one thing, it looks good in the annual corporate report narrative pages, making all the right noises on equality, net zero. But then there’s the reality of ripping off savers and mortgage holders just now, they’re rated as having low ethics on all the websites that rate such things and they were caught accepting £100m’s in cash from money launderers
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...mitting-breaching-anti-money-laundering-rules. In addition LBC interviewed an anti Farage caller this morning who had banked with Coutts, who said their usp was offering him and all customers tax avoiding offshore products.

Appears to be a bank with very selective morals and ethics.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I must admit, with @Thunder Bolt I got this wrong, showing the dangers of guessing. A week ago we suspected that the cause was something tangible such as vast dodgy personal receipts from Putin. Would’ve made him tantamount to a traitor.

Something Chris Bryant once said in the Commons, but he daren’t say it outside parliamentary privilege.

Even Coutts are not mentioning anthing illegal or untoward in the slightest and they even had downgraded his PEP status.

Turns out to be purely based on what a small group of Coutts staff thought about his views/friends versus a corporate image NatWest/Coutts are claiming to now have.

A personal view, I don’t like Farage. But I’m suspicious of Natwest …. image is one thing, it looks good in the annual corporate report narrative pages, making all the right noises on equality, net zero. But then there’s the reality of ripping off savers and mortgage holders just now, they’re rated as having low ethics on all the websites that rate such things and they were caught accepting £100m’s in cash from money launderers
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...mitting-breaching-anti-money-laundering-rules. In addition LBC interviewed an anti Farage caller this morning who had banked with Coutts, who said their usp was offering him and all customers tax avoiding offshore products.

Appears to be a bank with very selective morals and ethics.
He was offered a NatWest account on the same day as his Coutts account was closed. His mortgage had come to an end.
He is still being offered a NatWest account.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He was offered a NatWest account on the same day as his Coutts account was closed. His mortgage had come to an end.
He is still being offered a NatWest account.

On any non-Farage nsc thread about the banks over the years, the banks (including the NatWest group) were widely loathed, including this year. Bonuses after bailouts, the 2023 rip off margin between rates, opportunists raising mortgage rates more than necessary, unethical practices, closing branches helping to destroy communities, huge profits whilst others suffer, miselling. Not to mention the NatWest’s recent criminal dealings with money launderers on an industrial scale and Coutts offshore management to help wealthy Brits escape tax.

Coutts seem more interested in image, than real world morals and ethics.

I’m no supporter of Farage, particularly loathing his passion for Trump and Putin. But Coutts appear hypocritical, cleansing a customer from their books based on his views, whilst helping billionaires avoid tax.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Or, alternatively, a bank has a very good reason for not wanting anything to do with Farage and his money and has decided to do something about it.

He's thrown his toys out of the pram, done a Donald Trump and said the world is against him and now all of a sudden people are jumping on the conspiracy theory bandwagon.

Do you honestly think banks – especially one such as Coutts – would put their reputations and business at risk because they are seen to be trying to 'cancel' someone (it's not cancelling him, is it?)?
With hindsight, obviously they would put their reputations and business at risk because they don't agree with someone's politics.

But there are even more serious charges to be levelled at the NatWest banking group. Someone talked to the BBC reporter Simon Jack about Farage's personal account and how much money he has - that, for a bank, is an absolute no-no. Whether it was Alison Rose, head of NatWest, I don't know, but it's known she did talk to him the evening before he broke the story. (As it was duff information, perhaps Jack will be less inclined to protect his "source" - especially as if the BBC has broadcast a lie, his position is going to be questioned as well.)

And of course we don't know how much Alison Rose was lying, and how much she just didn't know. Clearly when she says Coutts do not bar people for having legally held political views, that's a lie, because they do. Whether it is her lie or one that she has been fed, we don't know.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Nigel Farage fell below the financial threshold required to hold an account at Coutts, the prestigious private bank for the wealthy, the BBC has been told.
It is understood that he was subsequently offered a standard account at NatWest which owns Coutts.
Last week, Mr Farage said he believed his account had been shut for political reasons and he was turned down by seven other lenders when he went elsewhere.
But people familiar with Coutts' move said it was a "commercial" decision.
Ouch. Simon Jack has now had to say sorry for this

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Here's another question. Since Jack has been sold down the river by his source who told him a pack of lies, does that mean he has any obligation to protect his source? It seems he has been used as a tool (perhaps in both senses of the word) by someone at the bank trying to protect his or her backside.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here's another question. Since Jack has been sold down the river by his source who told him a pack of lies, does that mean he has any obligation to protect his source? It seems he has been used as a tool (perhaps in both senses of the word) by someone at the bank trying to protect his or her backside.
He could reveal his source but that would be unwise; it would be the last sauce he ever gets. Also, it is the responsibility of the journalist to ensure the information reported is correct. It would seem that he didn't do so.

I haven't read the reports but if the journalist reported 'sources are alleging' this may obviate the need for them to be true.

I will leave it to potty to dissect the content here, then he can tell the rest of you all about it.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
He could reveal his source but that would be unwise; it would be the last sauce he ever gets. Also, it is the responsibility of the journalist to ensure the information reported is correct. It would seem that he didn't do so.

I haven't read the reports but if the journalist reported 'sources are alleging' this may obviate the need for them to be true.

I will leave it to potty to dissect the content here, then he can tell the rest of you all about it.

If it was Alison Rose (CEO of NatWest group) who was the leak, then Simon Jack may have felt the source was unimpeachable! And if it was her, then the obvious next question is did she know she was lying, or had she been fed duff gen from below?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If it was Alison Rose (CEO of NatWest group) who was the leak, then Simon Jack may have felt the source was unimpeachable! And if it was her, then the obvious next question is did she know she was lying, or had she been fed duff gen from below?

It was her, now confirmed.

Head of a bank gossiped about a customer’s financial affairs with a journalist and lied.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nah, it's BBC being precious about accuracy. any other outlet wouldn't appologise for getting the story half right, for many that would be above average.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here