Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking News: EgyptAir Flight MS804 from Paris to Cairo 'disappears from radar'

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
And there's also a high probability that you have a fair amount of time to contemplate your demise as you descend from your lofty height!

And for that reason I'M OUT!

WRONG !

Above 10,000 feet there is not enough oxygen in the atmosphere to sustain human consciousness / life.
So when an aircraft suffers a decompression incident above this altitude, if you don't get an oxygen mask on within circa 10 seconds you will fall asleep with HYPOXIA.
So 10 seconds of OMG and WTF then it's lights out, no pain, no fear, nothing ....

For that reason, high altitude plane crash is a much better way to go than say, drowning, or being burnt alive or buried alive. You won't know too much about it .....

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
It always bemuses me to see just how derailed threads like this usually get. Mostly it's by the left/right knobbers. Lets see,,,,,

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Car crash: a lot of people survive;
Bus or coach crash: nearly everyone survives;
Train crash: most people survive;
Ship wreck: a lot of people survive, usually;
Plane crash: you're dead.

When I started working for the Civil Aviation Authority [Safety Regulation Group] back in the mid 90's I attended a new-starters presentation.
I can't remember the exact detail but a section of it focused on deaths per million miles travelled.
Air travel was miles [literally] safer than all other modes of transport.
The CAA strap-line is "Safety is no accident".

Mind this was mid 90's and the world has moved on, as have the stats.

I also attended an Air Accident Investigation Branch presentation or air safety and bizarrely you're more likely to die in an aircraft crash ON THE GROUND.
Highest risk point is on a twin engined aircraft with engines on the wings, losing an engine [eg bird strike] at around 50 knots during take off and post V1.

Roughly 50 knots is the minimum airspeed required to enable the rudder airflow to be sufficient to enable the pilots to steer the aircraft - below this, it's down to the jocky-wheel used for taxi-ing which is ineffective above steady taxi speed. Loss of an engine i these circumstances will cause the aircraft to veer off to left or right and pilots are unable to correct.

V1 is the point in take off where there is insufficient runway, given speed and weight, to stop the aircraft before running out of runway - so pilot is committed to being airborne [per Concorde's crash in Paris].

EDIT:
It always bemuses me to see just how derailed threads like this usually get. Mostly it's by the left/right knobbers. Lets see,,,,,

I'm a UKIP voter if this helps ....

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
WRONG !

Above 10,000 feet there is not enough oxygen in the atmosphere to sustain human consciousness / life.
So when an aircraft suffers a decompression incident above this altitude, if you don't get an oxygen mask on within circa 10 seconds you will fall asleep with HYPOXIA.
So 10 seconds of OMG and WTF then it's lights out, no pain, no fear, nothing ....

For that reason, high altitude plane crash is a much better way to go than say, drowning, or being burnt alive or buried alive. You won't know too much about it .....

or being done by a great white , crocodile or lion .....:thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When I started working for the Civil Aviation Authority [Safety Regulation Group] back in the mid 90's I attended a new-starters presentation.

Did you work at their offices on Kingsway. I also started working there in '92

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I can't remember the exact detail but a section of it focused on deaths per million miles travelled.
Air travel was miles [literally] safer than all other modes of transport.
The CAA strap-line is "Safety is no accident".

Mind this was mid 90's and the world has moved on, as have the stats.

I also attended an Air Accident Investigation Branch presentation or air safety and bizarrely you're more likely to die in an aircraft crash ON THE GROUND.
Highest risk point is on a twin engined aircraft with engines on the wings, losing an engine [eg bird strike] at around 50 knots during take off and post V1.

Roughly 50 knots is the minimum airspeed required to enable the rudder airflow to be sufficient to enable the pilots to steer the aircraft - below this, it's down to the jocky-wheel used for taxi-ing which is ineffective above steady taxi speed. Loss of an engine i these circumstances will cause the aircraft to veer off to left or right and pilots are unable to correct.

V1 is the point in take off where there is insufficient runway, given speed and weight, to stop the aircraft before running out of runway - so pilot is committed to being airborne [per Concorde's crash in Paris].

EDIT:

I'm a UKIP voter if this helps ....

It doesn't help the Albion much.
UKIP would never have allowed our trIning academy and are still fighting against the improvements.
Thank f**k for local Tory councillors, is what I say!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
ISIS claiming responsibility.

Unverified but being tweeted that ISIS has put out a statement claiming it was behind the crash.

I highly doubt any statements such as those until it's clearly proven.

The information that highlights the irregular movements of the plane before it fell is the most telling. Initially, it suggests that it may have been something other than an explosive device and more an incident on the plane itself.

Still, early days.

RIP those who suffered.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
ISIS claiming responsibility.

Unverified but being tweeted that ISIS has put out a statement claiming it was behind the crash.

Could be an opportunistic statement, ISIS is on the back foot and is losing miles of territory each day. Something like this would make them appear as though they still have a presence.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Could be an opportunistic statement, ISIS is on the back foot and is losing miles of territory each day. Something like this would make them appear as though they still have a presence.

I think they're happy to claim responsibility for chip pan fires if it makes them look threatening and strikes fear into the general populace.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I highly doubt any statements such as those until it's clearly proven.

The information that highlights the irregular movements of the plane before it fell is the most telling. Initially, it suggests that it may have been something other than an explosive device and more an incident on the plane itself.

Still, early days.

RIP those who suffered.
They have a good track record of not bullshitting. If they say they brought it down then it's pretty much nailed on. They claimed they brought down that Russian plane and that was dismissed. Proved they were right

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I stand to be corrected and maybe someone can advise but i am under the impression that the Russian airliner that was brought down was by a bomb placed by person or persons unknown (?) at Sharm el sheikh airport and aircraft side ? Now if that is the case why is there a wall of silence from the Egyptian authorities if this had happened in America the FBI would be all over the case.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
WRONG !

I assume you mean 10,000 metres? (Or yards?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here