Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking Bad V The Wire V The Sopranos V Boardwalk Empire V Others

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm up to date on Thrones and Band of Brothers.

I currently have both box sets of Sopranos and Boardwalk downloaded. Both great. Only problem is they are filling up the box. I deleted some stuff that I never got around to watching.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Dexter is being outrageously underrated here. A terrible finale shouldn't invalidate the entire series

And another vote for west wing here

If you have gone through all the big names Six feet under was an underrated classic

1. The Wire
2. Sopranos
3. Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad - Don't know.

The Wire edges the Sopranos for me as it was a genuinely different style of drama. Sopranos was good, but probably ran for 1-2 seasons longer than it should have.

Have yet to see Breaking Bad, but will correct that in the next year (just finishing Dexter final season at mo).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
1. The Wire
2. Sopranos
3. Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad - Don't know.

The Wire edges the Sopranos for me as it was a genuinely different style of drama. Sopranos was good, but probably ran for 1-2 seasons longer than it should have.

Have yet to see Breaking Bad, but will correct that in the next year (just finishing Dexter final season at mo).

I'm in agreement with your order and haven't seen Breaking Bad either.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Has anyone mentioned Prison Break yet? Season 1 in particular was amazing.

Just started breaking bad and I can tell it's going to be a good one!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Breaking Bad is the best TV I have ever seen, Mad men is also very good.

Think I am difficult to please though cause I got bored of both GoT and Boardwalk empire by the second season and never carried on.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I enjoyed House and Suits. Breaking Bad was very good, but for me at least, there will be better series out there. Game of Thrones doesn't appeal to me - not into the fantasy genre. Dexter has been over-hyped IMO. Call me a cretin if you must. 24 and Prison Break are the next ones on my list of dramas to start watching.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Breaking Bad
Thrones
Lost
Prison Break
Dexter
House of Cards
Fargo

Can't number them but all very good

1. The Wire
2. Sopranos
3. Game of Thrones
4. Breaking Bad
5. Boardwalk Empire

I've always thought The Wire was the best series of all-time and watching it a second time a couple of years back has cemented that opinion. I love all 5 but nothing compares to the magnificence of The Wire. It's so well researched and the characters are brilliantly played.

Agreed the Wire wins hands down because it combines great storytelling with an amazing moral purpose and rigorous intelligence about contemporary America.

Breaking Bad would be my No 2 because it was so brilliantly entertaining - but it's a comic book tale at the end of the day so doesn't get top spot.

Not seen Boardwalk and have to say got bored and stopped watching Sopranos by third? series, found it getting repetitive, cliched, morally confused and just not going anywhere interesting. What happened to Tony at the end, don't know and don't care.

Always watch Game of Thrones but it's glorified soap opera and doesn't deserve a mention among the top canon

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Game of Thrones followed by the Wire for me.
No one seems to have mentioned the Bridge. I've downloaded it but is it worth getting stuck into?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Yup, absolutely. As I've not seen any of the others I can't compsre, but I can't imagine anything matching the writing of The West Wing.
Of the shows mentioned so far I think I've seen most of the heavy hitters, with the exception of The Wire, and can honestly say I think The West Wing has the best writing of the lot.

Suppose it depends on what you're after though, Band of Brothers may have had slightly poorer writing but as a spectacle it was incredible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here