[Travel] Breakdown cover

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Currently three vehicles, actually personal cover with the AA on level three cover for £240 and every year have to batter the AA down on their original quote which this year is a jaw dropping £490 (at least Dick Turpin wore a mask) however a Google search throw's up plenty of other options but of companies we have never heard of,so therefore does anyone on NSC have any experience with these secondary operators in regards to breakdown call outs?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just reminded me to do mine - Essentials RAC through Compare the market, Nationwide recovery and Homestart - £32 :thumbsup:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Currently three vehicles, actually personal cover with the AA on level three cover for £240 and every year have to batter the AA down on their original quote which this year is a jaw dropping £490 (at least Dick Turpin wore a mask) however a Google search throw's up plenty of other options but of companies we have never heard of,so therefore does anyone on NSC have any experience with these secondary operators in regards to breakdown call outs?
Just talk politely to AA and mention that you may have to cancel. Every year they send me a ridiculous renewal quote which I than easily negotiate down.

To be fair I've always had brilliant service from AA so reluctant to change. You need to be wary of much cheaper options like Green Flag who are often cheap for a season. They work on a franchise model and quality of local garage used can vary greatly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
rotate through AA/RAC/Greenflag getting the new customer discount.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
With Barclay bank cover at £12.50 a month covers 2 cars and travel insurance.
This is what I do. Covers breakdowns abroad too, it's good value and a good service.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
RAC
Home start

£85 got £50 back through topcashback so paid around £35
Next year will switch to another company for new customer discount. Rinse and repeat. Same apples to broadband and TV.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not sure about prices but AA come out top in which survey for responding the quickest to call outs .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I use AA, always have to threaten to leave every renewal to get the price down dramatically. Cover is on me in any car and includes home start, recovery to a garage of my choice from wherever I am if I break down, a few days abroad, and a few other things I don’t remember. Haven’t needed to use it for years, but when I have, quick and efficient.

It is not £35 though :smile:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Green Flag do a deal that covers me, my car, my wife (who has a car) and any car either of us is driving, so both cars are covered for £96.32 for a year. I am an existing customer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Included with my ‘added value’ bank account, along with annual worldwide travel insurance, mobile phone cover and some other stuff. Works out at around £250/year for the whole lot which is good value.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Included with my ‘added value’ bank account, along with annual worldwide travel insurance, mobile phone cover and some other stuff. Works out at around £250/year for the whole lot which is good value.
Does that include home insurance?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Rated highest by Which? and their members, cheaper than rivals.

Attachments

• IMG_0522.png
    IMG_0522.png
    700.7 KB · Views: 48

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not sure about prices but AA come out top in which survey for responding the quickest to call outs .
During day hours I'd guess. I had an issue after the Palace game this year, ended up stuck in Lidl car park in Polegate at 2245 with two punchtured tyres. Rung AA who were not answering calls, automated message said to do it online. Who has the AA app on their phone, never even considered it, took 20 minutes to get downloaded and registrated with phone battery down to 20%. Finally got a phone call at about 2am, on way, eventually told couldn't help so they call me a taxi at 430 to get me home to Bexhill and they recovered the car the next morning. Simply awful service.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really? Don't you drive an Alpha?
Alfas are more reliable than Mercs and BMWs these days, not a breakdown in over 10 years :smile:

You just need to love them, abuse them and they’ll shit on you

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
During day hours I'd guess. I had an issue after the Palace game this year, ended up stuck in Lidl car park in Polegate at 2245 with two punchtured tyres. Rung AA who were not answering calls, automated message said to do it online. Who has the AA app on their phone, never even considered it, took 20 minutes to get downloaded and registrated with phone battery down to 20%. Finally got a phone call at about 2am, on way, eventually told couldn't help so they call me a taxi at 430 to get me home to Bexhill and they recovered the car the next morning. Simply awful service.

Sore Palace scummers, took it out on Albion cars!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh dear. Just tried to renew mine with LV at the excellent renewal price of £43 for home start and nationwide recovery. It was only £36 last year. I'd let it slip by a few days on renewal and now they won't give me that price as the vehicle is over 11 years old and is technically a new quote. New quote is over £90.

That'll learn me! :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports