Bread and Milk

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
A lot of the panic buying took place on Thursday, prior to the snowfall. My local Asda said it was chaos that day, yet I popped in on Friday afternoon, it was quiet and the shelves were all full again.
Part of the problem is that we have become a ' snowed in, can't get to work ' culture...i.e the slightest opportunity and people will stay at home. All major roads were fine on Friday and most minor ones were passable. It was only the side-roads that posed a problem. " Can't even get out my road "...is a favourite one. I run my own distribution business. All my staff got in on Friday and we managed to get all our deliveries done. There were problem areas but we got by.
Stock-piling food makes no sense. Do these people think they are going to be trapped in their homes for a week. Mind you, if they aren't working, then I suppose they are going to be sitting in the warm watching tv.
Keep calm, Mr. Mainwaring.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
On a related note, it does bug me a little when people say they make their own bread, as if they're some sort of ace artisan, when all they are does it piling ingredients into a machine and switching it on. That's not what I would call "making" bread.

Technically bread is being made, I agree, but it requires no knowledge or skill at all, and yes, I did buy a machine, but only used it twice.

Agreed.

We've got a machine which gets used 2 or three times a week. I always crow about how I'm making my own bread, about how healthy it is and about how much money I'm saving.

This is despite the unavoidable facts that production is literally a case of bunging stuff in the bowl and switching it on, and that the capital outlay means that it only starts really repaying after about 100 loaves.

Regardless, I shall continue to swan around, flaunting my doorstep sandwiches waiting for people to go "Ooh, that looks like a nice sandwich" before I retort with "Oh yeah, well I made the bread myself..."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How come schools are closed but supermarkets are open? Why is this?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Agreed.

We've got a machine which gets used 2 or three times a week. I always crow about how I'm making my own bread, about how healthy it is and about how much money I'm saving.

This is despite the unavoidable facts that production is literally a case of bunging stuff in the bowl and switching it on, and that the capital outlay means that it only starts really repaying after about 100 loaves.

Regardless, I shall continue to swan around, flaunting my doorstep sandwiches waiting for people to go "Ooh, that looks like a nice sandwich" before I retort with "Oh yeah, well I made the bread myself..."

Fair enough, as long as YOU know. I have made bread properly quite a few times, and it's a great thing to do - I seem to remember a particularly fine Goats cheese and raisin loaf, but as it's not packed with preservatives, it doesn't last very long. I make my own pasta too, and I love doing that.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Fair enough, as long as YOU know. I have made bread properly quite a few times, and it's a great thing to do - I seem to remember a particularly fine Goats cheese and raisin loaf, but as it's not packed with preservatives, it doesn't last very long. I make my own pasta too, and I love doing that.

Yeah it goes stale quicker - I presume due to the lack of additives but that's guesswork.

And it does make the ktchen smell nice too.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yeah it goes stale quicker - I presume due to the lack of additives but that's guesswork.

And it does make the ktchen smell nice too.

Must be, there is no way a loaf of Mothers Prides finest can last a week and still be usable naturally. Doesn't stop me buying though because I can only shop once a week.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't eat much bread, the odd tiger baguette here and there. My Mum used to make breas in a machine and it was always really porous but hard, like coral. Disgusting. Don't think she was doing it right though.

Oddsocks

May 1, 2012
Must be, there is no way a loaf of Mothers Prides finest can last a week and still be usable naturally. Doesn't stop me buying though because I can only shop once a week.

Spot on....A home made loaf will stale quickly but not mould. Once stale it makes the best toast and bread puddings, breadcrumbs etc. A sweaty plastic bag kept loaf full of chemicals will appear fresh after many days and then go mouldy and be good for nothing.

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
On a similar note, why is it the only things people panic buy are bread and milk?

Do people just make giant milky bread dishes when it snows? Why have enough bread for a sandwich and no filling?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A lot of people couldn't get out Friday / Saturday so will have depleted their stocks, then gone out yesterday / today.

I had to give a van a shove to get it started up a hill on Saturday, so I don't blame some people from staying in.

SACK MY COOK

Oct 11, 2012
On a related note, it does bug me a little when people say they make their own bread, as if they're some sort of ace artisan, when all they are does it piling ingredients into a machine and switching it on. That's not what I would call "making" bread.

Technically bread is being made, I agree, but it requires no knowledge or skill at all, and yes, I did buy a machine, but only used it twice.

Can a bread machine make a sliced loave?

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Buy yourself a bread maker and a cow, problem solved!

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
On a similar note, why is it the only things people panic buy are bread and milk?

Do people just make giant milky bread dishes when it snows? Why have enough bread for a sandwich and no filling?

Exactly what's it all about? I eventually managed to pick up some bread, milk cheese, ham, mayo and a newspaper! All sorted! ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports