Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brazil 2014 - Best World Cup since...?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Since 2006. Other than the usual England sob-story, I enjoyed 2006 as much as this one.

2010 was forgettable. Can just about remember the thugs De Jong and Van Bommel trying to kick their way to a WC, and being rightly condemned by Cruyff and fellow countrymen.

1986 and 1990 were very memorable and enjoyable for me, although the media describe 1990 as the Nadir of global football with back-passing to goalies who collected and then time-wasted reaching epic proportions, resulting in rule changes.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Italia '90 was my favourite WC and was when I fell in love with football. The knock out games with Cameroon and West Germany were just out of this world as a 9 year old.

If this World Cup continues the way it's going with last ditch drama and entertainment it will be second followed by France '98.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
In my lifetime its certainly been the best I can remember. Too young for 98, 2002 was okay, Germany's tournament was very good, 2010 very forgettable but this has reached utterly new heights personally. Shame that means Russia won't measure up in four years!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Exc England bias, best ever, otherwise since '90 TV wise (attending eng v Argies 98 greatest direct memory)
Financially best in life, over a bag up so far

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
To me this one lacks the really big stars: Eusebio, Pele, Socrates, Beckenbauer, Jairzinho, Revillino, Maradona, Platini, Zidane, Cruyff, Ronaldo.

The only one is Messi.

Therefore, not as good as 1970.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I think this World Cup is really petering out at the knockout stages. Don't think there's been a single upset in who has progressed, and the vast majority of the games have been pretty dull. The straight knockout stage should produce lots of excitement, and hopefully last minute drama (since unlike a league, there's no chance to make up for lost points), but apart from Belgium/USA it has been a massive damp squib.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here