Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brass Band at AMEX - GOSBTS

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
From the Argus:

Sussex by the Sea could be performed to Seagulls fans by a full brass band at the new American Express Community Stadium.

Musicians are hoping Brighton and Hove Albion will agree to a nod towards its past by allowing brass bands to perform its famous anthem in the new ground.

The club has agreed to listen to the ideas put forward by the Mid Sussex Brass Band to see if they are appropriate.

The band, in its former guise as the Haywards Heath Brass Band, was a regular fixture at the club’s Goldstone ground in the 1960s.

Now members hope to join with other brass bands in Brighton and Hove and beyond to help the club start their season in the Championship with a swing.

Paul Homewood, band secretary, said: “The Haywards Heath Brass Band was a very important fixture in Albion games at the Goldstone for a long time.

“They would come on to the pitch to play Sussex By The Sea and the whole crowd would sing along.

“It’s nice the club still has that connection with the song but it would be even better if it was played by a real brass band.”

The band, which merged with Burgess Hill brass band in 1986, played for 11 years at the Goldstone. There were performances before kick-off and at half-time.

Albion’s managing director, Ken Brown, said: “We are happy to look at what they are proposing and see if it’s appropriate.”

To find out more about the Mid Sussex Brass Band go to http://www.msbb.net.

Would you like to see brass bands playing Sussex by the Sea at the Amex? Tell us what you think by writing to our letters page, emailing letters@theargus.co.uk or commenting below.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: - For the First Home League Game please!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For the first game of the season at The Amex I would prefer the club splash out on something special like The Band of The Grenadier or Coldstream Guards or if not make do with The Royal Marines. We could then use The Mid Sussex Band occassionally for other games.

Incidentally when I was boss at The Cricketers in Burgess Hill in about 2002, I sent an e mail to that band suggesting they contact the club to do that at Withdean but had no response, It seems that now we have Falmer everybody wants to get in on the act, which is not a bad thing.

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
What about the Christ's Hospital Band, who I believe ahve GOSBTS as their signature tune. It's good enough for Lords and Twickenham so might be ok for us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Christ's Hospital Band to a superb rendition of GOSBTS - especially at Lord's.
Posted this a minute ago but it didnt appear so if it comes up twice sorry.

Christs Hospital did ok at Withdean but they couldnt be heard very well not sure if it was their fault or just the bad amplification or accoustics at Withdean. I do not know anything about that side of things.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
recorder and triangle

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good call on CH as several ex Housy people post on NSC.

The only problem was last time they did this when the teams came out GOSBTS was drowned out by the noise of the crowd however maybe they could be connected to the speaker system at the Amex.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Metropolitan Police Band played at Highbury before every game for years hence the question who has played at Highbury the most times .................The Bass Drummer of The Metropolitan Police Band.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment Kohima Band - the successor to the Royal Sussex Regiment.

With the history of 'Sussex by the Sea' this band is surely the most appropriate!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I was rather hoping for the Wivelsfield & District Kazoo Ensemble, but I suppose a brass band will do.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Good call on CH as several ex Housy people post on NSC.

The only problem was last time they did this when the teams came out GOSBTS was drowned out by the noise of the crowd however maybe they could be connected to the speaker system at the Amex.

That would be my fear too. Much as we'd like to think that 20,000 people would be singing the words to GOSBTS as the band played, the reality is more likely to be that the music was drowned out by "Albion, Albion, Albion ..." Still, worth a go, especially if the music could be amplified, as Beach Hut suggests.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
That would be my fear too. Much as we'd like to think that 20,000 people would be singing the words to GOSBTS as the band played, the reality is more likely to be that the music was drowned out by "Albion, Albion, Albion ..." Still, worth a go, especially if the music could be amplified, as Beach Hut suggests.

f*** that , i'll be in the bar

D

Deleted User X18H

Yes but we had a Brass Band for the first game at Withdean againsty Forest,and you couldn't hear them very well, it kind of got lost from the centre circle to the stands. Brass Bands , Christs Hosptial Coldstream Guards, are all very well, but the first GOSBTHS will be massive. To be honest I'd rather have it blasting out the the speakers so it makes your ears bleed. Can the band sound br fed into the speaker system?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here