A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Apologies if fixtures

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

thing is the RMT is running disputes with nationalised Network Rail and Scotrail, alongside the private run train companies. so why isnt iit fair to highlight the role of RMT, who balloted for strikes before any negotiations even started? they wanted industrial action (even said so), have it and will at some point decide to end it with half the issues disappearing. note agreemet with TSSA above, nothing mentioned on many issues RMT say are sticking points.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
thing is the RMT is running disputes with nationalised Network Rail and Scotrail, alongside the private run train companies. so why isnt iit fair to highlight the role of RMT, who balloted for strikes before any negotiations even started? they wanted industrial action (even said so), have it and will at some point decide to end it with half the issues disappearing. note agreemet with TSSA above, nothing mentioned on many issues RMT say are sticking points.
Isn't the RMT's dispute with the RDG, which includes Network Rail and Scotrail?

The RMT balloted for strikes before negotiations when Network Rail said thousands of compulsory redundancies were required.

Half the issues may well disappear - because that is what negotiating and compromising is. You don't go into a negotiation saying it's not really a sticking point, it's something we'd just like to have.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I posted the top one in post 191. Robert is particularly interesting because in another of his tweets he says he remembers the bombs and doodlebugs in WW2. which makes him at least 88. A bit old to still be a train driver.

As for StubbsyRN There was a 'Brighton fan' who almost exclusively posted in the Bear Pit and claimed to be ex RN.
StubbsyRN is Baker Lite.

He would very often proudly post about how he was a Union member who would lead picket lines and "fill people in".

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Unfortunately so many people believe the press, and biased interviews where presenters allow government spokesmen to spout lies, without challenging them.
When these disputes spring up, it is often difficult to properly get to grips with what is really at stake, as you only hear what the politician and on the other side, union militant want you to hear, plus the fact that they are rarely pressed or challenged. As my mate always says -there are 3 sides to every story-your version, my version, and the total truth. By the way you are conistent aren't you? You would feel exactly the same way when Lynch et al are interviewed -wouldn't you? . . .

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
When these disputes spring up, it is often difficult to properly get to grips with what is really at stake, as you only hear what the politician and on the other side, union militant want you to hear, plus the fact that they are rarely pressed or challenged. As my mate always says -there are 3 sides to every story-your version, my version, and the total truth. By the way you are conistent aren't you? You would feel exactly the same way when Lynch et al are interviewed -wouldn't you? . . .
I imagine that has something to do with the nature of news media reporting - nothing more boring than quoting a balanced, middle of the road view in this life and in these days of social media, ‘truth’ is often what who ever shouts the loudest says it is.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Isn't the RMT's dispute with the RDG, which includes Network Rail and Scotrail?

The RMT balloted for strikes before negotiations when Network Rail said thousands of compulsory redundancies were required.

Half the issues may well disappear - because that is what negotiating and compromising is. You don't go into a negotiation saying it's not really a sticking point, it's something we'd just like to have.
Network rail might be represented in RDG, they have a seperate dispute. example, the Christmas strikes are covering Network Rail workers, not the train companies - signalmen and engineering will be off but stations would be open, trains would be manned (unable to travel). they've been playing this ping pong between groups to maintain number of strikes with fewer strike days for workers (less money lost). Scotrail is devolved, all Scottish affair which highlights another point, two "governments" involved.

point about the issue disappearing is issues billed as red-lines, safety, concern for passengers evaporate once key pay objectives met. see last two strikes with Southern. DOO is here, ticket offices roles where changed. the service did not end, improved imo until covid.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Of course, which is why I listen to politicians, Chief Execs, the union leaders and the actual workers. That way I find out what's really going on.
Yes, I am consistent, as most people on this board will testify.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I see the Tory's are building coal mines again. Se we can have another miner's strike?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Postal workers
Rail workers
Underground rail workers
Nurses
Teachers
GP's
Ambulance crew
Border force workers
Social care workers

All forced to strike so they can afford to feed their families and heat their homes. All hailed as heroes and now decried as enemies by the despicable, lying scum that is the Tory government. The bloody Tory's. May they all rot in agony in Hell.

2022: The year Britain imploded.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Are Southern largely unaffected by the train strikes this week? I thought they were every day except Thursday, but can see services running

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here