Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradley Wiggins Knighthood?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
All honours are bogus.

Did you watch Undercover Boss in the care industry ? Every bloody worker deserved as much praise at least as our sportspeople and any shed load of actors (whose business is,after all,pretence).

Scrap this idiotic nonsense,and do it yesterday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's currently on record as saying he'd turn down a knighthood if offered one, so no I don't expect Sir Brad any time soon.
An easy thing to say, when it's not been offered.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Why hasn't Ringo Starr been knighted? He's done more for music in this country and the world than most other people. It is a disgrace.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
What about David Beckham, IMO should defiantly be knighted. Has done a lot for the country, getting Olympics and world cup bid.

Suspect his living in LA isn’t helping his cause.

like what has he done for this country.

winners of the world cup only got MBEs and OBEs. Beckham for all his being abrilliant player hasnever appeared in a major international final for England.

But I like the idea of being DEFIANTLY knighted.

Dragged in front of the Queen shouting "No no no I don't want it. Stick to sword where the sun don't shine your maj!!"

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This 'most successful' tag is an odd one. Yes, Wiggins has more medals than Redgrave, but not as many golds. If that makes BW the most successful, presumably if an athlete were to win eight bronze medals (and no others), they would take title from him. Is that why some people insist on it being most decorated, not most successful?

The medals table is done on most gold medals, so, for me, Redgrave, with five golds at five Olympics, is still top. Can't fault Wiggins' year though. Tremendous effort.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
Wiggins has a CBE already so its nailed on after this year. Dave Brailsford will definately get one too for his role in British cycling and team sky. Both very well deserved.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Wiggins has a CBE already so its nailed on after this year. Dave Brailsford will definately get one too for his role in British cycling and team sky. Both very well deserved.

One problem could be that there is a usual gap of five years between awarding a CBE and a KBE. Wiggins got his CBE in 2009 so they might have to imoress upon the palace a need for an exception. Couild be a stumbling block????

On 31 December Wiggins was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2009 New Year Honours

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
One problem could be that there is a usual gap of five years between awarding a CBE and a KBE. Wiggins got his CBE in 2009 so they might have to imoress upon the palace a need for an exception. Couild be a stumbling block????

On 31 December Wiggins was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2009 New Year Honours

Oh right ok I wasn't aware of that. It would be a shame not to honour him for the year he's had though. What was the gap between Chris Hoy's CBE and Knighthood? (assuming he received a CBE)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
absolute shoe in for sports personality of the year though!!!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
bradley wiggins legendary status is now cast in stone

in the future, grand children will ask you "was he really that good?"

yes,he was :bowdown:

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Three of Brad's olympic golds have been for individual events, Redgrave has never won an individual (olympic) event. The tour de France is a bigger accomplishment than any olympic medal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Three of Brad's olympic golds have been for individual events, Redgrave has never won an individual (olympic) event. The tour de France is a bigger accomplishment than any olympic medal.

Tour de France is a team sport though, still a great win but couldn't have done it without the team around him.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Oh right ok I wasn't aware of that. It would be a shame not to honour him for the year he's had though. What was the gap between Chris Hoy's CBE and Knighthood? (assuming he received a CBE)

don't worry, won't be a problem

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Hoy was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) "for services to cycling" in the 2005 New Year Honours.[18]

Hoy was knighted in the 2009 New Year Honours "for services to Sport

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why hasn't Ringo Starr been knighted? He's done more for music in this country and the world than most other people. It is a disgrace.
He's not even the best knight in The Beatles.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Went up today, watched from Esher and managed to catch the top 12 riders twice due to the loop style circuit around that part. EVERYBODY was completely for the idea when somebody brought it up, must've been 50 or 60 people I heard myself suggest the idea alone. Today was incredible, so many people, 95% of which knew nothing about cycling, but I guess that's the whole point of these games to an extent, inspiring a generation.

This goes beyond what Kelly Holmes has done in sport IMO, and that's no disrespect to Kelly whatsoever. She's got one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here