Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradley Johnson likely to go back to Leeds?

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
Not seen this elsewhere on here. Sorry if it is.

Albion manager Micky Adams is resigned to losing the goalscoring prowess from midfield of Bradley Johnson.

The loan signing from managerless Leeds completes his stint with the Seagulls in the Christmas and New Year fixtures at home to Colchester on Boxing Day, at Swindon two days later and against his old club Northampton at Withdean on January 3.

Johnson, who has scored four goals in eight games so far for Albion, has been linked with a January move from Elland Road.

Premier League pair Hull and West Brom are among the clubs thought to be keeping tabs on the 21-year-old Londoner and, although Adams would like him to stay, he accepts that is a forlorn hope.

“I would like to keep him but I think the likelihood is he will be going back,” Adams said. “There is other interest in him from other clubs.

“The likelihood is we are going to lose him, because he will have other options.”

Johnson missed training yesterday with a tooth abscess but he will be available to face Colchester, which is the final home game of Kevin Thornton’s loan spell from Coventry.

Thornton returns to the Midlands after Sunday’s trip to Swindon. Ipswich left-back Matt Richards also finishes his loan spell against Northampton, while Stuart Fleetwood is due to go back to Charlton after Albion’s visit to Walsall on January 10.

Adams admits his players owe the Withdean faithful a performance after losing 4-2 to MK Dons in their last home outing.

The Seagulls slipped into the relegation zone with Saturday’s unfortunate 1-0 defeat at Tranmere and Adams said: “We owe them something.

“When you are in the position we are in you expect criticism and you can’t hide away from it.

“I’d be disappointed if I was a Brighton fan at the moment but, in the situation we find ourselves in, they have got to get behind everybody.

“We’ve got to show we are not as bad as people are making out we are. We did everything we possibly could at Tranmere.

“The fighting spirit was there. We played some good football, were unlucky in front of goal, hit the post twice, had other chances and should have had a penalty. You can’t do any more than that to try and win the game.

“We were disappointed to get nothing but I was pleased with it. There are ways to lose games.

“I’ll accept it when we have a go and play some decent stuff, I won’t accept half-hearted performances like MK Dons at home, where we really didn't show any sort of spirit.”

Would be a huge blow if he does go back. I can't see too many teams being happy to let us keep / send us loan players when we are struggling and many of the players we do / have had hardly figure in the starting team.

I think Johnson going back could be the start of a slide which ends up with us starting Virgo and El Abd centre mid.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
He hasn't really looked like a Premier League midfielder has he? Bit strange if that's true, it will be a blow to lose him though.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
We were always going to lose him, class act and im amazed Leeds haven't been playing him. Prem is a bit much for him I would have thought but mid table championship would suit him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whilst he has scored four (thought it was only 3) he does tend to be a bit anonymous for most of the 90 minutes. Of the two, I would rather keep Thornton and remain puzzled as to why Adams does play him for longer!

As for saying the loanees owe us a performance for the MK Dons game, I think it is the defence that owe us a performance and not just for the MK Dons game but for every single home league game apart from 135 minutes (second 45 against Leicester and 90 against Millwall).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here