Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradford City on the brink

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
instances like this should really serve as a lesson to those supporters who demand that their chairman fork out a fortune in transfer fees and wages because their club has been promoted.

if you overstretch yourself like that, this is the inevitable outcome. teams like west brom and charlton have got it right, build conservatively and don't get too far ahead of yourselves.

personally i would rather we got relegated next season, with exactly the same squad that we currently have, than take a huge gamble on wages and transfer fees.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Ground sharing, now that is an interesting proposition, I am old enough to remember the suggestion that the Albion and Palace build and share a ground near Gatwick Airport and the opposition that little idea received.

I suppose all these years later, if it had happened, and either or both clubs had been in the Premiership and playing in front of huge crowds then we wouldn't be complaining, however the idea was particularly unattractive at the time.

Set of Tracksuits hits the nail on the head, it is better to try and succeed if you get promoted without selling the family jewels (as per Wolves and the other Albion) then go down after one season having enjoyed the experience then try to bounce back again (as we have done).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Lessons from our own plight......Get behind the story before casting your opinion. And I very much doubt a lot of the derogative remarks on here are fair. In fact some of them make me ashamed of my fellow BHA supporters. Where's the charity and pity for their fans, regardless that's it previous board members fault? We shouldn't even be debating it given our history. Just show solidarity. And for those who might have forgotten, we haven't got Falmer yet

If you look at their club website it's as serious as it gets - "the villain of the piece" won't budge, they've announced all employees will be made redundant tomorrow etc. It's certainly going to be a very long night in Bradford. Let's not revel in it....or

Sergi Gotsmanov

Feb 23, 2004
West of Palookaville
Makes you realise that even though our position looks grim sometimes at least we are in with a fighting chance and we have a team who are performing that people are willing to pay to watch and travel long distances.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Withdean looks somewhat beautiful compared to their plight.

Let's hope something positve will rise from these embers

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bradford could share with the Bulls at Odsal.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
sams dad said:
Didn't they use Odsal while Valley Parade was being re-built after the tragic fire?

Yes which why I posted that.

They would no more share with Huddersfield or Leeds than we would with Palace.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
wat a sorry mess bradford seem to have been in this state for about 5 years now they nearly went bust just before nicky law took over

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
saltash seagull said:
wat a sorry mess bradford seem to have been in this state for about 5 years now they nearly went bust just before nicky law took over

That was 2 years ago. They managed to sell the half million pound house they bought for Carbone (as well as the thousands they were paying him each week) so that they could pay the players wages.
They did manage to get out of administration then but have gone back into it.

Stumpy Tim

Some of the opinions being spouted on this thread make me ashamed to be an Albion fan. It's an absolute disgrace. I bet there were Bradford fans at Fans United, and they support us at Falmer. And this is the repayment - very nice.

The ONLY difference between Bradford & us are that their financial mismanagement happened during a successful period, while ours occurred when we were on our way down. That's it. All these comments are pure jealousy - as if it serves them right because their former chairman f***ed them while being successful. Get a grip

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Stumpy Tim said:
Some of the opinions being spouted on this thread make me ashamed to be an Albion fan. It's an absolute disgrace. I bet there were Bradford fans at Fans United, and they support us at Falmer. And this is the repayment - very nice.

The ONLY difference between Bradford & us are that their financial mismanagement happened during a successful period, while ours occurred when we were on our way down. That's it. All these comments are pure jealousy - as if it serves them right because their former chairman f***ed them while being successful. Get a grip

The fans were quite happy to see all the silly spending on players who basically took the mickey like Colleymore and Carbone, thinking it would keep them in the Premiership.

They were the ones who stayed away when they got relegated to division one.
I was there 16 months ago when we beat them 1-0 and the stands were practically empty.
If the fans don't support them and pay the money then do they wonder why they go into administration.

Bradford is far more dedicated to Rugby League than football.

Stumpy Tim

Yorkie said:
The fans were quite happy to see all the silly spending on players who basically took the mickey like Colleymore.

At the time there was so much money in football that this seemed normal. Loads of clubs were doing the same, and if Brighton had got there I wouldn't be surprised if we had done the same. You can't blame the fans for believing the chairman who said they had the money.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Stumpy Tim said:
At the time there was so much money in football that this seemed normal. Loads of clubs were doing the same, and if Brighton had got there I wouldn't be surprised if we had done the same. You can't blame the fans for believing the chairman who said they had the money.

I agree but why stay away when they got relegated and needed the income because the ITV digital money failed to materialise.

If the fans don't support the club then how are they going to survive?

Btw aren't you glad that DK didn't spend the mythical ITV money?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Stumpy Tim said:

I agree Stumpy -- and Portlock Seagull has the right idea too.

It's a simple case of the board doing the supporters over. Which is just what happened to us.

It's no wonder that we have fewer friends among other clubs than we did at the time of Fans United.

Tomorrow could be a very black day for league football.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:

It's no wonder that we have fewer friends among other clubs than we did at the time of Fans United.

We've just been voted Best Fans in the country by other supporters clubs

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Without wishing to sound pejorative about supporters' clubs... that's probably because our higher-profile supporters are very good at PR and networking in forums like the Federation of Football Supporters.

I get lots of grief from Carlisle fans who came to support us at Fans United and then heard us singing "going down going down" to them at Withdean.

Based on anecdotal evidence, I suspect the attitude among many other fans is the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here