Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza Tweet

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What does that even mean though, really? For what its worth, I'm happy for them to attack down that side - I'm more confident that Chicksen (who has bags of pace) and Upson can deal with anyone on that side - more so than Bruno & Greer or whoever is on the right!

But attacking down our left to do what? Sling crosses in?

Seriously, if you don't know what it means, you need help! But you do, since you then go on to claim our left-hand side (without a new LB signing) will be stronger than the right! It won't, of course.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus has left, no'one attacks a Garcia side, we attack them

I admire your optimism, but there will be 2 teams playing on Sat, and both will attack.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Seriously, if you don't know what it means, you need help! But you do, since you then go on to claim our left-hand side (without a new LB signing) will be stronger than the right! It won't, of course.

I just think our current options are fine defensively, and we'd be paying more money for a better rounded left back who can also contribute offensively. I trust Calde if he's played there too. I don't think our current options will lead McDermott to instruct Leeds to focus on that side and I wouldn't be worried about us defensively, although I do agree with you that our chances of winning would increase with a better quality left back, particularly as I expect us to move and counter attack quite quickly under Oscar when we are away from home and as I have said, I think more money on a left back would get us a better rounded/better offensive one.

Guess we'll see what happens on Saturday...

Just a quick edit: I am playing devil's advocate here, and hope that I haven't come across as abrasive as some on here!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I still think to be confident of promotion we need a decent, fast, ball-playing centre-back. That Dutch lad from Groningen fitted the bill.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I still think to be confident of promotion we need a decent, fast, ball-playing centre-back. That Dutch lad from Groningen fitted the bill.

I'd agree with that. But I guess from your comment that you aren't confident of Dunk stepping up? Which I'm also tempted to agree with, although it is early days...

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Out of interest, what made you so confident that it would be different?

Not a dig, perhaps said LB has made extra demands that we're not happy with

It was put to me earlier this week that we were extremely close to signing a left back and that it should be in place for Leeds.
Tony laughed off that idea, so either something has gone wrong with that or I was given duff info. Sucks either way though.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
It was put to me earlier this week that we were extremely close to signing a left back and that it should be in place for Leeds.
Tony laughed off that idea, so either something has gone wrong with that or I was given duff info. Sucks either way though.

Fair enough and thanks for sharing. Perhaps that was the case earlier on the week, but these things can change very quickly.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Or "extremely close" is more about perspective. Monday is extremely close in comparison to, say, the FA cup final.
Or tony is keeping his cards close to his chest, a negotiation tactic
Or your source overstated it a bit
Or maybe nothing has "gone wrong" just a step has taken longer than expected, some administrative delay or something.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Or "extremely close" is more about perspective. Monday is extremely close in comparison to, say, the FA cup final.
Or tony is keeping his cards close to his chest, a negotiation tactic
Or your source overstated it a bit
Or maybe nothing has "gone wrong" just a step has taken longer than expected, some administrative delay or something.

I suspect it's that.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I just think our current options are fine defensively, and we'd be paying more money for a better rounded left back who can also contribute offensively. I trust Calde if he's played there too. I don't think our current options will lead McDermott to instruct Leeds to focus on that side and I wouldn't be worried about us defensively, although I do agree with you that our chances of winning would increase with a better quality left back, particularly as I expect us to move and counter attack quite quickly under Oscar when we are away from home and as I have said, I think more money on a left back would get us a better rounded/better offensive one.

Guess we'll see what happens on Saturday...

Just a quick edit: I am playing devil's advocate here, and hope that I haven't come across as abrasive as some on here!

Not at all. Sounds like we have fairly similar views. Anyway, Tony confirmed no new signings for Sat.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Such a shame the LB didn't materialise yet. Just feel like we're a little half-baked.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think we are all suffering a bit from the comparison with what we had last season. Wayne Bridge was unbelievably talented for us to have at LB, and we were never going to replace him like for like.

If we were to roll our expectations back 12 months, then with us looking at the likes of Mattock, and suddenly Calderon at LB is not a serious problem, and an upgrade on Painter.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not expecting someone of WB's calibre, but if we are serious about challenging for promotion this season we at least need a good Championship standard LB. Not a RB playing at LB!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here