Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Boys from the blackstuff

virgs

Aug 31, 2004
During my time at Pebble Mill, I worked on Yosser’s Story as a dubbing editor . As the only film episode it ended up as the best of the series .I remember working on the sound fx. For the scene where Yosser head butts a lamppost- there were something like 12 different fx, including a cooked chicken carcass being smashed, and a water melon .It was a series made in the wake of ‘Nuts in May ‘ another classic to come out of BBC Pebble mill drama dept.
Here’s an interview with the film editor Greg who worked on both.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
During my time at Pebble Mill, I worked on Yosser’s Story as a dubbing editor . As the only film episode it ended up as the best of the series .I remember working on the sound fx. For the scene where Yosser head butts a lamppost- there were something like 12 different fx, including a cooked chicken carcass being smashed, and a water melon .It was a series made in the wake of ‘Nuts in May ‘ another classic to come out of BBC Pebble mill drama dept.
Here’s an interview with the film editor Greg who worked on both.

Interesting. Nuts in May is a classic Mike Leigh. I never knew Pebble Mill made it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Really don’t know where to start on this one as I see myself as a bit of an expert having watched it about 2000 times, heartbreaking/thought provoking/even hilarious at times. As a lefty I particularly liked Snowy Malone until his sad demise.

‘One Summer’ and to a degree ‘Our Day Out’ make equally grim viewing.

Auf Wiedersehen Pet also took, albeit in a light hearted way, a social commentary of the time in series one however (and I really loved the programme) the storyline of S3 and S4 became ridiculous.
Cathy come home?

This is when TV opened the eyes of people who, cocooned in their silo, had no idea what life was like for others.

That was most of us.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Cathy come home?

This is when TV opened the eyes of people who, cocooned in their silo, had no idea what life was like for others.

That was most of us.
Some of us are old enough to remember Cathy Come Home first time around…..

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bernard Hill is the only actor to have appeared in two films which each won 11 Academy Awards.
Not a lot of people know that.
This was so long ago I’ve forgotten the films. One must be Titanic. Was he the Captain or a crew member

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some of us are old enough to remember Cathy Come Home first time around…..
Indeed.

I was a Dennis Potter man, myself. I haven't watched (and won't watch) Brimstone and Treacle, or Black Eyes, but the rest is magical. The end of Cold Lazarus found me with something in my eye. The Singing Detective is, to me, absolute perfection, even if the bit when Marlow recollects with bitter remorse the beating of little Binney has me in floods just thinking about it. I could watch it again, but not right now.

I also appreciate that the books and plays and music we find impactful, we find impactful because they happen to arrive when we are ripe to receive them. That's all. That's why I love the Gabriel Genesis and hate the Collins Genesis. The value judgements are all backfilled with pompous cant to justify our whims, of course. And I'm as guilty as anybody for promoting my preferences as if they have Great Merit.

Not that I am necessarily wrong. Paper Lace versus the Mahavishnu Orchestra? Whoever was 'ripe' when Paper Lace came along has my sincere sympathies :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here