Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Boy, 5, given £15.95 invoice for missing friend's birthday party

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It does not surprise me too much that this is a Cornwall story.
Looking forward to tonights local news to see them interviewed.
Or if you have sky you can watch BBC South West.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
My youngest was about 7 when he went to a friend's party and was given a party bag full of Man Utd branded stuff. Ruler, pencil, rubber...that sort of stuff. Completely of his own volition, he took everything with Man Utd out the bag and handed it back to the mother of the party boy. "I don't want these thankyou. I support Brighton".

I was a proud dad that day.

That was beautiful.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm quite enjoying the BBC legal correspondent taking the piss out of it:

Analysis: Clive Coleman, BBC legal correspondent
It is all but impossible that Ms Lawrence will be able to recover the £15.95 party "no show fee".
Any claim would be on the basis that a contract had been created, which included a term that a "no show" fee would be charged.
However, for there to be a contract, there needs to be an intention to create legal relations. A child's party invitation would not create legal relations with either the child "guest" or its parents.
If it is being argued that the contract is with the child, it is inconceivable that a five-year-old would be seen by a court as capable of creating legal relations and entering into a contract with a "no show" charge.
It's amusing to imagine what a children's party invitation seeking to create a contract might say: "I, the 'first party', hereinafter referred to as the 'birthday boy', cordially invite you the 'second party', hereinafter referred to as 'my best friend', to the party of 'the first party'.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm quite enjoying the BBC legal correspondent taking the piss out of it:

Analysis: Clive Coleman, BBC legal correspondent
It is all but impossible that Ms Lawrence will be able to recover the £15.95 party "no show fee".
Any claim would be on the basis that a contract had been created, which included a term that a "no show" fee would be charged.
However, for there to be a contract, there needs to be an intention to create legal relations. A child's party invitation would not create legal relations with either the child "guest" or its parents.
If it is being argued that the contract is with the child, it is inconceivable that a five-year-old would be seen by a court as capable of creating legal relations and entering into a contract with a "no show" charge.
It's amusing to imagine what a children's party invitation seeking to create a contract might say: "I, the 'first party', hereinafter referred to as the 'birthday boy', cordially invite you the 'second party', hereinafter referred to as 'my best friend', to the party of 'the first party'.
It must have felt like Christmas had come early (or, actually, slightly late) for him.

'She wants to take them to court for what?! Let me fetch my mocking pen...'

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree with all of the above. Absolutely outrageous. Just because they've said they'll go shouldn't mean they have to. Accepting an invite clearly still gives you the option to back out and do something else if a better offer comes along or you just don't feel like it.

Bit like being an Amex season ticket holder!!!

For revenge purposes the invoiced boy's parents should have sold their story to The Sun for £15.95 on the proviso that they present the payment to the party parents via one of those massive "charity-style" cheques.

I've got to say, the Telegraph have also missed out on great headline potential:

"PISTE OFF PARENTS INVOICED FOR PARTY NO SNOW NO SHOW"

Or a slight variation

PISTE OFF PARENTS INVOICED FOR PARTY NO SHOW ON SNOW

Sheesh! The woman's a complete loon....particularly as she has said that her son (the birthday boy) won't be allowed to play with his mate at school. That is just pathetic; I'm guessing she's desperately in need of parenting classes.

And she has zilch chance of a successful outcome in the County Court. There was never a contract to pay anything.

How to make yourself look like a dreadful parent and a complete nutjob - all for the sake of £16! Well done mum!

Could it be argued that there was a verbal contract in place. That is the invitation followed by an acceptance, which the 'no show' parents don't deny. Her argument would be that on the basis of that agreement, she committed to paying for their son. They claimed they had no way of contacting her but that is a bit lame. They knew the party was on as they claim they asked their son what he would prefer to do. At that point, if they didn't have a phone number then, like most normal people they would try the parents of another classmate. Alternatively, they could have sent a message on Facebook as there is no doubt they were in contact there! Having said all that, there was a contract to attend but not to pay.

Both families not setting their kids the best of examples!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
The worst thing about all of this is that none of the parents have the bollocks to confront each other directly!!! This whole thing happened becuse none of them can be bothered to talk to each other. Some people really do see to be incaable of having personal relationships :facepalm:

Their facebook conversation is embarrassing. Also Derek sounds like a right cock!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11355215/Childs-birthday-party-no-show-fee-Parents-Facebook-row-in-full.html
Well what a bunch of tits. I feel for the kids involved, they're still going to have to go to school together whilst this rumbles on (and possibly a fair while after as well).

The dad on the doorstep doesn't sound a particularly reasonable step to have taken, then again, neither is mentioning a child not going to previous parties (so she's been gossiping) or having a 'lesson be learnt' because, you know, condescension rarely works.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the little lad should turn up on her doorstep with a large bag of 1p pieces and hand it to her

the woman in mental and very ...............tight

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A party at an indoor ski slope, whatever happened to pass the parcel and jam sandwiches around the kitchen table.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Let's assume that the party had the capacity to entertain 1500. (She wasn't expecting a sell out even though the facilities at her party were second to none.)
15 invited guests actually turned up and the Small Claims Court decision means that all of the 1432 non-attendees end up having to pay.
Can she then announce proudly, chest puffed out and with a straight face, the attendance figure as 1447?
Brilliant :amex:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
To carry out the court action through Small Claims costs around £75 to instigate, and there is more of a chance that sheel loose that money as well.

I'd just like to say that that is the best spelling of 'she'll' I've ever seen. Thank you very much.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Just watched a more in depth peice on the local news.
The father seems ok but even though the majority think she is very wrong the amount agreeing is unbelievable.
I really dont get parents these days and the way they mollycoddle their kids.

Made it to the last spot on the BBC R2 17:00 news.

I remember a Danny Baker tale on the radio a few years back of a dad who hired a bouncy castle for his son's birthday and made all the kids pay to go on it - even his son!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Just watched a more in depth peice on the local news.
The father seems ok but even though the majority think she is very wrong the amount agreeing is unbelievable.
I really dont get parents these days and the way they mollycoddle their kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here