Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boxing Day Hunt

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So are you saying that all that pre-ban bollocks the hunt fraternity came out with about job losses and economic devastation to rural communities turned out to be, errrrrrm, bollocks?

Just quoting myself as hunt-boy seems to have missed it, and we've moved onto a whole new page now...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Amazing how many morons defend hunting with packs as being a public service instead of a barbaric day out!!!!!!!!!

Before anyone moans, my wife has horses and is also against hunting, as are the yard owners where they are kept.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
So are you saying that all that pre-ban bollocks the hunt fraternity came out with about job losses and economic devastation to rural communities turned out to be, errrrrrm, bollocks?

From what I have seen, the ban gave the sport a massive boost that no one expected. There has been a huge increase in the number of urban people following our hunt. Most came along to see what all the fuss was about, liked what they saw and the people they met and have stayed around. Some have even learnt a little about rural life and now appreciate the countryside for what it is. Also, most of the anti's stopped trying to ruin things which has helped the sport demonstrate its real character. What it has shown is that the bollocks spouted by the anti-hunt lobby has no foundation and that they won't win this one.
Happy Christmas

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What it has shown is that the bollocks spouted by the anti-hunt lobby has no foundation and that they won't win this one.
Happy Christmas

I know very little about this subject in all honesty so you'll have to elaborate since my understanding is something like this...

Anti-hunt mob: You don't have to chase a defenceless animal into the ground before tearing it limb from limb in order to enjoy what you do. Just ride around a bit and stuff anyway.

Pro-hunt mob: Yes, yes we do. Because if we don't, tens of thousands of people will lose their jobs and huge swathes of rural England (Britain?) will suffer dramatic economic hardship.

But you hunting mob now seem to be saying what the antis were coming out with: your hunts are still flourishing, people who were working in the business still are and you're having all kinds of fun still.

If that is true, presumably the ban has done hunting, and those involved in it, a great service.

Midikilledmydog

Aug 20, 2006
Is there a hunt at Withdean then ? Trying to win the dickhead of the year award ?

er no did I say there was, but logically speaking if your wishing it to piss with rain on the hunts of sussex, similar weather conditions will be experienced at Withdean, but when did the antis ever think logically. Can't try and win an award thats already been issued

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
What are your opinions on FISHING?

I'm neither pro or anti fox hunting but nothing pisses me off more than either side dragging fishing into it, Stick to your fox hunting debates and leave us fishermen out of it please.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
But you hunting mob now seem to be saying what the antis were coming out with: your hunts are still flourishing, people who were working in the business still are and you're having all kinds of fun still.

If that is true, presumably the ban has done hunting, and those involved in it, a great service.

In essence, I think that is quite true but a lot of laws nowadays have unexpected consequences don't they? Hunting has never really been about the fox, deer or hare, in a way they are almost peripheral. I think the government got it wrong and made far too much of a class issue that didn't exist as well as overplaying the idea of cruelty. Most people who tuck into their turkey tomorrow will be eating an animal that has been far more abused than any fox has. A lot of people who understand this and dislike the idea of having their liberty eroded have since joined or followed hunts. After all, it'll be fishing or pets to be banned next. If we were truly worried about cruelty to wild animals, we would have to ban cats.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I never really had much to think about fox hunting, but was generally being against and brought up in the country where hunting took place. My family living in the country all their lives have always been against it.

However around the time of the ban, I became intrigued about the hounds themselves and the supporters claim that x thousand would have to put down.

That got me thinking - what happens to the hounds anyway, they can't be homed they are bred to hunt.

I would imagine that they usefullness within their lifespan is limited anyway.

Genuine question to the hunters, is the figure of 3,000 being exterminated every year before half their natural lifespan true ? Or is that rubbish.

I just personally find it odd that in order to kill fox (of which I couldn't really care less), a load of dogs are bred then shot when ther legs go.

To me that seems an awful lot of effort to chase a fox.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Nope. I just get stuck in the middle, with the mung-bean-munching self-righteous tree huggers on one side and the tweedy Hoorays crapping on about their ancient rights to kill everything furry on the other*.

*I figured if I gratuitously stereotype everybody involved, then nobody can claim to be offended:lolol:

I found myself walking through parliament square that day when it all kicked off. To be honest it was like something out of a Monty Python sketch.

All the landowner types (and I'm sorry I was brought up in the country and know what I'm talking about) were supping their G&Ts in the pubs in their traditional waxed jacket uniforms in the pubs around Westminster, whilst the labourers had been sent down to the lower field to have fisty cuffs with the police.

It was like some ancient fuedal system has descended on London.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I ama townie working class lad at heart. Never ridden a horse and never will. I married into a family where hunting is a way of life. And there is no snobbery or class in hunting. Only in hunt-saboteuring.

Its not for me, never will be but if people want to chase a mangy fox across the countryside then I really don't give a shit. There are other things to worry about.

f***ing inverted snobbery really really really gets my goat.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Pompous pricks in shiny red costumes with a pack of underfed Hounds chasing a fox until they catch it from exhaustion and then watch and laugh whilst sipping port whilst its throat is torn out. If that is your idea of fun go for it.

This post demonstrates why there is such an anti hunt feeling by some, yet other sports / past-times are view differently but which could also be described as being just as barbaric

It all comes down to the precieved identity of those taking part, therefore snobbery, as in the case of the huntsmen, they are asumed to be toffs, only out to cause distress and death to exhausted animals that are they quarry

Yet, for example, fishing, where they quarry is hooked by its mouth then battles until completely exhausted, finally reeled in and either then released straight after capture, or put into a keep net before being released later or killed - the only difference being that fishermen don't wear red jackets or tend to be the just the rich who participate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I ama townie working class lad at heart. Never ridden a horse and never will. I married into a family where hunting is a way of life. And there is no snobbery or class in hunting. Only in hunt-saboteuring.

Its not for me, never will be but if people want to chase a mangy fox across the countryside then I really don't give a shit. There are other things to worry about.

f***ing inverted snobbery really really really gets my goat.

Take out the toffs and there would be no hunting. Working class, if that's what you want to call them, couldn't afford the upkeep of horses good enough for the hunt. I suspect if you look at the actual committees that control these hunts they will be full of the local gentry and pseudo rich hoping to join that set like Bryan Ferry's son.

Having said that, I do know of 'working class' people who follow the hunt and, like their 'toff' colleagues, I have yet to hear of one convincing arguement to support their brutal sport (and sport is exactly what it is, not a grand public service to local farmers). There are also plenty of landowners around the country who ban hunts from their property so it does not have the full support as is so often claimed, of the 'countryside'.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As far as I can see the ONLY reason Junior put up this thread was to cause the reaction he did, with no interest/realistic expectation of encouraging anyone on here to come along to this. A shameless act pal.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
As far as I can see the ONLY reason Junior put up this thread was to cause the reaction he did, with no interest/realistic expectation of encouraging anyone on here to come along to this. A shameless act pal.

Absolute rubbish! As said on a previous post i will be out myself tommorow with the Cottesmore hunt in rutland,and the intention of my post was to encourage a few people who had never been to a hunt meet before to get out with thier family tommorow morning and go and see what its all about.a bit of old english tradition for the youth of today.

Also,all this stuff about "snob's" and "posh people" is rubbish.Im certainly not either of those,i grew up in a terraced house near Blakers Park for god's sake!!! Yes there are a few wealthy people that subscribe to the hunt i go with,but i can garuntee you that there in the minority.
I know of quite a few weath people that go to the footy every week.....so i guess all football fans should be branded "toff's"?? No - my point exactly.

Oh and i didnt even think this thread would get one reply,let alone 4 pages.

Pork Sword

Banned
Jan 5, 2007
I am anti hunting simply because i do not like the jumped up toffs who partake. I do however believe that vermin need to be controlled and have shot many a fox/rabbit etc in my time.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Also,all this stuff about "snob's" and "posh people" is rubbish.Im certainly not either of those,i grew up in a terraced house near Blakers Park for god's sake!!! Yes there are a few wealthy people that subscribe to the hunt i go with,but i can garuntee you that there in the minority.

Not a good example Junior - probably one of the most desirable areas in Brighton. I'm guessing different to when you grew up, but it is the epitome of a middle class stronghold these days - more 30-something short-haired ladies that lunch pushing their £200 strollers around while hubby works in the city than you can shake a shitty stick at. I'd hate to think how much a terraced house near Flakey Park goes for these days, but it must be upwards of £400k.

I'm all for tradition, although not in this case.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Not a good example Junior - probably one of the most desirable areas in Brighton. I'm guessing different to when you grew up, but it is the epitome of a middle class stronghold these days - more 30-something short-haired ladies that lunch pushing their £200 strollers around while hubby works in the city than you can shake a shitty stick at. I'd hate to think how much a terraced house near Flakey Park goes for these days, but it must be upwards of £400k.

I'm all for tradition, although not in this case.

Ah,well not that i want to get into an argument with anyone over something so petty,im talking 20 years ago,basement flat,single parent family etc etc.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
how many of those against the Hunts are meat eaters themselves?...killing poor defenseless cows & pigs just so they can get FAT!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here