Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth Sign £2.5m Striker (Merged Thread)

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
why not?
we did it last year (and the year before)

Seen the raised eyebrows on this and other forums and thought that's a bit patronising - OK it looks like a lot of dosh for AFCB to splash out (it is) - but we did exactly the same as a newly promoted Club looking to progress in the Championship. We smashed our transfer record twice in a few weeks and spent a similar amount on a) CMS and b) again on Ulloa who was a very shrewd deal from abroad and a name below a lot of Clubs radar but turned out to be a gem. AFCB will be happy if their man turns out like our Leo.

I guess the difference now is how to contain such expenditure under FFP, especially when a Club like AFCB cannot break even on their gates. I like the principle of FFP but really hope there is some sort of test case to establish how the Clubs without parachute money might compete financially, rather than just nail them.

We are all hoping for a couple more signings this week and our hopes are encouraged by The Club saying we have a similar budget to last season. So I wonder how many NSCers would happily turn a blind eye if say we splash out £2 - 3m - or will they ask how are we going to keep our spending within the prescribed limits?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would have thought after town smashed them last weekend, a decent defence is what they need...didn't someone else put 6 past them too

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seen the raised eyebrows on this and other forums and thought that's a bit patronising - OK it looks like a lot of dosh for AFCB to splash out (it is) - but we did exactly the same as a newly promoted Club looking to progress in the Championship.

The difference being, they're doing it on maximum crowds of 10,000.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
How ?

I'm not being patronising to 'little old Bournemouth' but how on gates like theirs can they even begin to spend £2.5m on a player and comply with FFP ??

Dec 29, 2011
The difference being, they're doing it on maximum crowds of 10,000.

Who's to say they're not making less of a loss than us? It's widely reported our loss came from moving to the Amex, with all the set up costs associated with the move. If they lose £2m/year they can spend £2m on a player and still only lose 50% of what we do.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who's to say they're not making less of a loss than us? It's widely reported our loss came from moving to the Amex, with all the set up costs associated with the move. If they lose £2m/year they can spend £2m on a player and still only lose 50% of what we do.

FFP allows the owner of a club to subsidise up to 8 million this season.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
From a FFP point of view we might earn 10 and spend 10 but they might earn 8 and only spend 5 CURRENTLY in which case they can go out and spunk a load on signing fees. We took ALOT of QUALITY players on 'frees' last couple seasons and thus our budget is likely tied up in wages. That said I think there's money to spend on fee and wages for the right players here, just making a point in as simplified a way as can.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Plenty of people here need to get over themselves. They are posting half the allowed level of debt for ffp and buying strikers at the same price we did in our first season in this division. On points per game basis so far they are also looking good to stay up so good on em for increasing their odds of staying in the division.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Their gates suggest this is unsustainable.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Can someone just clarify for me. Is the FFP level debt or losses?

I thought it was losses, so if for instance Bournmouth are paying this fee of £2.5 mill over say 5 years it will only be £500,000 this year towards FFP expenditure.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can someone just clarify for me. Is the FFP level debt or losses?

I thought it was losses, so if for instance Bournmouth are paying this fee of £2.5 mill over say 5 years it will only be £500,000 this year towards FFP expenditure.

That's how I understood it as well. No problem with Bournmouth shelling out big transfer fees if they want; I'm sure many of their players are still on League 1 wages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
FFP
2.5 million on a 5 year contract means the actual cost would be 500k for each financial year of the deal. Clubs will also offer less in terms of signing on fees but more in wages now as that can be split over the period. There is an article explaining how Manchester City for example still manages to spend a load of cash. Sales of people like Tevez if a full fee upfront in the bank. Signings all on 5 year contracts may sound a lot at 100 odd million but over 5 years that is 20 million a year which is tecnically meaning the 10 million recieved for Tevez cancels a lot out.
My understanding was we brought Ulloa outright and paid a higher signing on fee an lower wages so the actual affect to our budget this year would be left.
Therefore Barnes being sold of 750k may mean the club can look at spending 5 times this an not have under FFP rules soend more than we recieved.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Rich benefactor or not this is a club that has been deducted 27 points over the last decade, for twice going into administration. Has possibly the worst record in the league for boom and bust and has written off millions of pounds of debt. I am not unduly worried by this, but I will not be rushing to assist, next time they come cap in hand looking for help to save their club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here