Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bournemouth fans

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Yeah a fair few saints fans here, particularly fsns in their 30'/40's it feels very close and only half an hour on the train.

I know some great people who follow Bournemouth and part of me feels they could build on their recent success but its just not a football town where the club is part of the culture of the area IMO.

Strangley rugby seems to be more popular as a participant sport for school kids, perhaps because it still adopts the grammar school system despite having plenty of working class areas.

I just dont think Dorset cares much for football like Sussex does. Outside of bournemouth its only really Dorchester, wimborne and poole Town with clubs and they all massively under achieve. Poole, the most successful of the three has a population of a 150k yet has spent most of their history below the 7th tier.

Should probably add Weymouth to the list to be fair to Dorset football!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah a fair few saints fans here, particularly fsns in their 30'/40's it feels very close and only half an hour on the train.

I know some great people who follow Bournemouth and part of me feels they could build on their recent success but its just not a football town where the club is part of the culture of the area IMO.

Strangley rugby seems to be more popular as a participant sport for school kids, perhaps because it still adopts the grammar school system despite having plenty of working class areas.

I just dont think Dorset cares much for football like Sussex does. Outside of bournemouth its only really Dorchester, wimborne and poole Town with clubs and they all massively under achieve. Poole, the most successful of the three has a population of a 150k yet has spent most of their history below the 7th tier.

I recently noted that the population of Poole, Bournemouth and Christchurch is far greater than Shoreham to Brighton. Yes I know we also have a vast array of other Sussex town to ourselves.

Yet so few people were ever interested in AFC Bournemouth.

The opposite of Norwich and Ipswich where attendances are fantastic, in conurbations similar to Bexhill/Hastings.

Tradition.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I recently noted that the population of Poole, Bournemouth and Christchurch is far greater than Shoreham to Brighton. Yes I know we also have a vast array of other Sussex town to ourselves.

Yet so few people were ever interested in AFC Bournemouth.

The opposite of Norwich and Ipswich where attendances are fantastic, in conurbations similar to Bexhill/Hastings.

Tradition.

BCP (Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole) is about 400k with the wider conurbation closer to 500k. While each town has its own identity its really just one big sprawling town.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i'll never forget the game in the championship when their forward kicked Caspar in the face splattering his nose and the ref Darren Deadman :rolleyes: just waved play on..........don't like them but i don't think this game goes off easily , if we win it'll be by the odd goal.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Population of Brighton to Shoreham is well in to 300k add Worthing will be over 450k

I'd say they're similar sized conurbations but with the exception of some border towns I'd say 'greater brighton' and Sussex are very much Albion strongholds. I'm not sure you can say the same in Bournemouth/Dorset.

You wouldn't find many Bournemouth fans in Dorchester for example but I'd imagine there's loads of Albion fans in somewhere like Horsham.

Fromthesouth

Apr 30, 2016
Winds me up that we have to give them 3000 tickets but we only get about a 1000 for there place, should be that what they give you they get back, so 1000 for them.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Out of interest, when is the latest you can buy a match ticket for Bournemouth? Are they available right up to kickoff on Sunday or do they take them off sale earlier?
Usually tickets are a good right up to kick off. Note this one is general sale and 4 tickets per fan number which shows even the ticket office knows they’re tinpot.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I've got to be honest, it is a surprise to me that a fair few of them don't like us.

Seems a bit random to me.
I think there's a "who's the best resort?" thing too. I've lived in Dorset for about 5 years and when I mention Brighton, people often seem to go right into a comparison with Bournemouth.

I carefully explain that, rather like the football clubs, there's no bloody comparison.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think there's a "who's the best resort?" thing too. I've lived in Dorset for about 5 years and when I mention Brighton, people often seem to go right into a comparison with Bournemouth.

I carefully explain that, rather like the football clubs, there's no bloody comparison.

If Brighton had Bournemouth's beaches it would be one of the greatest "resorts" in Europe IMO

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

That's interesting. Bizarre but interesting!

I can't in all honesty say I've ever felt the need to compare Brighton with Bournemouth on any level. Why do they have such a chip on their shoulder?

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Born mouthy are punching above their weight. Lets knock them out early with a couple of goals, then fills our boots and make up for Thursday. 3 points essential.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Usually tickets are a good right up to kick off. Note this one is general sale and 4 tickets per fan number which shows even the ticket office knows they’re tinpot.
All the more tickets for our Japanese friends to come and worship their one true god Mitoma and clean out the club shop of associated merchandise :thumbsup:

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
I thought Bmuff and Stains hate each other.
TBF there more often in the same division than not, maybe both can have a reunion with Pompey in Div 1 soon enough?

Even Weymouth have Yeovil as rivals, the song to sing to the tune of Millwalls no one likes us would be, No on hates you...etc and you are weird, little bournemouth, tinpot bournemouth. No one hates you, and you are weird.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here