• Flintoff

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Botham

Votes: 52 47.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stokes easily, Flintoff shouldn’t be in the poll and Botham always failed against the best of his day, the Windies

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Surprised it’s as close is that. Stokes gives his all and I admire the way he’s turned his career around. He is a very good cricketer who has produced moments of pure magic, but Botham was class for a long time. It’s Botham. Stokes needs another 4 years continuing as he is now and he’ll surpass him.

Stumpy Tim

What about during his golden spell which sadly lasted about two years?

Flintoff delivered against the best team in the world and possibly the greatest of all time. He scored runs against the greatest leg spinner, one of the best fast bowlers in McGrath and dominated the best wicket keeper batsman of all time with the ball. Gilchrist was untouchable and feared at that stage. The plan of over the wicket to the left hander worked a treat and he barely scored a run all series.

Add to that he took wickets against the likes of Langer and Ponting regularly as well as score runs at crucial times he was the main reason behind that victory.

And unlike Botham against the West Indies he done it against the best.

Between 04 & 06 I recall he averaged over 40 with the bat and about 25 with the ball.

I still rate Flintoff 3rd but feel he gets a bit of rough treatment in this argument.

I think your first sentence is the problem. He did have a good couple of years, but didn´t look after himself and couldn´t do it long enough. Don´t get me wrong, he was a quality player for England during those years, but he wasn´t in the same league as Stokes or Botham.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Beefy all day for me, can someone stick this back on the main board, it shouldn’t be here...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
What about during his golden spell which sadly lasted about two years?

Flintoff delivered against the best team in the world and possibly the greatest of all time. He scored runs against the greatest leg spinner, one of the best fast bowlers in McGrath and dominated the best wicket keeper batsman of all time with the ball. Gilchrist was untouchable and feared at that stage. The plan of over the wicket to the left hander worked a treat and he barely scored a run all series.

Add to that he took wickets against the likes of Langer and Ponting regularly as well as score runs at crucial times he was the main reason behind that victory.

And unlike Botham against the West Indies he done it against the best.

Between 04 & 06 I recall he averaged over 40 with the bat and about 25 with the ball.

I still rate Flintoff 3rd but feel he gets a bit of rough treatment in this argument.

Thankyou!

People writing off Flintoff as "nowhere close to these two" are forgetting an awful lot about the great man.
Botham's greatest moment was against a poor Australia.
Flintoff's greatest moment was against the best team in the world.
His bowling during that series bettered anything Stokes or Botham have produced.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Stokes is the better and more complete batsman, Botham was a better bowler.

However, I have voted Stokes because I wasn’t alive when Botham was around and Stokes is my personal cricket hero, so he edges it for me.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Greig - best batsman, but lesser bowler
Botham - best bowler on his day but also bowled an awful lot of dross. Should have been a better batsman but lacked the patience.
Stokes - vastly improved batsman, similar bowler to Greig albeit quicker.
Flintoff - fastest bowler very mean when fit. Least batsman of the four but could hit it for miles..

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I've moved it for you. If ever proof were needed of the "popularity" of the Gammon Pit, it's taken 5 hours for one of us to see this. Nevertheless, it'll only take a cheap shot by one of the Flintoff Massive to have us consider moving it back. Good job the question wasn't "what's the best sandwich for a cricket tea" or I'd have left it it in the Pit.

I will even try and add a poll for you.

The answer, by the way, is STOKES.

Many thanks mate. I spend too much time in the Bear(sic) Pit and plonked it in there by mistake.

Interesting and good to see some mentions of Tony Greig, 'one of our own' in a South African sort of way.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Depends on when you were watching I guess. I think Botham is a bit of an arse and have only heard stories of how wonderful he was. Stokes has been wonderful but my interest these days is less than it was in 05.

Flintoff was everything to me as a teenager. I had a Woodworm bat and styled my bowling action on him. I even used to do his Freddie the redeemer celebration as an U13.

Players like the three mentioned though are why the game is great. Botham 81, Freddie 05, and Stokes 19 are some of the finest individual performances ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here