Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bosse Svensson, current Mainz manager and Albion candidate (?)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No chance of a TB going for pragmatist. He fired an attritional coach and took a chance on Potter, which couldn’t have gone better and proved a point.

I would guess that Tony has made entertainment a box that any on Barber’s short list will have tick.

Agree.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No chance of TB going for a pragmatist. He fired an attritional coach and took a chance on Potter, which couldn’t have gone better and proved a point.

I would guess that Tony has made entertainment a box that any on Barber’s short list will have to tick.

This.

He tried to get a progressive ‘Potter’ style manager in Hyypiä, it backfired and he then took a decision to find a manager who could get us promotion and worry about the style in the EPL. Once we were promoted and it was clear that we’d never finish close to or in the top 10, he went back to his vision of how football should be played by hiring Potter. That Bloom vision has left us 4th in the Premier League. No way in the world is he getting in a pragmatist again as you say.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
From Danish paper BT:

You probably know why we're calling, Bo...

"It's because we have a game against Hertha Berlin on Friday," he says first with a laugh.

That's not quite why. The Athletic writes about Brighton and you...

"Yeah they do", he says, laughing even more.

Have you been in contact with Brighton?

"There has been no contact between me and Brighton."

"I probably don't really need to comment on this either. It's a media that has written something without any sources, and I've just been sent the story.'

After all, it is a very credible and well-informed media that writes that you are on the wish list in Brighton. What do you think about that?

"It's flattering if it's true. Otherwise, I don't have much to deal with right now – for me, it's not concrete right now. But if there is a team in it, then I am flattered by it - without saying too much else about it.'

You have moved Mainz a long way and your performances have made you stand out. Can you see yourself changing jobs in the near future?

"Everything is relative. What is the future tense? I'm under contract until the end of next season and that's what I'm dealing with right now. I wrote that contract with the intention of fulfilling it, and that's what I can relate to right now.'

So if Brighton offers you a job - what do you say?

"We can continue the hypotheses ad infinitum. I have no reason to comment so much on it,' he says with a smile.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From Danish paper BT:

You probably know why we're calling, Bo...

"It's because we have a game against Hertha Berlin on Friday," he says first with a laugh.

That's not quite why. The Athletic writes about Brighton and you...

"Yeah they do", he says, laughing even more.

"I probably don't really need to comment on this either. It's a media that has written something without any sources, and I've just been sent the story.'

After all, it is a very credible and well-informed media that writes that you are on the wish list in Brighton. What do you think about that?

"It's flattering if it's true. Otherwise, I don't have much to deal with right now – for me, it's not concrete right now. But if there is a team in it, then I am flattered by it - without saying too much else about it.'

You have moved Mainz a long way and your performances have made you stand out. Can you see yourself changing jobs in the near future?

"Everything is relative. What is the future tense? I'm under contract until the end of next season and that's what I'm dealing with right now. I wrote that contract with the intention of fulfilling it, and that's what I can relate to right now.'

So if Brighton offers you a job - what do you say?

"We can continue the hypotheses ad infinitum. I have no reason to comment so much on it,' he says with a smile.

'Barbs told me to keep schtum'

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thanks Swanny. I'd imagine a fair few will interpret that as he isn't coming but, instead, I think it's him saying 'no comment'.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
One to watch.

Yup.

This answer makes me curious:

The most common answer would have been "no". His answer might indicate that Brighton may have been in contact with his agent. Maybe.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yup.

This answer makes me curious:

The most common answer would have been "no". His answer might indicate that Brighton may have been in contact with his agent. Maybe.

Or dare I say in this modern back stabbing world of football, we have gone ol school and contacted the club first ?

Crazy I know

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Or dare I say in this modern back stabbing world of football, we have gone ol school and contacted the club first ?

Crazy I know

Might not have a buyout clause so yeah that could be the case. Don't think the club would bother to go into negotiations with Mainz before actually asking the agent if their client is interested however.

Not sure about the "old school" part - think "tapping up" people is as old as the game.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Any manager from Mainz should have potential looking at the past decade or so. They are one of the best in the world for that and if Uncle Tony gets this choice right we could start to join them as that type of club. The premier league Mainz would be pretty high praise. I’m a bit less confident when I hear the Red Bull ties but it’s certainly not a negative, just perhaps not a reason to be additionally confident either.

The little I know of him he’s a bit more pragmatic than some of their previous managers but that could be due to Mainz being underestimated a lot less these days plus picked over for top players (although think they produce less of those than we do). Agree strongly with the comments that anyone we hire will be entertaining however that that doesn’t mean we need 60% plus possession, just that we need more than 40% ourselves plus it’s more important what we do with it. Quick attacking play even if we slow it down at times as well, that can’t be the only focus or take away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here