Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Born in England?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Who cares, they've nailed their colours to the mast and play with a pride and passion England simply lack.

Pretty sad IMO that people want to highlight that fact rather than give the nation the respect it deserves for their performances in the competition.

They've won more knockout games in the last week than England have won in 20 years.

To be fair it was not this point I started the thread to highlight, more that players who would not be considered good enough for the England squad have proved they have more passion for their ' adopted' country and showed the England players how to show pride, passion and teamwork that was sadly invisible in our games.

Ha ha just read this again and I have quoted you (almost) word for word!

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Who cares, they've nailed their colours to the mast and play with a pride and passion England simply lack.

Pretty sad IMO that people want to highlight that fact rather than give the nation the respect it deserves for their performances in the competition.

They've won more knockout games in the last week than England have won in 20 years.
Quite right, they all seemed to sing the national anthem with enthusiasm as well.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Doesn't really matter does it?

England have always had people playing for them who are not English...isn't Raheem sterling a jamaican? John Barnes was too...the German guy Hargreaves

A lot of the home nations have always had " foreign " players...it does appear with all sports these days that so long as you have a passing link with a country you are available to play for them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
makes me feel a whole lot better about things...... Not !!

This is a slightly odd thread. Wales is a small country, and lots of folk with a Welsh parent or grandparent (elegibility criteria) were born outside Wales, nearby, somewhere else in the UK, such as England. They opt to play for Wales because of family identity, or get 'adopted' willingly to enjoy international football. So what? The interesting thing is how easily 'outsiders' (like the captain) become part of the family when warmly welcomed.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
It's got nothing to do with where you were born. If you qualify according to the rules then fair play. What does make a difference is the attitude of those players. The twats who pull on the English shirt care more about what car they drive, where they live, how many pouting slappers they've shagged and the brand on their wash bags. They don't give a **** about the fans, all they care about is their own little lives. The sooner the FA wise up to this the better. I've done a load of research this week into our record since we won the Wold Cup. We've been pretty shit for a long long time but the suits will have us believe we are a footballing giant just waiting to rise again. What a load of old shit. The suits and the greedy *******s who sell the soul of our game to the marketing men have ruined football in this country. Will we ever recover. I doubt it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Doesn't really matter does it?

England have always had people playing for them who are not English...isn't Raheem sterling a jamaican? John Barnes was too...the German guy Hargreaves

A lot of the home nations have always had " foreign " players...it does appear with all sports these days that so long as you have a passing link with a country you are available to play for them.

except the German guy was born in Canada.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
My mistake he was born in England but grew up and went to school in Wales. The border is just outside Chester near the Deva Stadium I believe.

I believe the majority of the stadium is actually in Wales, with the border leaving a little bit of the office building in England

Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 2.16.11 PM.png

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As a slight aside probably the best thing about how well Wales are doing is that it kills STONE DEAD one of the usual excuses that get trotted out for England: "England are no good because of all the foreigners that play in the Premier League".

It was always a pretty weak argument anyway as there's always been loads of non-English players playing in England. But now everyone realises that the size of your population and the extent of your playing pool are simply the equivalent of a poor poker player being dealt two slightly better cards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here