Boris Johnson to hold press conference at 4pm

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
thats 3 weeks ago not months, and you're cherry picking data. numbers i was looking at for Dec 9th the whole of London was still around ~200/100k, some boroughs above 300, some below the then national average of 150.

You can't accuse me of Cherry Picking Dates and Numbers whilst at the same time Cherry Picking your own.

If London's R . Rate was above 1. Three or 4 weeks ago it should have been put in Tier 3 back then

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Speaking to my neighbour, yesterday his mum was given 3 months due to cancer, he has said that due to today's announcement he can not have his mother or other family over for a final Christmas day family due to where she lives. That sucks.

For me though, over 50, over weight, smoker, can drive to any tier, mix with numerous people, and at the end of my shift can go home to my family, that's ok because I'm classed as an essential worker. What a load of Bollox. I'm fed up with it all.
Let people live there lives how they want to. Get the country open, let people decide if they want to follow what Doom and Gloom say.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Just for the benefit of NSC, this is what my wife and I have got to look forward to:

Screenshot_20201219-212144_Facebook.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You can't accuse me of Cherry Picking Dates and Numbers whilst at the same time Cherry Picking your own.

If London's R . Rate was above 1. Three or 4 weeks ago it should have been put in Tier 3 back then

and Manchester should have presumably stayed in tier 3? its not cherry picking to note different boroughs have different rates. point was really about saying "months" when the situation you refer to was weeks ago, and that the situation in London has accelerated.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Speaking to my neighbour, yesterday his mum was given 3 months due to cancer, he has said that due to today's announcement he can not have his mother or other family over for a final Christmas day family due to where she lives. That sucks.

For me though, over 50, over weight, smoker, can drive to any tier, mix with numerous people, and at the end of my shift can go home to my family, that's ok because I'm classed as an essential worker. What a load of Bollox. I'm fed up with it all.
Let people live there lives how they want to. Get the country open, let people decide if they want to follow what Doom and Gloom say.

what about health care workers, they have to clear up the mess?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just for the benefit of NSC, this is what my wife and I have got to look forward to:

on the bright side, no need to buy meat for a month.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

And your thinking is the reason we're in the mess we're in.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So you don't think there should be any rules whatsoever if they inconvenience some?

It really sucks with regard to your neighbour but the alternative could be many more die through covid. Rock and a hard place. Unpalatable choice but for me Covid takes priority.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The let people live the lives they want theory, would mean millions of selfish super spreaders being out and about.

Lockdowns work, fact ..... look at all the metrics from March to June. Countless lives saved.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
a few days might have been good for the economy but not very good for people.

Problem with libertarians is that there freedom are often at the expense of others.

Our state is based on the concept of the ' common wealth' a philosophy first described by Thomas Hobbes a proposal that people need to give up their 'freedoms to do what they like' (anarchy) to a reduced set of freedoms that people conform to because they are beneficial to the many and sets common goals and benefits.

We don't need or want libertarians talking about theoretical freedoms when we are in a time of crisis.
I still have this nagging suspicion that somewhere in Whitehall there is a civil servant and/or politician who has had a raging hard-on all year because of the unexpected and unprecedented power that covid has suddenly given them to regulate and control almost every aspect of people's behaviour; and they cannot believe their luck that so many people are so compliant, and have been so compliant for so long.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Your statement is supporting what I am saying.

If you are suggesting that Manchester could have gone down to Tier 2 but it was deemed that it should stay in Tier 3 then surely if London was going in the opposite direction then it should have been in Tier 3 too.

Not sure your figures are correct either on dates I was referring to. Need to check mine again but there was definitely a a time both cities were going in direction I stated.

A scientist on LBC explained the reasons for this yesterday.

Tiers are not based on raw R data, but on hospital capacity too. They said Manchester’s hospitals were nearly full, whilst London had capacity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports