Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris Johnson to hold press conference at 4pm

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Sturgeon promised a 5 day Christmas, changed last night to one day, and she's not even one of those dastardly Tories. What's your view on Sturgeon's very late in the day breaking of the promise?
I think you have to think about the impact that Johnson had here - It's plainly ridiculous to think they had a cordial zoom meeting and took a vote on what should happen for Xmas, Johnson had decided he wanted to make the popular choice, the devolved leaders little political choice on this one. Make no mistake, it was Johnson's decision.

Wales - the CV19 capital of the UK, horrendous stats. The two week circuit breaker, lauded on NSC as an amazing thing to do, did nothing in the medium term. Instead the Welsh went bananas doing whatever they pleased once it was over.

It's grim in some areas, no doubt. When talking about the valleys and Swansea you are absolutely bang on in your last sentence, drives me nuts.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In conclusion then and what most people seem to realise anyway.
There has been new updated information from the scientists resulting in England, Wales and Scotland all having to announce new measures yesterday.

What most people of an objective mind will realise is that this new updated information will have been available when London and South East went Tier 3 last week. It almost certainly been known at PMQs on Wednesday when it was stated Xmas would be going ahead as planned. Even Tory MPs realise that by waiting till Saturday, the PM has avoided any scrutiny of this decision, putting politics ahead of everything else.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Cheers Harry 👍 lets hope the boys in blue can give us something to cheer about today.

You cursed it!

It's the hope that kills you.

What's that word all the managers use? Oh, yes. Disappointed. I'm feeling very disappointed :facepalm:

All the best. :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
so situation has changed and government reacted to change. isnt that what we want to happen? apart from the puritans that wanted full lockdown since March of course.

The situation was always going to change and be fluid. The only thing that was being repeated to the public that would change were the Xmas plans! I think the majority of the public would have accepted 2 or 3 weeks ago that Xmas plans would be under constant review. Instead they repeated time after time the Xmas plans wouldn’t change, even up to PMQs on Wednesday when asked if the Xmas rules would be subject to review and change he said no.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Judging how busy motorways were today, I think a lot of people have travelled to visit family early for Christmas.

Callers to LBC today, ringing from Tier 2 and Tier 3 area shopping malls, reported shoppers who driven huge distances from Tier 4 areas to shop there. Just from chatting with those folk.

The ‘inventiveness’ of the British don’t give a feck minority, knows no bounds.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can’t we just call tier 4 what it is? Lockdown. I would put money in us all being in tier 4 by mid January and staying there until the vaccine has been rolled out. Wit Tory organisational skills, I would realistically expect this to be sometime around June / July.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Can’t we just call tier 4 what it is? Lockdown. I would put money in us all being in tier 4 by mid January and staying there until the vaccine has been rolled out. Wit Tory organisational skills, I would realistically expect this to be sometime around June / July.

There seems to be zero urgency in jabbing people here.

Where is the road map out of this?

If it’s a case of everyone needed to be vaccinated I’m showing as sept 21 due to my (correct) placing.

People claiming March/April are in for a shock.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Sturgeon promised a 5 day Christmas, changed last night to one day, and she's not even one of those dastardly Tories. What's your view on Sturgeon's very late in the day breaking of the promise?

Wales - the CV19 capital of the UK, horrendous stats. The two week circuit breaker, lauded on NSC as an amazing thing to do, did nothing in the medium term. Instead the Welsh went bananas doing whatever they pleased once it was over.

South Wales.

c2788130fd28f24b5a5b185ed4ba2901.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

If it’s a case of everyone needed to be vaccinated I’m showing as sept 21 due to my (correct) placing.

Who can be certain? I’m due mine in early January, however being a “munie” in a nation of mostly un-vaccinated people is even more restrictive than the current situation.
I may be able to get about a bit more IF they open things like travel etc up to proven vaccinated but that would mean to keep people safe, those who are vaccinated will only be able to mix with other vaccinated people.

What I’m clumsily saying is that it really doesn’t matter for most people when they get vaccinated as life won’t return to normal until we have 95-99-% coverage. Which is going to take ages. Especially when we have morons thinking the vaccine contains lizard controlled micro chips.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
France has closed its border for 48 hours, with the last departure on Eurotunnel at 22.00 tonight, for passengers and freight.
Trains will still be running from Calais to Folkestone.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Agreed. They need to clearly state at which point some form of normality resumes. Even if it’s a numerical target, like 20 million vaccinations, that would give people an incentive to carry on. If they carry on like they are now expect millions to break the rules or people on the streets.

People will become more desperate as it goes on if there isn’t mile stones out, I didn’t agree with the free for all for Christmas - but we’ve seen what happened yesterday when people were desperate - crowding on trains etc.

The Gov have had months to work out the route out with Vaccine, Vague comments about being in tiers for months isn’t helping.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Who can be certain? I’m due mine in early January, however being a “munie” in a nation of mostly un-vaccinated people is even more restrictive than the current situation.
I may be able to get about a bit more IF they open things like travel etc up to proven vaccinated but that would mean to keep people safe, those who are vaccinated will only be able to mix with other vaccinated people.

What I’m clumsily saying is that it really doesn’t matter for most people when they get vaccinated as life won’t return to normal until we have 95-99-% coverage. Which is going to take ages. Especially when we have morons thinking the vaccine contains lizard controlled micro chips.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
France has closed its border for 48 hours, with the last departure on Eurotunnel at 22.00 tonight, for passengers and freight.

COBRA meeting tomorrow

The mutation news has caused utter carnage, I’ve spent the afternoon getting figures together for the Gov on plane loads.

I think there will be a lot of scientists hoping they are right about it given the fall out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Germany has suspended flights to and from the UK.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What most people of an objective mind will realise is that this new updated information will have been available when London and South East went Tier 3 last week. It almost certainly been known at PMQs on Wednesday when it was stated Xmas would be going ahead as planned. Even Tory MPs realise that by waiting till Saturday, the PM has avoided any scrutiny of this decision, putting politics ahead of everything else.

Was this new updated information really known by Boris last Wednesday at PMQs then?
Do you have any evidence of this?

Dr Susan Hopkins of Public Health England was on Marr this morning saying they didn’t understand about the difference in transmissibility of the known about variant until their boffins concluded their studies this week, and they notified the government on Friday about their findings.

There was an all nation conference call on Saturday morning to address these new serious concerns. Druckford called a Welsh emergency cabinet meeting 2pm Saturday, Boris called an emergency cabinet meeting at 1pm Saturday and Sturgeon called an emergency cabinet meeting because of emerging evidence Saturday afternoon.

Within a couple of hours all 3 announced new measures.

Thinking objectively, this would suggest it was new updated information available from Friday and not “certainly known” last Wednesday.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

we're waiting for the Oxford vaccine approval, easier to roll out. we vaccinate about 30m people with flu jab every year in a few months, no reason this one cant be done as swiftly.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Callers to LBC today, ringing from Tier 2 and Tier 3 area shopping malls, reported shoppers who driven huge distances from Tier 4 areas to shop there. Just from chatting with those folk.

The ‘inventiveness’ of the British don’t give a feck minority, knows no bounds.

There's an awful lot of traffic on the roads where I am considering there's nowhere to go or nothing to do. My local shop is closed currently due to a Covid outbreak amongst staff, so having ventured to an alternative shop this morning to buy a Sunday Times where a chav in front of me in the queue replied with a smirk on his face " 'cos I'm exempt mate" when asked by the cashier why he didn't have a face covering on, I'm afraid I now give up. The dickheads have won.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here