Boris Johnson 8pm televised address - official match thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No, I’m not a lockdown supporter, per se.

My belief is we should have got the vaccine situation sorted, so the actual vaccines are in hand, not just “promises” of more to come, then a full lockdown - like March (which this won’t be) - at that point we should have brought in the military and every other resource available to roll out the vaccine programme as effectively as, well, a military operation!

I hope to be wrong, but will be amazed if ALL the extremely vulnerable are vaccinated by mid February...

you wanted the vaccine released before it was approved? Oxford was only last week, Pfizer a month ago and is limited due to the storage constraints, army cant help that.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I have no doubt no other party in power would have done any better. Likely they would have had same advisers as well. Only difference Tories would be the ones to criticise and accuse them of changing minds

I have absolutely no doubt that ANY other party in power would have done a lot better. Starmer on numerous occasions has called him out for not acting quickly enough.

Johnson is such a buffoon that I am sure I am not the only one who finds it difficult to take him seriously - how can anyone take seriously somebody who talks about “big boxing gloves” and who has such an incompetent bunch of no-hopers behind him who are there more for their Brexit views or loyalty than their competence. Gavin Williamson in charge of education is a disaster.

And just to show it’s not just about party politics, I would have trusted any one of May, Cameron, Major or Thatcher to have done better. I detested Thatcher, BUT she would have done this right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
7 weeks minimum lockdown, all dependent on vaccine roll out which is wishful thinking, plus need to give at least 3 weeks following roll out to most vulnerable to get full efficacy and then the numbers on deaths and hospitalisations and pressure on NHS which will take a further 3/4 weeks so I'd expect the lockdown to be more like 14 weeks which would take us to wc 14th April for an easing of restrictions possibly back into tier 4 for much of the country.

You need a second account when you feel the urge to digress from comedy, or else I'm inclined to assume you must be taking the piss ??? I hope you're not, here :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The only people still supporting a pig an a particular coloured rosette at the moment seem to be the Boris supporters. Suggesting 'whatabout people preferring Starmer just because he has a red rosette' is crass. I support Starmer but I never supported the wanker Corbyn :shrug: Tories opposed to Boris, however, are thin on the ground. I can't see Bozza et al cutting Corbyn any slack if he were (heaven forfend) in charge now. Rightly so. But I can't see them cutting Starmer any slack either. Fancy that :shrug:.

I think you're wrong about that. If that's the case how did Blair get elected?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think you're wrong about that. If that's the case how did Blair get elected?

Times have changed.

Anyway, I suspect that the tide is moving towards Starmer now and, like Blair, Starmer will be elected.

But my point was about the noisy partizan numpties who insist on attacking Starmer now, and displaying their ludicrousness on this football forum.

:thumbsup:

Edit: and there are many tories on NSC who don't fall into the partizan numpty category.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I have no doubt no other party in power would have done any better. Likely they would have had same advisers as well.

Trouble is - he pretty much ignores the advice of his advisers until it becomes blatantly obvious to everyone else that he needs to heed it.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Trouble is - he pretty much ignores the advice of his advisers until it becomes blatantly obvious to everyone else that he needs to heed it.

indeed, paraphrasing churchill on the yanks,

they will reach the correct decision, once they have explored all the other eventualities

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Spin to an echo chamber, that’s the very raison d’etre of the obsessive one-eyed posters from either end of politically spectrum on NSC. That’s one of the reasons Bozza set up The Bear Pit for you and the others. Never an inch given, loathing of the opposite viewpoint, never seeing any good in anything from Tories. Similarly unwavering thinking from the other side. No debating, no listening, closed minds, bitter souls.

do me a favour, when faced with an obvious government calamity you reached for the 'yeah but Corbyn' type response, now have the temerity to take the moral high ground. Nice try.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Aside from the tiresome political arguments, I feel so sorry for young kids like mine tonight.

In for one day and they were absolutely buzzing coming out of school having seen their friends and caught up on Christmas etc. My 6 year old was in tears tonight when we said he wouldn’t be seeing them again or going in to school for a while.

Clearly this is the right call but I really wish it had been made earlier as it seemed like it should have been for a while as the little ones haven’t got a clue what is going on.

We had issues with child wellbeing in Lockdown 1 and its aftermath. Despite their preference for home life, it was awful for their mental health.

I also found out that local CAMHS departments since March 23rd operate at a much lower level. Not sure why ... staff sickness? furlough? Leaving poor kids without help for ADHD and other conditions, whilst kids with severe depression now join a far longer waiting list.

Side effects of the pandemic and Lockdowns, not to be underestimated.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah I like Starmer and think he'd make a decent PM. Interestingly he's been given plenty of stick from his own side for trying to rise above the pantomime.

If tories like [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] are also attacking him, I suspect he's a winner. Blair also managed to disperse the 'pig in a blue rosette is great for me' and the stalinist 'no compromise wit the electrorate' numpties. Shame we have so long to wait till the next GE.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Spin to an echo chamber, that’s the very raison d’etre of the obsessive one-eyed posters from either end of politically spectrum on NSC. That’s one of the reasons Bozza set up The Bear Pit for you and the others. Never an inch given, loathing of the opposite viewpoint, never seeing any good in anything from Tories. Similarly unwavering thinking from the other side. No debating, no listening, closed minds, bitter souls.

I’ve said elsewhere on this thread that Johnson and this government is a disaster in every way in relation to the Pandemic.

I said that Starmer would have done things better, but also that any number of previous Conservative PM’s would have done better, too. Even, or perhaps even particularly, Thatcher, and I detested her. But she would have been capable of making difficult decisions.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I don’t think the Government has a clue what it’s doing.

They have let this nightmare get out of control and I think the suffering they are causing is completely lost on them.

I don’t just mean COVID. I mean the mental health and untreated illnesses which will have a much longer impact than anything we are experiencing at the moment. The closed businesses, the lost livelihoods. So many people are going to have to rebuild their lives after this.

I am in no way a lockdown sceptic - it is needed because of the pressure on the NHS. But there has to be balance and debate on this. Where are Whitty’s slides on any of the above? It’s fine to follow the science but that is only focusing on one thing and the Government has dug a massive hole for itself both through their utter incompetence and the lack of any challenge to the course of action they are taking. Who is speaking up for those suffering who have less than a 0.5% chance of being hospitalised?

I strongly believe that in the long term more people will die because of COVID rather through the illness. Both my kids aged 23 and 21 are getting counselling at the moment because of the massive impact this has had on their lives and as a family we are under massive pressure whilst still having to conduct our daily lives.

My partner is an NHS nurse who has had to close her ward because of an outbreak so I really get it - I’ve heard too many sad stories. But this whole thing has been handled so badly by so many people, it defies belief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Also worth bearing in mind this will only be the most at risk so 15m of the 25m priority people for vaccinations. I believe this first 15m could cut up to 90% of the deaths. After these first immunisations they will all have to be immunised again 12 weeks following which will probably mean a slowdown in the next 10m getting their first jabs, and I don't believe the government will significantly release restrictions (hospitality reopening, households mixing indoors, social distancing measures eased and heavy restrictions on audiences at sport/cultural events) until after all of these 25m have had their first jabs and the data shows the effectiveness of the immunisation programme.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
do me a favour, when faced with an obvious government calamity you reached for the 'yeah but Corbyn' type response, now have the temerity to take the moral high ground. Nice try.

Because you only ever post one way in your eternal hatred of all things Tory, the message loses all credibility. A few thumbs ups from like minded folk your reward.

Political, economic or social threads draw you in like fly paper, where you say exactly the same, a thousand different ways.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'd far rather hmgov did U-turns by the dozen rather than just sit on their hands like they did in the Spring

Yep, I was very unhappy with the school re-opening today. That mistake has been swiftly rectified and whilst a little bemused by the ‘schools are safe’ mantra I am not going to kick Boris for making the correct decision.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
E5C921D7-CBC8-43C0-9E8A-A1B79430B07A.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve said elsewhere on this thread that Johnson and this government is a disaster in every way in relation to the Pandemic.

I said that Starmer would have done things better, but also that any number of previous Conservative PM’s would have done better, too. Even, or perhaps even particularly, Thatcher, and I detested her. But she would have been capable of making difficult decisions.

You’ve always been a thoughtful poster.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
you wanted the vaccine released before it was approved? Oxford was only last week, Pfizer a month ago and is limited due to the storage constraints, army cant help that.

[MENTION=33649]darkwolf666[/MENTION] didn't say that. He simply thinks the dispersal could and should be improved. I agree with him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If tories like [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] are also attacking him, I suspect he's a winner. Blair also managed to disperse the 'pig in a blue rosette is great for me' and the stalinist 'no compromise wit the electrorate' numpties. Shame we have so long to wait till the next GE.

It is ironic that libertarian at heart BJ has lost the anti Lockdown and Covid-deniers on NSC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports