Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris Johnson 8pm televised address - official match thread

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I have no doubt no other party in power would have done any better. Likely they would have had same advisers as well. Only difference Tories would be the ones to criticise and accuse them of changing minds

what other educated adult would chuckle whilst boasting about shaking hands with covid patients?

i'm still not entirely sure that he actually "gets it"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I assume that you are being facetious, because [MENTION=28856]rogersix[/MENTION] certainly was.

That said, we live in the post-irony age. Just after the post-stonyage and before the postage stampy age.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Agree. It's all pantomime.

I reckon a few on this thread boo and hiss when they see Boris appear on telly.

You may be right - but watching Boris followed by Keir Starmer was interesting. One came across as a clown who can't even be bothered to comb his hair. The other looked and sounded like a leader. I'd pretty much guarantee we'd be in a much better place with Starmer at the helm. At least we wouldn't have channelled billions to all BoJo's mates running dodgy PPE firms, etc.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Aside from the tiresome political arguments, I feel so sorry for young kids like mine tonight.

In for one day and they were absolutely buzzing coming out of school having seen their friends and caught up on Christmas etc. My 6 year old was in tears tonight when we said he wouldn’t be seeing them again or going in to school for a while.

Clearly this is the right call but I really wish it had been made earlier as it seemed like it should have been for a while as the little ones haven’t got a clue what is going on.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Wouldn’t say this government ever admit mistakes or wrong decisions. Hancock claimed this government act incredibly quickly or something to that effect on the radio this morning. Realise this is a general political trait of course.

I take issue with laughing at Starmer for wanting to ‘cancel Christmas’ then doing this 2 days later and then this debacle over schools. Right decision tonight but he doesn’t do leadership. HE does anything to be liked or whatever the person who has his attention wants.

I'm fairness to Hancock he was arguing in private to shut the schools last week (Peston tweet). Whilst he can be a bit weird - that crying on the telly for example - he is one of the better ones in that cabinet for talent. Williamson was arguing for schools and Boris went for the latters opinion before his u turn today.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You may be right - but watching Boris followed by Keir Starmer was interesting. One came across as a clown who can't even be bothered to comb his hair. The other looked and sounded like a leader. I'd pretty much guarantee we'd be in a much better place with Starmer at the helm. At least we wouldn't have channelled billions to all BoJo's mates running dodgy PPE firms, etc.

Indeed.

We have a pillock at the helm.

It's whataboutery to say 'we have no idea if Starmer would be better' and pathetic to suggest 'what suggestions has Starmet actually made?' (etc.).

And some of the same firm supporters of Boris the Liar want Potter out? ???

I think it's a mindset, and the mindset is 'dickhead' :shrug:

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
In the same way many contributors to this thread would vote for any **** with a red rosette. And they do, without even thinking.

Agree but I’d be of the opinion that a Conservative party with the backing of the majority of the press benefit the most from this type of voters. Anyway I’d appreciate a PM who could answer a question properly and interviewers that could hold his answers to account.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
well that was what i was refering to. are you a perma-lockdown supporter, we should have been restricted since summer, schools never should have gone back?

No, I’m not a lockdown supporter, per se.

My belief is we should have got the vaccine situation sorted, so the actual vaccines are in hand, not just “promises” of more to come, then a full lockdown - like March (which this won’t be) - at that point we should have brought in the military and every other resource available to roll out the vaccine programme as effectively as, well, a military operation!

I hope to be wrong, but will be amazed if ALL the extremely vulnerable are vaccinated by mid February...

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
Anyone who went to the footy knowing Covid was back to its deadly ways surely can't whinge about the current decisions being made? 2,000 people in a stadium was always potentially life threatening to the masses.

We have to take responsibility on a mass scale and we the people are to blame the most. Piers Morgan went on holiday to the Caribbean over xmas with his family. That's the same man telling us blood will be on our hands if we don't obey the rules. That's what's going wrong here. The biggest spreaders are the ones preaching to stay in the most.

Time we stricken up and go full lockdown. Bring in the army. Imprison anyone not obeying the rules. No one allowed out of their house unless it's for emergency purposes and anyone who wants to meet family/family should have a limit of 2/3 visits a year maximum and that's only once we've got everyone vaccinated. Covid19 will never completely go away. Time we embrace the new normal without all this silly, selfish risk taking and scapegoating going on.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The Starmer description of being 'an unpainted fence post' or an 'Anglican vicar trying to hold in a fart at a funeral' wasn't too far off.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
we have the infrastructure, vaccinate 30m every year in around 3 months. once they've done the vulnerable list they've coverd half the population anyway.

Army were on M20 this morning, administrating vaccine to Lorry drivers going to France. Unfortunately I was in the wrong lane. 2 lorries waiting and 1 driving down to the vaccination point.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Yeah I like Starmer and think he'd make a decent PM. Interestingly he's been given plenty of stick from his own side for trying to rise above the pantomime.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No, I’m not a lockdown supporter, per se.

My belief is we should have got the vaccine situation sorted, so the actual vaccines are in hand, not just “promises” of more to come, then a full lockdown - like March (which this won’t be) - at that point we should have brought in the military and every other resource available to roll out the vaccine programme as effectively as, well, a military operation!

I hope to be wrong, but will be amazed if ALL the extremely vulnerable are vaccinated by mid February...

The most positive thing for me has to be that now it's all coming down to logistics. Which may be extremely challenging, but at least it means dealing with tangibles, unlike in the Spring which was all about dealing with the largely unknown

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Many are to blame but in all honesty the same pattern of infections is occurring in nearly all western countries. I think the government have made bad decisions but I think no matter what was done unless we’d locked down for the entirety of winter, the virus would have spiked massively between January and March.

Understand the lockdown, as numbers are increasing to an uncomfortable level, but at the same time I won’t comply with another year of this if that were to happen, I think there would be a revolution across Europe.

The government or us humans??

I'm in the same boat as you following rules etc.

I expect to see 2021 in June onwards

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

7 weeks minimum lockdown, all dependent on vaccine roll out which is wishful thinking, plus need to give at least 3 weeks following roll out to most vulnerable to get full efficacy and then the numbers on deaths and hospitalisations and pressure on NHS which will take a further 3/4 weeks so I'd expect the lockdown to be more like 14 weeks which would take us to wc 14th April for an easing of restrictions possibly back into tier 4 for much of the country.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
136046857_10225027207136191_5358085082814979195_n.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agree but I’d be of the opinion that a Conservative party with the backing of the majority of the press benefit the most from this type of voters. Anyway I’d appreciate a PM who could answer a question properly and interviewers that could hold his answers to account.

The only people still supporting a pig an a particular coloured rosette at the moment seem to be the Boris supporters. Suggesting 'whatabout people preferring Starmer just because he has a red rosette' is crass. I support Starmer but I never supported the wanker Corbyn :shrug: Tories opposed to Boris, however, are thin on the ground. I can't see Bozza et al cutting Corbyn any slack if he were (heaven forfend) in charge now. Rightly so. But I can't see them cutting Starmer any slack either. Fancy that :shrug:

Bottom line, Boris has failed, failed and failed again over Covid, while enriching his pals, and that's why we are top of the charts in the race to disease and death.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here