Boris Johnson 8pm televised address - official match thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What might help is getting test results out within five days. Had a test on Saturday morning and still no result despite apparently being prioritised due to vaccine trial.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep.

Whatever he did before, Boris has acted correctly this evening and Starmer has been just as statesmanlike in openly backing him on his BBC interview. Now Brexit is done I'd really like to see them working together in unity to get vaccines rolled out and keep economic and educational disruption to a minimum, without putting the vulnerable at unnecessary risk.

Respect to you as vehement non-Tory for cerebral, balanced comments in this thread. Also [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], always facts over petty party political noise.

The day of any major announcement is made, all the way back to March, the heads of the 4 nations have long zoom type meetings, going through the professional advice and agreeing their approaches. Sturgeon happens to always hold her press conferences earlier. Under the radar from the rabid unlistening Tory haters, since March, Sturgeon has gone out of her to thank Downing Street on the sharing of all information in real time.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Trying to equalise wrongs with whataboutery is not helpful in time of national crisis. In these times you expect proper leadership and government and they have failed us

Is trying to extract every last drop of political point-scoring juice helpful in times of national crisis?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tier 4 does not include those with underlying health issues. It includes those who are clinically extremely vulnerable, who were advised to shield in the first national lockdown, and have been advised to shield again.

Tier 4 is a geographical area. Shielding as such doesn't apply as it did in the March lockdown. In the last lockdown people like myself who were asked to shield first time round were merely asked to remain extra careful

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I would contest that as unless I am mistaken, he stated that schools may be able to begin re-opening for non key worker children from after half term, which is a full month earlier.

I’m a teacher and parent. Schools absolutely should be closed but hope they open fully after the half term. 3 months like last time was too long and really negatively impacted on children’s lives. Let’s hope. One poster said April. I bloody hope not.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Tier 4 is a geographical area. Shielding as such doesn't apply as it did in the March lockdown. In the last lockdown people like myself who were asked to shield first time round were merely asked to remain extra careful

In the real lockdown “shielders” we’re told not to go outdoors, excepting medical appointments. That advice didn’t change until August 1st when things overnight became magically different.

As a family we have continued to shield, excepting a daily one hour walk, since mid-March...!

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I’m a teacher and parent. Schools absolutely should be closed but hope they open fully after the half term. 3 months like last time was too long and really negatively impacted on children’s lives. Let’s hope. One poster said April. I bloody hope not.

I'm just a parent, but they should be reviewing the schools question in 4 weeks time to see which areas could reopen - a blanket "shut until half-term" is not warranted.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Respect to you as vehement non-Tory for cerebral, balanced comments in this thread. Also [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], always facts over petty party political noise.

The day of any major announcement is made, all the way back to March, the heads of the 4 nations have long zoom type meetings, going through the professional advice and agreeing their approaches. Sturgeon happens to always hold her press conferences earlier. Under the radar from the rabid unlistening Tory haters, since March, Sturgeon has gone out of her to thank Downing Street on the sharing of all information in real time.

Thanks.

I find it beyond frustrating that people focus in on what Boris was saying 48 hours ago and not what he did tonight. Surely if he opposed their view then, and changed his mind now, then they won and the right thing has been done.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Trying to equalise wrongs with whataboutery is not helpful in time of national crisis. In these times you expect proper leadership and government and they have failed us

When the same old bitter names turn up with eternal Tory hating predictability, it’s worth looking at other places to benchmark. Some ridiculously one-eyed NSC posts in March and April on how well and presidential Macron and Sturgeon had managed the pandemic. Then that went rather quiet as it turned out only Germany, Denmark, Finland and Norway could be envied. Like the UK, the rest of Europe was AND STILL IS a CV19 disaster zone.

Plenty of major gaff by Johnson in my opinion. But unlike you, I can give a balanced argument.

Your NSC posts aside from football are relentlessly anti Tory, you never listen to an opposing view on any matter, The Bear Pit was made for exactly that limited mindset.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Thanks.

I find it beyond frustrating that people focus in on what Boris was saying 48 hours ago and not what he did tonight. Surely if he opposed their view then, and changed his mind now, then they won and the right thing has been done.

with expert help he should foresee problems and lead us around them

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks.

Agreed. Also not sure why every single new decision has to result in a headline of ‘U TURN !!’.........the situation is changing rapidly so there should be changes in thinking and decisions.

Anyway, correct decision from BJ, NS etc today. Everything has to be thrown at the vaccine rollout now.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I would contest that as unless I am mistaken, he stated that schools may be able to begin re-opening for non key worker children from after half term, which is a full month earlier.

You are correct but there were a lot of if's that need to happen for this to be the case and it would seem that would be the only restriction eased. All other restrictions will remain until late March at the earliest and probably well into April and May.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
............ but it seems many here and elsewhere can and could see the blindingly obvious long long before the Prime Minister...
Same thing happened here in Aus, fortunately the this is a federation of states and the state premiers forced the idiot into action. In Victoria we made the mistake of bowing to pressure from other states and the business sector into opening up too early and got hit a second time. This time around the state premier took the advice solely from the experts and the result was a major lockdown and eradication. We then had 50 days relaxed rules and zero new cases. Unfortunately we have been reinfected via visitors from NSW. I suspect they will have a trigger point if they cannot knock this new infection on the head.

Before our second lockdown we were getting new cases comparable to the UK, we went into lockdown while Johnson told everyone to go to the restaurant and the Gov would pay half the bill. We are now freaking out that we have had 4 new cases yesterday and the UK ..............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports