Boris Johnson 8pm televised address - official match thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed but you are saying that as a more mature person? I think they are ***** but I do kind of get how I would have throught very differently when I was their age, especially as most footballers have their brains in their feet :shrug:

Get where you’re coming from but as Jose intimated in his interview at the weekend the players will have had every conceivable condition made 100% clear to them multiple times, have flunkies doing everything for them and will have been constantly reminded of their responsibilities and the impact of breaches. The ignorance to the degree seen is beyond a bit of arrogance or denseness.

Interesting comparison maybe with the cricketers in the test series in the Summer who had to completely bubble for weeks at a time away from their families but just got on with it (apart from Joff who was also a tit).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All the schools around here (East Sussex) are closed already.

Same here in North Kent. Online activity schedule for the week (primary school) arrived today.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’d suggest that he is an exception. I may be wrong though.

I can only answer as I remember how irresponsible I was at that age. It took my daughter to be born with life threatening problems that brought things home to me and I was older than these guys are.

I think we all like to reminisce about how wild we were in our youth. We were all punks, football hooligans, stayed out all night, streetwise, did dodgy deals, eg, etc - especially on here and when talking to people who can’t challenge us. We all could’ve been pro footballers as well but liked going out too much.

Bollox.

I’d like to think we all had a brain, some role models and a sense of responsibility so would have understood how serious COVID is and tried to do the right thing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's too late to talk about sending a message. Cummings driving up to Durham when knowingly infected with C19 and not being sacked set the tone.

Completely disagree. Mistakes have been made and a bigger one will be to carry on making the same mistakes.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Useless without the power of enforcement. Mind you some will still ignore it

Quite. He really needs to dial down the Churchill Blitz spirit “in it together” rhetoric and start getting tough. Well, he should have started that a year ago but I’m all for 300th chances.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we all like to reminisce about how wild we were in our youth. We were all punks, football hooligans, stayed out all night, streetwise, did dodgy deals, eg, etc - especially on here and when talking to people who can’t challenge us. We all could’ve been pro footballers as well but liked going out too much.

Bollox.

I’d like to think we all had a brain, some role models and a sense of responsibility so would have understood how serious COVID is and tried to do the right thing.

Very true, we never had shit like this to deal with :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Closing schools a day after telling the country they were safe and people should send their kids in is so inept it hurts. As if the situation has changed that much in 24 hours.

Leadership has been replaced, first with followship, now sinkingship.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I am not sure how responsible I would have been in my early twenties with the money to buy a Lambo. I was an irresponsible **** with no money. God knows what I would have been like if I’d been loaded. I find it really hard to pass judgement :shrug:

I’m lead to believe the cool kids are calling them “‘ghini’s” now.

Par example

“Boys in their ‘ghini’s
Wolfing at the girls in bikinis “

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
My guess...
Schools closed until beginning of Feb
Whole country in Tier 4 until beginning of Feb.
Boris to reveal it is a wig.
Any interactions with airborne mammals and any aquatic creatures to be seriously frowned upon.
And finally, Government scientist, Professor Whatsit, to reveal that left handed people are natural carriers of Covid and should therefore all be restricted to some kind of box under the stairs until further notice.

I am left handed at eating, but right handed at writing. Quel?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Following the science
New variant now shooting up in all areas of England
Not a National Lockdown as the Isles of Scilly remain in tier 1 (but closed to non residents)
We're doing a really great job on rolling the vaccine out
Without Brexit we wouldn't be in such a strong position on vaccines
I don't really want to do any of this, but we need to get the R rate down
Their are no problems in extending the period between the two vaccine jabs
I known the whole country is behind us in fighting this virus and I'm sure that by Easter we will all be hugging loved ones
Really concerned about South African variant which is why we need to take this action that I didn't want to do
Schools are still safe but we must wherever possible restrict contact and therefore reduce the spread of the virus
By all staying home and avoiding contact with others outside of your household we can, as we have before bring this virus under control and save the NHS

And 1 outsider
Face masks must now be worn all the time when outside of your home.

You missed “people have relaxed and are no longer following the rules which we have so clearly and consistently laid out”

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
that term appears to be somewhat derogatory; i fail to see how anyone else could have done any better, mr. johnson is a world leader

My apologies. Of course, you are right. If we had listened to Starmer we'd all be dead. Or worse.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I’d suggest that he is an exception. I may be wrong though.

I can only answer as I remember how irresponsible I was at that age. It took my daughter to be born with life threatening problems that brought things home to me and I was older than these guys are.

Without interrogating them all, I would suggest you are wrong. There are 500 named squad players in the premier league plus a host of younger players that don't need to be named. Of that number, how many have hit the headlines for breaches? Probably 10/15 at most. Now some may have breached but not been dumb enough to get photographed, we'll never know. But I would suggest on a scale, more lean towards Rashford than they do towards Grealish/Walker!!

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
So you’re holding up your hands and taking responsibility for pursuing Corbyn as a viable PM candidate?

Well done. I can’t imagine others of your ilk being man enough. They tend to disappear when the going gets tough. Another thing they have in common with Boris.

I'm a pragmatist and although have previously only ever voted Labour whilst residing in constituencies where Labour had stood a chance, for the past two elections where i now live i have voted Liberal as the only viable alternative to the Tory who generally win here in Eastbourne. I will also add that Corbyn did make this decision easier.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
My apologies. Of course, you are right. If we had listened to Starmer we'd all be dead. Or worse.

In recent times Frankie Boyle had become, imho, stale and predictable.

I enjoyed the New Year show however, and I can recommend it on iPlayer where the obvious target of BoJo et al cop it but Starmer received a pretty accurate and fitting tribute also.

Starmer has no more clue about a strategy than you or I.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Useless without the power of enforcement. Mind you some will still ignore it

Well, the subtext of the message has always been this: the British public have excellent judgement and should be trusted. It is not the job of the government to tell people what to do. That would be very wrong.

Many on NSC will read that and nod, knowingly.

Anyway, I'm off to sniff a line of ants, inject myself with an armful of heroin and enjoy tonight's match. It's my life and I'll do what I want. :shrug:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
that term appears to be somewhat derogatory; i fail to see how anyone else could have done any better, mr. johnson is a world leader

A world leader whose mind that has never been violated by an original thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I really don't like to ask, but you did understand who and what the three of you were voting for a year ago ? In case, you didn't, it was to put Johnson in charge of everything for 5 years (and obviously, being a democracy, you got what you wanted)

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

The inference that anybody voted for Coronavirus, or that Coronavirus has anything to do with Brexit, is a prime candidate for the most pathetically stupid thing that has ever been posted on NSC. If you want to carry on bleating about Brexit, and trying to bring it up in every discussion about the government's handling of the Covid crisis, f*** off to one of the threads set aside for you and your chums to gather together to reinforce your prejudices and share your moaning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports