Boris Johnson 8pm televised address - official match thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I just hope football is allowed to continue.

if we are saying children cant be taught because it is unsafe, how is it safe to have a 50-60 people meeting for sport?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Boris is clearly not a Saints or Liverpool fan FFS

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I guess all the players breaching the rules aren’t so bothered

I am not sure how responsible I would have been in my early twenties with the money to buy a Lambo. I was an irresponsible **** with no money. God knows what I would have been like if I’d been loaded. I find it really hard to pass judgement :shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sure, but they have put football above the parapet

Agreed but you are saying that as a more mature person? I think they are ***** but I do kind of get how I would have throught very differently when I was their age, especially as most footballers have their brains in their feet :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Boris, the bungle**** who saved Christmas* but stole spring.

*Oh, but he didn't though. :facepalm:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Agreed but you are saying that as a more mature person? I think they are ***** but I do kind of get how I would have throught very differently when I was their age, especially as most footballers have their brains in their feet :shrug:

The likes of Rashford are quite common in their attitudes nowadays.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
So he’ll move us into Tier 5. “Urge” everyone to stay home but not enforce it, then in a fortnight he’ll finally get a clue and put us into a proper lockdown. That he still won’t enforce. He usually follows the rest of the U.K. about a fortnight after they decide to do the right thing.

Useless without the power of enforcement. Mind you some will still ignore it

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
if we are saying children cant be taught because it is unsafe, how is it safe to have a 50-60 people meeting for sport?

I know. And you’re not wrong..

But in this dismal time we need every bloody comfort we can get. I sincerely feel sport is tremendous escapism, and is probably an important thing for people’s mental well-being.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The likes of Rashford are quite common in their attitudes nowadays.

I’d suggest that he is an exception. I may be wrong though.

I can only answer as I remember how irresponsible I was at that age. It took my daughter to be born with life threatening problems that brought things home to me and I was older than these guys are.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cards at the ready

456b115bebb8a8cde8b4a9b91dd284a3.jpg

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
It's not that schools (or Covid swamps as I like to call them) aren't safe for kids - they will be fine. But they catch it. Schools are huge covid mixers, and they then take it home and into the wider community.

I have a household bubble of 7, four of which attend/work in 3 different schools which all have had numerous positive cases. They will not be able to realistically prevent bringing it home. Fortunately my Dad at 79 and dementia and lives with us will be vaccinated on Thursday, so we won't have Covid on our conscious, but I cant see my wife and I avoiding it - just a question of when :( and hope we don't get it bad.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know. And you’re not wrong..

But in this dismal time we need every bloody comfort we can get. I sincerely feel sport is tremendous escapism, and is probably an important thing for people’s mental well-being.

i agree. and also want children, particularly primary, to go school for education and interaction with other children, important for mental well being of children and parents.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I just hope football is allowed to continue.

Footballers get tested twice a week

Why do people keep thinking it only takes footballers to stage a premier league match? Each PL game requires approx. 400 people to be at the stadium on match day plus many, many more to run the twenty training complexes up and down the country through the week. Is all that really the essential travel only that we are all going to be asked to limit our movements to?

If things are so bad that we can't even send our kids to school it seems completely tone deaf that PL football is carrying on.

Plus with every match broadcast live on subsription channels and pubs shut it is encouraging household mixing. They really need to suspend PL football now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports