Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Boring.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Welbeck can't score and I can only assume that Undav, who neither Potter nor RDZ will start, must be even worse. So what was the point of taking USG's record goalscorer if he is nowhere near being EPL standard? So if Undav isn't up to it, why bin off Maupay? There's something not quite right going on here.
Presumably Maupay was sold because he sulked and downed tools rather than fight for his place. A shame for us, because he'd walk into the XI in these circumstances. As for Undav, it's looking like he's joining our long list of shit unwanted strikers that were fairly cheap yet still cost millions of pounds. I really hope I'm wrong.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We've always had a decent, yet very patchy team. Nothing has really changed from last season: awesome start, followed by a patch when we couldn't but a win against poor sides. Last night's game was Leeds at home replayed.

Just because we had a decent start this season and Potter left doesn't mean that he'd "fixed" where we fell down ever season for the last 3. The truth is, sadly, we'll never know, but what I do know is that if we aren't patchy, we aren't Brighton. Rough with the smooth
Agree , but I am not someone who thinks Potter was a genius he was good but certainly had flaws , he also got lucky last season with being forced to play Caicedo who is potentially the best player I will have seen play for Brighton in a span covering 40 years. A decent manager will not have so many of these off patches , so let's see where this takes us. What has surprised me is lack of substitutions and that will bother Ferguson (not even on bench) , Encisco and Sarmiento.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As ever, the whole mood on here is based on the last couple of games. Go back to post-Leicester and people were checking out hotels in Paris and Madrid in lieu of next seasons Euro campaign.

We've played well in each game under De Zerbi, but couldn't stick the ball in the net. Its an age-old problem that pre-dates his arrival by years. I'd be far more worried if we were playing absolute shite and NOT dominating teams, but nobody can state that is the case with any credibility. Everything looks good until the final 3rd. Twas always the case.

Sometimes it'll work and we'll take a few of these half-chances we create. Often it won't and we'll end up frustrated. That is the pattern of a mid-table PL team, which is exactly what we are. We finished 9th last season doing exactly what we were doing last night, and nobody was crying into their beers over that, were they ?

Calm down ffs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As ever, the whole mood on here is based on the last couple of games. Go back to post-Leicester and people were checking out hotels in Paris and Madrid in lieu of next seasons Euro campaign.

We've played well in each game under De Zerbi, but couldn't stick the ball in the net. Its an age-old problem that pre-dates his arrival by years. I'd be far more worried if we were playing absolute shite and NOT dominating teams, but nobody can state that is the case with any credibility. Everything looks good until the final 3rd. Twas always the case.

Sometimes it'll work and we'll take a few of these half-chances we create. Often it won't and we'll end up frustrated. That is the pattern of a mid-table PL team, which is exactly what we are. We finished 9th last season doing exactly what we were doing last night, and nobody was crying into their beers over that, were they ?

Calm down ffs.
Plenty were voting Potter Out before that great run at the end of the season and I think we were in 13th at half time in the last game.

Potter could not have walked at a better time for him in truth

When the inevitable first RDZ IN/OUT poll is posted, I hope it's with the make votes public option as I pretty well guarantee it will be the same people voting OUT as did in every Potter IN/OUT poll :smile:

I won't be starting the poll though!

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
This is incredibly predictable, but it's not boring.

There was always going to be a turbulent transitional stage.

Anyone questioning De Zerbi's ability at this stage is beyond naive.

The performances so far under De Zerbi have been reassurring, really. The players still confident and the team looking strong under the new manager.

The lack of goals is concerning. It may take De Zerbi some time to find a way around this, without a goalscoring striker.

Fans should expect poor results during this transitional stage. The transitional stage is likely to last the rest of the season, or longer.

We need to be very patient - and if we have learnt anything through Potter - patience ultimately is often what it takes to succeed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm no moaning whatsoever or De Zerbi out or any bollocks like that, but let's be honest, last night was REALLY f***ing boring, wasn't it? It became clear after 50 minutes that we were never going to score.

Like I say, not a moan overall, I'm willing to be patient with a new manager after we've lost so many staff, but yeah, it was a bit dull wasn't it?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Wouldn’t say we are boring at all, frustrating, absolutely!

We have been in every one of the last 4 games
In our last three games we have averaged the following (they all have similar stats):
Possession: 67%
Shots: 18
Shots on target: 6
Shots on target against us: 3

The football looks pleasing to the eye. We’re not passing at our best but our lack of finishing remains our Achille’s heel. Boring we are not:

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Any anger/frustration needs to be directed towards Potter, having jumped ship for the dollar, taking all the coaching staff with him. RDZ has been left with a bemused squad of players, is trying to make a good fist with the players he's been left with. I suggest we give Potter and his staff, including the legend that was Bruno, a hard time when they sit in the away dug out next week......

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Do PL players really need to be spoon fed every little thing, I turned over to Palace v Wolves after our sad effort and found yes I know Zaha quite refreshing. Said he did what he thought was best on the pitch and drifted inside Viera didn’t have any say in it. Our squad knew what was working listen to the manager to a point but why be so rigid.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Incredibly frustrating yes but no way was last night boring. In the first half we played some lovely football and totally dominated a game against an anti football performance that we used to put in week in week out (without that level of cheating). Nobody remember that? That’s what I call boring.

We are spoilt big time if you found last night boring :shrug:
I'm not sure they were 'anti-football' in so much as they never really had much of a chance to try and play football, as we had the ball and pinned them back. Yes - they came to defend, but I always got the feeling that they would have had ago if they could have done.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He has inherited a physically lightweight squad. We were bullied by Spurs and to some extent, Brentford. For three years there has been a fragile confidence amongst this group, particularly the ' touch ' players. We have no strength in forward positions. Toney demonstrated what we are missing. Potter was obsessed with skillful, lightweight players. Our only ' muck and bullets ' is at the back. We are powder-puff compared to a number of teams. We need Moder back for his power, a new midfield enforcer and a beast upfront.
Biss, latterly Caicedo and Mac Allister can more than look after themselves and do.

Imho we shed that lightweight tag when Montoya and Propper were squeezed out of the first team.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I thought this De Zombie was a young, fresh, attacking, exciting up and coming manager with lots of ideas? So far I haven’t seen any.

Frankly tonight was shit, not pissing the mattress yet but could this be a rare Bloom gambling error? 😬

giphy.gif

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Teams have done a job on us, more like, knowing exactly what stops us scoring when we play slow tippy tappy football without a striker who can score
Well Forest didn’t did they. We did a job on them. They barely got out of their half. Our players - veltmab, gross, Trossard, welbeck, March - had multiple chances which they could/should have put away. And/or Henderson saved. Also was it tippy tappy ? We tried the long ball to welbeck half a dozen times - just didn’t come off.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The annoying thing is we should be absolutely loving this football, some of the play in the first half was on a different planet to what I have grown up watching with the Albion, but it is so frustrating being so close yet so far it seems.
As someone else said it often feels the same coming away as when we were actually shit at football.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
The annoying thing is we should be absolutely loving this football, some of the play in the first half was on a different planet to what I have grown up watching with the Albion, but it is so frustrating being so close yet so far it seems.
As someone else said it often feels the same coming away as when we were actually shit at football.
It is definitely a weird kind of deflating watching us continually be the dominant side but all for no reward/end result. Nightmare inducing even, compared to just being rubbish and accepting you deserved nothing from a game.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It is definitely a weird kind of deflating watching us continually be the dominant side but all for no reward/end result. Nightmare inducing even, compared to just being rubbish and accepting you deserved nothing from a game.
It is indeed frustrating that we all know what the key area is to turn dominance into results, and it's the same area that the club have always appeared stubbornly reluctant to address. Nevermind, maybe one day the algorithm will turn up a world-beating Bulgarian striker that the rest of world's footballing scouting systems have somehow managed to overlook. And yes indeed, it IS always easy to spend somebody else's money.
Welbeck can't score and I can only assume that Undav, who neither Potter nor RDZ will start, must be even worse. So what was the point of taking USG's record goalscorer if he is nowhere near being EPL standard? So if Undav isn't up to it, why bin off Maupay? There's something not quite right going on here.
What's the worst that could happen by giving Undav a start and/or a decent run-out v Citeh on Saturday? It's a free hit anyway, and if he's got anything at all about him, he'd be WAY hungrier than Welbeck would be in the role

*EDIT* Apologies for multiple quotes in same post, wasn't supposed to happen. Still getting to grips with the vagaries of the new forum format

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here