Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Boring but quick HMRC question..

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hello.

Switched from working for two organisations to one organisation two months ago.

Been on a 661T tax code so basically paying double tax.

Spoke to HMRC just now. They changed my code. So should be fine now.

However, I forgot to ask how the rebate I’m due is paid. I’ve heard it should go into your next appropriate pay. Or do you have to request the rebate?

I was on hold for 50 mins this morning. Don’t fancy that again for one question.

Anyone on here know how it’s done now?

Cheers
TC

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Hello.

However, I forgot to ask how the rebate I’m due is paid. I’ve heard it should go into your next appropriate pay. Or do you have to request the rebate?

I was on hold for 50 mins this morning. Don’t fancy that again for one question.

Cheers
TC
It should go into your next one, but not necessarily. HMRC seem to operate in one massive grey area. I think it genuinely depends on who you speak to there.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If they have changed your tax code the rebate should automatically appear in your next salary

EDIT
A quicker solution than contacting HMRC is to check with whoever sorts of salary payments at your employer. They should be able to tell you.

Last edited:

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Depends whether your new code is cumulative or W1/M1. The former will automatically generate a rebate, but the latter won’t. The rebate will be in the form of a reduction in tax in your next pay.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Yep the 661 appllies to your annual freepay before tax (so was 6610 in your case)
This may increase to the full allowance if now only one job instead of being split between two?
You'll now be nine months into the tax year in December so entitled to 9/12ths of that to date.
So long as your new Tax code doesn't place you on emergency tax you should be refunded any overpaid tax to date on next payslip
IF your tax code on your payslip contains 'W1', 'M1', or 'X,' that means you're on an emergency tax rate.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
But I should add that I'm not sure you will have been overpaying tax. Not if your tax code was split between the 2 jobs. You may well not be due a refund as such, just an update to code your for the rest of the year
If you've had simliar "freepay" codes in both jobs I'm afraid your tax to date is probably correct.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It should go into your next one, but not necessarily. HMRC seem to operate in one massive grey area. I think it genuinely depends on who you speak to there.
This. It can be done a number of ways: deducted from tax paid in your next pay slip, deducted pro rate from tax due between now and March, or even a lump sum paid into your account.

If you want it done in a non-arbitrary way, you need to phone them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thanks all. Very helpful, as usual.

👍

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But I should add that I'm not sure you will have been overpaying tax. Not if your tax code was split between the 2 jobs. You may well not be due a refund as such, just an update to code your for the rest of the year
If you've had simliar "freepay" codes in both jobs I'm afraid your tax to date is probably correct.

No problem. Just looking to get myself on the correct code.

It was only if I were owed money, how it would be paid back.

Cheers 👍

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
My Auntie always sends me a cheque for Christmas/Birthdays. Not sure I remember how to pay it in though - all the banks in my town have closed!
You should be able to pay them in using your bank's App. You just take photos of the front and back of the cheque and there it is, credited to your account (pending clearance, obvs🙄).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m still waiting for a self-assessment overpayment from 2020/2021. ****s.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hello.

Cheers
TC
In my experience any tax owed to you comes back quite randomly. Sometimes I've had it all in my next pay packet, sometimes split across pay packets, sometimes via pay packet and a random cheque from HMRC and sometimes via a letter at the end of the tax year encouraging me to apply online or they'll send a cheque if they don't hear from me.

Don't you just love a steamlined process saving the taxpayer time and money !

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You should be able to pay them in using your bank's App. You just take photos of the front and back of the cheque and there it is, credited to your account (pending clearance, obvs🙄).
Depends how much his Auntie sends him !

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I’m still waiting for a self-assessment overpayment from 2020/2021. ****s.
I've been doing SA for 25+ years and invariably my income tax is overpaid and they owe me a refund. It used to be the case that you put your bank details on the SA for where any refund is to be sent. In the last 2 years they have reverted to sending cheques. One last thought, are you sure they've not "returned it" via a Tax Code adjustment? Unusual for a credit but if they have, you can demand the full lump sum.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I was told I had underpaid tax on savings interest since rates began to rise (everything else is PAYE), so they are deducting it via my tax code over the year from next April.

Damn them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here