Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boring American Football?

MillitantSeagull

Jul 10, 2010
Brighton
I love American Football, since I went to America in 2007, I also went to watch the Patriots at Wembley in 2009. I also appreciate that some people may not like it and have their criticisms of it, like every other sport does. Having said that, proper football is still number 1 for me.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
I went to Arizona state v Arizona last night, it was the best sports atmosphere I have ever been in!!

Good game, NCAA is so much better then NFL!

Love this sport!!

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
agreed, on the whole they get bigger crowds too

is it Michigan State who get like 110,000 average at home?

6 of the top 10 biggest sports stadiums in the world, are US college football grounds.

Michigan holds just under 110,000. Penn State, 107,000, Tennessee, 103,000, Ohio 103,000 Alabama 102,000, Texas 100,000.

Have managed to visit a good amount of them on my travels and they are pretty incredible to see up close/walk on the field.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Thought some folks might find this interesting from today. Have become a big American Football fan since moving to the US and often come against the argument that it's too boring to watch, etc...

Alabama are reigning national champions were ranked #1 in the college football standings, Auburn ranked # (and Auburn is in Alabama, so this is a major local derby).

The games is tied with 0:01 left, and Alabama have a field goal attempt to win it - and to make it a little more unbelievable, there wouldn't have been any time left, but an instant replay put a second back on the clock after a reception, allowing Alabama to try for the field goal.

Video with John Lees levels of excitement for the commentary; bit.ly/1ceGki9 - this return meant Auburn came back and won the game with 0:00 on the clock...

Marvelous scenes!

Its not the final 00:01 of this match that is boring, its the 4 hrs of start/stop p*ssing about (oh its it strange how the game 'naturally' allows for so many TV ad breaks?!) that drives most of the world away from this pale imitation of a real sport.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Its not the final 00:01 of this match that is boring, its the 4 hrs of start/stop p*ssing about (oh its it strange how the game 'naturally' allows for so many TV ad breaks?!) that drives most of the world away from this pale imitation of a real sport.

Very much this, I have watched plenty of American Football in bars over the years and it's just a terrible viewing experience. It's also really annoying that they can change the ENTIRE team for different plays, imagine if you won a corner in football and could send on a load of 7ft tall blokes to stand in the box.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
6 of the top 10 biggest sports stadiums in the world, are US college football grounds.

Michigan holds just under 110,000. Penn State, 107,000, Tennessee, 103,000, Ohio 103,000 Alabama 102,000, Texas 100,000.

Have managed to visit a good amount of them on my travels and they are pretty incredible to see up close/walk on the field.

Michigan had 113,000 this weekend apparently, shame they couldn't best Ohio State. Terrific game though.

I can understand it's not everyone's cup-of-tea but once you get into it American Football is addictive. I love it. Putting the woeful performance of the Washed-Up Redskins this morning aside I had a great weekend with the Oregon/Oregon State, Michigan/Ohio State and Auburn/Alabama all great rivalries, all going down to the last second. With the Auburn game providing the most thrilling end to any sporting event I have seen this year.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
can anyone tell me why its called football when they hardly ever touch it with their feet?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
can anyone tell me why its called football when they hardly ever touch it with their feet?

Why not use the word "football". They seem to copy everything else.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Because it evolved from association football and rugby football.
Because there is no law that says the name of the game has to be limited to what is used most, or what parts of the game can be used to name it (all games start with a kick, most touchdowns are followed by kicks, if the defensive team does a decent job punts are a regular occurrence, so it's not like they never touch it with their feet)
Because the ball is a foot long.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Americans would be totally confused if it was called rugby football. :wink:

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
It's a four-hour advertisement-fest, interrupted by an occasional outbreak of British Bulldog between two-teams of motorcycle messengers.

Bleugh!

If you take a slightly more objective view. There isn't blatant advertising on shirts, pitch, around the pitch perimeter or even on the screen during play. I can think of many sports played in Europe where you cannot say that. And this applies for NFL and NCAA.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Boring... Are you kidding me?!

Given the game tonight - I just had to post this... GO HAWKS!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here