Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Boom in Baby Banks

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
First hand observation and experience is not 'anecdotal evidence'. I too have witnessed at first hand what Green Cross Code Man has observed. It happens; it is fact.

Actually it is THE textbook definition of 'anecdotal evidence'.

theboybilly

Has there been any study on how many of the users (possibly applies to food banks as well) are going as it’s ‘free stuff’ rather than due to genuine need ?

The women working behing the counter at my local Tescos were bemoaning how many people are turning up to claim their Foodbank items and then proceed to buy lottery tickets and cigarettes using the payment apps on their iPhones.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You’re trying yourself up in a few knots here. It was the OP we are questioning, he stated “many”....based on his own very limited observations.
I am very happy with the word anecdotal as long as it isn't meant pejoratively. However in human experience, on a personal level, 'very limited observations' is not so kind. I have worked with many thousands of families the past 25 years and the kind of situation I described is for many, a life choice. I would love education and opportunity to remove that carrot. I am not suggesting it is as common in most communities but certainly it is in the most deprived.

I agree with @Thunderbolt's point though and think Herr is objecting it fits more neatly into his world view. I am pretty sure that both he and I want similar things for our people, but will differ on the why's and wherefores and that's okay.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nonsense, governments have always borrowed from the pension fund for general expenditure, it's cheaper than borrowing through loans /bonds etc.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

And how do governments pay back the borrowing? From taxes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here