Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Glenn Murray

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn't boo him anymore. Not after his non celebration after scoring for Palace four years ago.

And I'd love it if he came back here in January. LOVE it. Ideally ship out CMS or Baldock to pay for it. He's twice the player of either of them.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Your love for Gus is causing you to write some pretty ludicrous arguments. Drop the Gus tinted specs and accept what we can all see - had we not ludicrously opted to spunk 3m on CMS and kept our best striker we'd be in the prem by now. Poyet's fault.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, was not Murray woeful and injured in his first season at Palace, our fans WOULD have been saying what a waste of money keeping him & why did we not buy CMS !! What if !! What if !! I told you so !! I told you so !! Wonderful thing hindsight.............. fickle fans & I am one.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your love for Gus is causing you to write some pretty ludicrous arguments. Drop the Gus tinted specs and accept what we can all see - had we not ludicrously opted to spunk 3m on CMS and kept our best striker we'd be in the prem by now. Poyet's fault.

He said publicly that Ken Brown kept the two accounts, transfers and wages, separately which tied his hands. It wasn't denied by Brown or Bloom.
It is only common knowledge that Gus didn't want Murray because it keeps getting repeated on Nsc as 'fact'.
When we played Palace in October Murray & Gus gave each other a big hug on the touchline. Not the action of a manager and player who didn't like each other.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, was not Murray woeful and injured in his first season at Palace, our fans WOULD have been saying what a waste of money keeping him & why did we not buy CMS !! What if !! What if !! I told you so !! I told you so !! Wonderful thing hindsight.............. fickle fans & I am one.
He wouldn't need to gel in a team and setup he was already scoring for fun in!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He wouldn't need to gel in a ta amd setup he was already scoring for fun in!

In League One, a division that he was used to playing in. He had to learn the Championship level required. He learned it, CMS didn't and he scored 11 more at League One standard.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wouldn't boo him anymore. Not after his non celebration after scoring for Palace four years ago.

And I'd love it if he came back here in January. LOVE it. Ideally ship out CMS or Baldock to pay for it. He's twice the player of either of them.

Parish has already said he wouldn't loan him to us. I think Warnock will play him, as he needs to get out of the relegation zone.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
In League One, a division that he was used to playing in. He had to learn the Championship level required. He learned it, CMS didn't and he scored 11 more at League One standard.
You have conveniently forgotten the 18 month hunt for a man with the identical target man features to Glenn. We got him and he fitted in seamlessly.

Gus ****ed up and went for 3m CMS as he thought it suited his style better. He was WRONG.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Bloom said to Gus we will pay him what you want is he worth it. Gua said no.

Sami WAS offered the chance to take him on loan. Sami said no (Parish didnt refuse us) although with Sami he probably didnt know about him BUT

Both decisions have cost us big time

1. Prem league football.

2. A relegation scrap.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You have conveniently forgotten the 18 month hunt for a man with the identical target man features to Glenn. We got him and he fitted in seamlessly.

Gus ****ed up and went for 3m CMS as he thought it suited his style better. He was WRONG.

It took 18 months wait (not hunt) because of passport issues.

TMLS evidence?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The only reason Murray holds back his celebrations is because he still lives in Brighton and can do without the hassle of some moron screaming at him in the street.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I agree CMS struggles in this division, no conjecture there. I have heard from a club employee that the offer we made to Murray was not derisory, but that Palace offered a lot more. I mean a lot more.

This is true, (from what I have heard via mutual friends), Palace offered him a lot more money.

There is no evidence that CMS is on more money than we offered Murray. Our wages bill was £21 million for every member of staff including players, and over half a million went to Paul Barber.

I'm pretty sure that at the time the difference between CMS and Murrays wages was not significant.

What I heard in the summer that he left was that he really wanted to stay, but the club (I don't know if that included Poyet), were not actively trying to keep him. He was looking for a decent wage increase plus a signing fee for his new contract. Palace gave him both.

Interestingly I also heard recently that he is now on TONS of money. The Premier League really is the "promised land" for players.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
No idea why we boo the bloke. We let him go. Should have just found the extra to keep him.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Agree.

I applauded him off.

Now this is what I don't understand. I can appreciate that some people may want to applaud him before the game, I can appreciate that some may want to boo.( I did neither) But I cannot get my head round why any Albion fans would want to applaud an opposition player that has just scored twice against us whether it be Glenn Murray or anybody else.

brightonconvert

Dec 23, 2014
Jcl 666 is correct

He was looking to increase his 12 k p/w basic and get a new contract with signing on fee

The club wished him well in the future and stuck with the wage structure

He was surprised to say the least

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Get a grip. It's panto booing because he's now a Palace player. Besides, he's not Brighton through and through and only 'served' the club because he was paid handsomely. If he was so loyal he'd have signed a new contract before the old one ran out.

The beardy ****.

I agree about the panto villain but not your comment about being loyal. That works both ways and the club didn't offer him a good contract compared to what he could get elsewhere. It was reported he doubled his wages when he went to Palace. Who in the right mind wouldn't do that? Maybe dyed in the wool Brighton fans wouldn't but Murray, as with most players, is an employee, not a lifelong fan! If you are a Brighton fan but played for Everton, would you turn down the opportunity to double you money playing for Liverpool?

Absolutely, the Albion are far classier than that, they'd never sack someone with a family on Christmas Eve, or announce the manager had been sacked on a Sunday night whilst he was in the BBC Studio, or who refused to stock the book written by the former chairman who had done a lot to save the club.........Oh.

Remind me of the honour, respect, gratitude and class shown to Murray by the baying clowns who were chanting "Ditch the bitch" to him at Brentford the previous season when his marriage collapsed and thinking they were hilarious, and then going disco mental when he didn't clap them at the end of the game?

I agree with your comment on sacking on Xmas eve but the other two, do behave. Poyet knew he was going to be sacked and the club just confirmed that before he could start spouting nonsense whilst doing his punditry. As for DK, the club were right not to stock the book bearing in mind his ridiculous share offer and the fact that they weren't given a chance to see a copy which would feature the club and very probably the current chairman!

I knew you were referring to his conduct. Ulloa still lives here & comes to watch us, sitting with the fans. That's class. He went to a Premier League club, not a team in the same division or a rival. That's class.

Classy as he is, Ulloa still went for more money, probably considerably more.

This. Simple. Murray was integral to our league 1 success where he brought that different dimension to our game. It has been well documented on here in the past but it WAS a massive mistake letting him go (Poyet's ego getting in the way). Murray had just scored 30 goals in a season for us, we were promoted and moving into a highly competitive league, why should he have not asked for a new contract? He had proved himself and contributed to our fantastic performances and deserved something more. Anyone on here who disagrees with this is deluded (you go to work, contribute to your organisation's success and 'should' (probably do) get rewarded with either a bonus or a pay rise - if not, I'm sure you get p$£**ed off). He SHOULD have been offered a new contract. He never wanted to go. Do you all feel the same about Ulloa? He wanted to leave! (before anyone suggests it, Ulloa was fantastic for us and do not begrudge him moving on).

The fact is - We miss him and always have since he left. I said we will rue the day by letting him go and we have (many days of pain since).

He was offered a new contract because his old one finished in June 2011. Unfortunately we kept being told that players futures would only be sorted once we knew which division we were in! In the end he was offered more to go to Palace (reportedly double). At that point, I wouldn't mind betting we already had the feelers out for CMS.

Or maybe because people sing songs etc about them that has no relevance to any other game we are playing. 90% of fans really couldn't care about palace!

Atmosphere is created by all fans not just a few. Get some European type chants then you will get an atmosphere!

Ridiculous post. More like 10% of fans don't have a clue about the history.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Now this is what I don't understand. I can appreciate that some people may want to applaud him before the game, I can appreciate that some may want to boo.( I did neither) But I cannot get my head round why any Albion fans would want to applaud an opposition player that has just scored twice against us whether it be Glenn Murray or anybody else.

Why ever not? Do you not ever admire class (Murray or anyone else) and remember he used to be one of ours?

I remember Chris Wood getting a louder ovation when he scored a screamer for Millwall against us a couple of seasons ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here