Bongo Bongo land

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Must admit my favourite word to describe racists is racist but that might just be me...
Is he a racist.....or truthfully saying that the aid we send abroad is being misused...remember when the self righteous were in an uproar over Enoch Powell...but now a lot of people are saying he was right.
Cannot see how to say 'Aid is being misused' other than tell it as it is....a bit of truth doesn't hurt.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
His observation is correct . The reaction to his statement hilarious ...love seeing liberals squirm

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
His observation is correct . The reaction to his statement hilarious ...love seeing liberals squirm

Why would a member of UKIP showing how little intelligence he has make liberals squirm?

The foreign aid argument isn't clear cut, and it's not a case of the left being for one thing and the right against. It's about a number or moral, financial and political ideas competing against each other. It's been discussed by the whole of the press and political spectrum for the last few years. It's not that point that is causing the fuss.
It's the fact that he all he brought to the conversation was a casual racist slur and a few stupid and crass generalisations/lies about what aid is spent on.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Would love a cold carton of image.jpg

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Technically it has never existed.

The point about foreign aid is valid though, don't we give foreign aid to China at the same time as oweing them billions in debt? I've got no problem with helping poorer countries, but we really should be giving it to the right ones.

No, but we do give it to India, despite also giving them a large chunk of our IT and call centre work!!

INDIA

Many have claimed India does not need the cash as it has its own space programme and spends a reported £70 billion a year tackling poverty.

The £280m from the UK is also a tiny amount relative to the country's spending.

The amount is less than 0.03% of India's national income, and less than 2% of what its government spends on rural employment and food subsidy programmes.

Reports claim that India's economy is growing at a rate of eight per cent a year.

Andrew Mitchell, then UK Secretary for International Development, said last year that India is "roaring out of poverty", and is now the 11th biggest economy in the world.

UK aid 2010/11: £274m
UK aid in 2014/15: £280m
& change: +2.19%
Total aid 2010-2015: £1.12bn

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Why would a member of UKIP showing how little intelligence he has make liberals squirm?

The foreign aid argument isn't clear cut, and it's not a case of the left being for one thing and the right against. It's about a number or moral, financial and political ideas competing against each other. It's been discussed by the whole of the press and political spectrum for the last few years. It's not that point that is causing the fuss.
It's the fact that he all he brought to the conversation was a casual racist slur and a few stupid and crass generalisations/lies about what aid is spent on.

His style of presentation was indeed crass....however for you to casually dismiss the key point he was making about who spends what on what, is in itself crass and ill-informed. It has has been the subject of many public and political debate over the years, the examples like Parisian apartments and Ray Ban sunglasses are not new revelations that this clumsy Ukip individual has suddenly stumbled upon.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
His style of presentation was indeed crass....however for you to casually dismiss the key point he was making about who spends what on what, is in itself crass and ill-informed. It has has been the subject of many public and political debate over the years, the examples like Parisian apartments and Ray Ban sunglasses are not new revelations that this clumsy Ukip individual has suddenly stumbled upon.

What? I didn't casually dismiss his point, I said he had a point but my presenting it in such a way and using a few extreme(if they're true) examples he was bringing the whole argument down.
You then re-iterated pretty much exactly what I said back at me in arsy manner

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
What? I didn't casually dismiss his point, I said he had a point but my presenting it in such a way and using a few extreme(if they're true) examples he was bringing the whole argument down.
You then re-iterated pretty much exactly what I said back at me in arsy manner

" a few stupid and crass generalisations/lies about what aid is spent on."

.....and who was being arsy? you have a bit of paranoia there,....its a debate sir.

No, but we do give it to India, despite also giving them a large chunk of our IT and call centre work!!

INDIA

Many have claimed India does not need the cash as it has its own space programme and spends a reported £70 billion a year tackling poverty.

The £280m from the UK is also a tiny amount relative to the country's spending.

The amount is less than 0.03% of India's national income, and less than 2% of what its government spends on rural employment and food subsidy programmes.

Reports claim that India's economy is growing at a rate of eight per cent a year.

Andrew Mitchell, then UK Secretary for International Development, said last year that India is "roaring out of poverty", and is now the 11th biggest economy in the world.

UK aid 2010/11: £274m
UK aid in 2014/15: £280m
& change: +2.19%
Total aid 2010-2015: £1.12bn
Yes, but ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20265583

UK aid to India in 2015/16: NIL

Winding down existing programmes, rather than pulling the plug without warning, is the only responsible way to achieve the change that NO-ONE is arguing about.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
" a few stupid and crass generalisations/lies about what aid is spent on."

.....and who was being arsy? you have a bit of paranoia there,....its a debate sir.

"To buy Ray-Ban sunglasses, apartments in Paris, Ferraris and all the rest of it that goes with most of the foreign aid."

I think you're intelligent to know most foreign aid doesn't go on the above mentioned. I think it's fair to say claiming that it does is a stupid and crass generalisation which add's nothing to the debate.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
....is a stupid and crass generalisation .....

Yes, a generalisation, but not completely without some component of truth in there somewhere......I think that's probably what he was trying to say,..... we could all, however, have done without his casual and lazy euphemisms, but he is only an MEP.

Jan 30, 2008
fair play , he's only saying what a large percentage of the population are thinking , and why UKIP are a viable option to main stream political bullshit :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's my understanding that some of the aid is given in exchange for going onto territories and raping their natural resources, so in a way we do benefit, albeit at the cost of the planet sometimes. Bloom has a whisper of a valid point, aid shouldn't be outright condemned though.
This is where UKIP always fall down, they make quite ill informed, sweeping statements and when probed never seem to be able to back it up. I would be interested to hear them come up with some justification or at least some rudimentary facts that lead them to their conclusions rather than falling back on "England is losing out" argument.

"Guardian readers" should question his motives, as we should question ALL politicians motives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports