Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bong & Rosenior

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
No way has Calderon let himself or the club down ,playing left back,in fact it has proved how sensible it was in awarding him another contract.IMO we do not need to sign a permanent left back,or an untried youngster on loan.If we buy,perhaps another left footed defender/midfielder,with some left back experience.Left backs with experience seem in short supply,on loan.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One reason may be that none were available that CH or the team thought were right for the squad or good enough. In which case it's not a 'mistake' is it?

That is more likely but I still cannot believe that a Premier club didnt have one to loan out that would have been better than using LR and losing his presence in right midfield or Claderon. I wonder whether throwing Chiksen in at the deep end may have been a better option but easy to be wise in hindsight, although I said about getting one in from day one.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That is more likely but I still cannot believe that a Premier club didnt have one to loan out that would have been better than using LR and losing his presence in right midfield or Claderon. I wonder whether throwing Chiksen in at the deep end may have been a better option but easy to be wise in hindsight, although I said about getting one in from day one.
I think management are a tad nearer to the action than you....time to give it a rest don't you think?

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
:wanker:

I never wished rhat on anybody it just came across like that as a misrepresentation and has been explained many times.

Can anybody deny not signing a left back wasnt a mistake for whatever reason.

Okay, you hoped it then, not wished. What's worse? But yeah, no one takes you seriously or you would of been IP banned otherwise, so your point isn't relevant re a lb

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The only LB that I can see mentioned in any rumour site is Ashley Cole, going to MLS.
Anyone know of anybody else? :)

He becomes a free agent in January and Villa said to be trying to sign him. There is Pocognoli at WBA says he wont be just moved on and Meredith at Bradford who we were said to be interested in. I will be very surprised if our first signing after Towell is not a left back or somebody like LR who is versatile.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can anybody deny not signing a left back wasnt a mistake for whatever reason.

It wasn't a mistake. We had the positions covered. Bong at LB, Leon at RB, with Bruno and Calde to back up at RB. Leon could cover LB, with Bruno (or Calde) covering at RB if Leon had to shift across. We also knew Calde could do a fair to middling job in right midfield if necessary. In anyone's book, that is reasonably sorted; clubs at our level simply aren't going to have three or four available for every position.
What we didn't know, was how good Leon would be playing RM - I don't think he did at the start of the season - it was something that was tried two or three games in and worked like a dream. Even more importantly, what we couldn't have known is that both Bong and Leon would get long term injuries way before the season was even half way through. That is called bad luck. Unless you think the manager's middle name should be Petulengro, that isn't a mistake.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It wasn't a mistake. We had the positions covered. Bong at LB, Leon at RB, with Bruno and Calde to back up at RB. Leon could cover LB, with Bruno (or Calde) covering at RB if Leon had to shift across. We also knew Calde could do a fair to middling job in right midfield if necessary. In anyone's book, that is reasonably sorted; clubs at our level simply aren't going to have three or four available for every position.
What we didn't know, was how good Leon would be playing RM - I don't think he did at the start of the season - it was something that was tried two or three games in and worked like a dream. Even more importantly, what we couldn't have known is that both Bong and Leon would get long term injuries way before the season was even half way through. That is called bad luck. Unless you think the manager's middle name should be Petulengro, that isn't a mistake.

Spot on.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Agree, other than the Leon part, his name is Liam.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Whats the news on Bong? Is he back in training? Initial indications were he might be back soon...???

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Whats the news on Bong? Is he back in training? Initial indications were he might be back soon...???

He needs to be, as Ridgewell's, 6 week loan ends around Feb 13/14th, so not long to get back to match fitness.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Thought I heard on radio Saturday that bong was already running and doing ball work hoping to start training with first team this week but still needs a couple of weeks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here