Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bonfire Vs Halloween

What's the best

• Total voters

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
The Autumn equinox is 21st September. It's still Autumn until 21st December, when winter begins.
Tommy Tradles has described it correctly.

I disagree. Winter doesn't really begin on 21st of December that's just an astronimical definition.Also halloween may be a christain term but the traditions of dressing up to scare the spirits have their roots in earlier pagan festivals. Like Christams and Easter it' an example of christian festivals approporating earlier traditions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I disagree. Winter doesn't really begin on 21st of December that's just an astronimical definition.Also halloween may be a christain term but the traditions of dressing up to scare the spirits have their roots in earlier pagan festivals. Like Christams and Easter it' an example of christian festivals approporating earlier traditions.

The sun determines when the calendar says it is winter. The earth's axis is furthest away at that point so it gets colder. Yuletide is the pagan festival for the solstice.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Bonfire obviously, so many memories as a kid of great bonfire nights.
That said I have absolutely no problem with Halloween and I don't really understand the anti-septic feeling that seems so prevelent on here.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Rather surprised to see such overwhelming support for bonfire night - but delighted too. Couldn't agree more; Halloween is sh1te.

One thing about bonfire night, though - I don't think fireworks should go on sale to the general public before the 4th. November; they should only be used on November the fifth, not every bloody night for a fortnight.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rather surprised to see such overwhelming support for bonfire night - but delighted too. Couldn't agree more; Halloween is sh1te.

One thing about bonfire night, though - I don't think fireworks should go on sale to the general public before the 4th. November; they should only be used on November the fifth, not every bloody night for a fortnight.

I don't think they should be on sale to general public for weeks, but there are many bonfire societies who like to space out their celebrations, so that they don't miss any.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think they should be on sale to general public for weeks, but there are many bonfire societies who like to space out their celebrations, so that they don't miss any.
Organised displays, fair enough - especially in Sussex, where bonfire night is such a big deal. When Seaford or Littlehampton have their bonfire nights everybody knows it's going to be noisy and can take appropriate action vis a vis pets etc. But generally such occasions involve very big fireworks, for which you need some sort of licence, so limiting sales to the general public wouldn't affect them.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
They still support the others ie. Seaford has already had theirs.

Because of the sheer number of societies the "bonfire season" stretches from Uckfield carnival at the beginning of September to Rottingdean smugglers at the beginning of December. Even so there can be 4 events each weekend all competing for visiting societies and bands for their processions.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Bonfire celebrations usually begin in the first week of september and end in the first week of December (full events calandar here: http://www.lewesbonfirecelebrations.com/article/sussex-bonfire-night-celebration-event-dates-2012/) Most bonfire celebrations arn't on the 5th because of the clash with Lewes and therefore spread out to avoid this.

Seems also that some people are just getting old and start to resent people having fun and making noise (letting off fireworks, etc) and prefer peace and quiet and a more sedate (boring) life that older age brings. Provided they arn't being set off at a stupid time in the middle of the night (which there are bans on anyway) why should it make much difference when people hold their own (private garden, etc) celebrations?

It's sad but bonfire night used to be great fun, with the noise in the streets in the processions on the 5th in Lewes, but health and safety has reduced / stopped most of this and has greatly reduced the event and taken a lot of joy out of it. People would come for the noise and the excitement but this is fizzling out and becoming very sterile and it's turning into a fancy dress parade.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bonfire celebrations usually begin in the first week of september and end in the first week of December (full events calandar here: http://www.lewesbonfirecelebrations.com/article/sussex-bonfire-night-celebration-event-dates-2012/) Most bonfire celebrations arn't on the 5th because of the clash with Lewes and therefore spread out to avoid this.

If you'd read my other post you'd have seen that I'm perfectly happy with organised displays being staggered - people in the area know it's happening and can take appropriate steps, and OK, there are loud noises on two nights: one night when the organised display is taking place, and on November 5th, when the general public are having their own garden displays.

Nothing to do with 'people getting old'....what garbage. However, I can see from your user name that we're not going to get an unbiased opinion from you!:wink:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you'd read my other post you'd have seen that I'm perfectly happy with organised displays being staggered - people in the area know it's happening and can take appropriate steps, and OK, there are loud noises on two nights: one night when the organised display is taking place, and on November 5th, when the general public are having their own garden displays.

Nothing to do with 'people getting old'....what garbage. However, I can see from your user name that we're not going to get an unbiased opinion from you!:wink:

I'll warn you now then, I'm having my firework party on the 15th :p

True but the better ones make their own (I think?)
I'm absolutely certain that there's not a single bonfire society in Sussex that gets its pyrotechnic supplies from a local shop that sells fireworks to the general public.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I like both, to the extent that I like watching fireworks (but not paying for them) and I kind of like the Halloween thing (which was certainly around in the 70s when I was kid) but not the trick or treating thing. I'd do my house up for Halloween if I had enough monry to really go to town on it and do all spooky lighting and fog and stuff. But I don't so I don't bother :)

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Bonfire is best, but Halloween is also good.

Also Bonfire wasn't traditional once imagine if back when it 'started' people said I'm not having any of this rubbish and it didn't exist now! People should be less reactionary!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It has to be bonfire but only the garden display type of evening with proper jacket potatoes, rubbish Roman candles, pets indoors, a crappy guy etc etc.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bonfire wasn't traditional once imagine if back when it 'started' people said I'm not having any of this rubbish and it didn't exist now! People should be less reactionary!
But everybody knows that Guy Fawkes night was start by the Romans when they started bringing their candles to this country!

Don't they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here