Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton to voluntarily downgrade their academy from Cat 1 to Cat 2

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
I agree, but why do so many not lend the same analysis to us, with one of the biggest cities in the world a stones throw away to our north, with a number of bigger better clubs and Academy's too.

Why are we likely to recruit and retain a talent that is good enough for Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham, Chelsea, where others cannot ?

Because most know the chances of making it at those clubs, particularly Chelsea are next to impossible as they merely just go out and buy the best LB or CB in the world at time.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Bolton have lowish crowds (15K), eye watering debt (nearly £200m), revenue that when parachute payments stop is a lot less than the Albion and most other Champ clubs (£14m compared to £21m), and currently a hefty 90% wages to turnover ratio. They also finished last season a mere 4 points ahead of us. (I think) Their parachute payment revenue ends after next season (15/16) and they still have some players on prem legacy wages..
these are all probably factors...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The point is that ten miles away means they wouldn't have to move.

I agree with a lot of your points and Bolton are in amongst many clubs, but we are too to a degree.

Our new Academy has reaffirmed our position within the pecking order of recruitment and retention, however for me the key should be development, no need to pick sloppy seconds in Ireland, Iceland or from the Premier League caste offs.

Get a Wilkins like figure that will work to develop those best players in this area, those players that are considered talented yet not quite deemed a starlet at 14 years old, offer opportunity and pathways to the first team and whether you are Cat 1 or 2 it really doesnt matter, oh yes if then a genuine gem comes along, show them our development coaches the reputations we've earned and we might just hang on to them too.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Because most know the chances of making it at those clubs, particularly Chelsea are next to impossible as they merely just go out and buy the best LB or CB in the world at time.

I am not sure Brighton have a dissimilar reputation currently.

Look if you are a good young player and a Premiership club come calling, it is extremely alluring and you always think you will be the one that bucks the trend, ultimately even if you fail you are likely to be in demand by clubs at our level anyway.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's nearly all to one man - Eddie Davies. Eddie Davies is their Tony Bloom.

If Bolton have eye-watering debt, then so do we.

Their debt is a lot bigger than Albion's (to be fair quite considerable) debt to TB but yep good point.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
I am not sure Brighton have a dissimilar reputation currently.

Look if you are a good young player and a Premiership club come calling, it is extremely alluring and you always think you will be the one that bucks the trend, ultimately even if you fail you are likely to be in demand by clubs at our level anyway.

Don't think we are in any way in the same boat as Chelsea etc reputation wise. I think i' m right in only John Terry has come through the ranks to make it as a first teamer for a number of years. Being cat 1 means our youngest and best talent can not be pouched by a lower cat academy, safeguarding the investment unless I believe compensation is offered, and then only by another cat 1, but I totally agree the top London clubs will always be a big draw to any kid that thinks he's good enough, the trick here is to develop the player both on and off the field so as he is in no rush to chase a god called money. This I think is one of the key understandings that Southampton and the likes of the mob up the road have mastered. Think of Zaha, he was happy at Palace until both he and the club were ready to sell for a big payday for all concerned . I guess he was good enough to go to Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc as a young teenager but stayed under the umbrella of his parent club.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Don't think we are in any way in the same boat as Chelsea etc reputation wise. I think i' m right in only John Terry has come through the ranks to make it as a first teamer for a number of years. Being cat 1 means our youngest and best talent can not be pouched by a lower cat academy, safeguarding the investment unless I believe compensation is offered, and then only by another cat 1, but I totally agree the top London clubs will always be a big draw to any kid that thinks he's good enough, the trick here is to develop the player both on and off the field so as he is in no rush to chase a god called money. This I think is one of the key understandings that Southampton and the likes of the mob up the road have mastered. Think of Zaha, he was happy at Palace until both he and the club were ready to sell for a big payday for all concerned . I guess he was good enough to go to Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc as a young teenager but stayed under the umbrella of his parent club.

Jody Morris, Dublin and a few others but that was alot earlier.

I think you have misunderstood the EPPP and its repercussions in terms of young players.

There never really has been a flow from better equipped Academys to less well equipped, generally it is unlikely that a Cat 1 player (say 13 years old) would voluntary leave to go to a Cat 2, but if he felt he wanted to he could.

But it is easier for a Brighton talent to leave and sign for say Chelsea, there is a formula, something like £1600 compensation per year he had been at the original club, previously Brighton could hold the players registration until he is 16, demanding exorbitant fee's or off to a tribunal.

As I understand it, switching from one club to another is easier cheaper and a more likely option if upgrading clubs for any young player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here