Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton Ratings (Home)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A few giving Greer 6.5 and one giving him 5!? I worry for these people! He was outstanding as was Dunk. Both read the game sooooo well!

They were ok, nothing more. Can you explain the goal? Dunk should have done better.

Just felt they were outmuscled on several occasions, early in the second half they could have gone 2-1 up after they'd been out-fought.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
They were ok, nothing more. Can you explain the goal? Dunk should have done better.

Just felt they were outmuscled on several occasions, early in the second half they could have gone 2-1 up after they'd been out-fought.
Agreed. One or both were at fault for the goal, Mills also had a free header in the area in the first half. Davies did them both early in the 2nd half and should have scored.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It was a very entertaining game and at times most of the team played really well - but I also agree with the comments above that a she-ite Bolton team also had plenty of chances which they really shouldn't have done. I'm really encouraged and think this team has real potential with the three new signings on the pitch today. However, the last 15 minutes were very nervy and we did not play out the time well. Again, a very enjoyable game though!

I agree. Still very much a work in progress. Hopefully a couple of players still to come in, the likes of Bennett, Holla and McCourt need to get match fit and we need to get March and Stephens fit.

However, I walked away from Birmingham last weekend fearing a relegation battle. Really thought we would struggle. A week, and two wins, later we look a different side. Defence looks solid and we have a bit of creativity going forward with Texeira (and hopefully McCourt when he plays). We still need the goalscoring striker (on top of Colunga if he signs) but looking much better.

I was really impressed by Bennett yesterday. Thought he got up and down the flank really well. Dunk and Greer were really solid (man of the match between Dunk and Bennett in my view). Calde/Bruno at right back were the only defensive concerns for me. If we sign Lenihan and he's as good as suggested, it may not be too long before he gets regular starts (which may be a key factor in his decision).

Further forward, I thought Holla started well but faded. I would have taken him off but then he played a fantastic pass for the second goal. Crofts had a quiet game and JFC did okay. I wouldn't have chosen Bruno as man of the match but he did fine in midfield, Texeira wasn't involved in the game a lot but what he did was superb and CMS scored but should have had another and I still think the forward position is the weak link.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
A reasonably good performance which for me was hindered from being a good one by our shape.

We needed O'Grady up front at the expense of JFC or Crofts. Many times we were lightweight in the box when a cross came in but the major problem was our defending set-pieces with our lack of height. They had 2 tall defenders coming up and we could have conceded a goal before we did. Surely at home we need to be playing 2 up front plus Tex.

Also flooding midfield had a feeling of too many cooks in there. Bolton had far too many opportunities for my liking.

Thought the newbies all looked good/promising and CMS had his best game for some time.

Calderon/Bruno were having a lot of success down the right so I was a bit bemused (so was he) by the Calderon substitution.

With Toko, Stevens and March due to come back soon we are looking very squad-heavy in midfield and lightweight upfront so hopefully additions will arrive there.

Bag a decent right back and a marquee signing upfront and we challenge the play-offs.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Stockdale 7

Calderon 7
Greer 8
Dunk 7
Bennett 8

Holla 7
Crofts 6
Teixera 8
Bruno 8
JFC 6

CMS 8

Subs:

KLL 7
Ince 6
Chicksen 7

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Stockdale 7

Calderon 7
Greer 7
Dunk 8
Bennett 8

Holla 7
Crofts 6
Teixera 8
Bruno 7
JFC 6

CMS 8

Subs:

KLL 7
Ince 6
Chicksen 7

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Stockdale 8 Leads from the back, kick starts attacks quickly

Calderon 8 All action display

Dunk 8 Solid and calm, maturity belies his years

Greer 8 Won loads of headers and led the back line well

Bennett 7.5 Will be very good for us

Bruno 7.5 Excellent in midfield but a liability at right back still
Holla 7.5 Dictates play well
JFC 7 Improving and clearly has Hyypia's faith

Crofts 6.5 didn't really notice him

Teixeira 8.5 Grew into the game and has great influence

CMS 8 Led the line well, fits into Hyypia's system well

Perfect assessment

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A few giving Greer 6.5 and one giving him 5!? I worry for these people! He was outstanding as was Dunk. Both read the game sooooo well!

I'm one of those that you worry about. What you need to explain is why was it that a very poor side managed to get a goal, and a fair few other gilt-edged opportunities. My view is that doesn't come about through outstanding defending.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Stockdale 7.5
Bennett 7.5
Calderon 8
Greer 8
Dunk 7
Bruno 7
JFC 7
Crofty 7
Holla 7.5
Texiedra 8
CMS 7.5

Lualua 6
Chicksen 6
Ince 6

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I didn't notice the goal apart from Mills having. Massive height advantage or so it seemed. It also seemed to deflect off the defender. They had a lot to deal with physically and were great. As a centre back myself I can really appreciate how well these two read the game yesterday. First 15 mins was unreal from both - perfect example of how to settle into a game. Much better than 'ok' IMO!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm one of those that you worry about. What you need to explain is why was it that a very poor side managed to get a goal, and a fair few other gilt-edged opportunities. My view is that doesn't come about through outstanding defending.

3 or 4 of those chances were very fortunate tbh - that Lee one came from a rebound as did the shot from distance in second half. A lot was asked of the defence yest and on the whole they were outstanding. Luckily Sammi could see this as could the pundit interviewing him!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It seems Sami has managed to do what Oscar couldn't - we now move the ball quickly and attack at every opportunity. Everyone seems to know exactly what their job is and what they're supposed to do with and without the ball.

I love how he's set the team up with the midfield diamond. Holla sits at the back, pulls the strings and slots back into defence when the fullbacks bomb forward. The extra man in the middle seems to work well - JFC, Bruno, Holla and Crofts controlled the middle of the park which allowed Tex and CMS to make runs and get inbetween their players. I also think that's why the fullbacks have so much space to run into.
It's only going to get better with more time on the pitch, but it will be interesting to see what the better sides do to counter our midfield once they see what Sami is doing. Well excited about this season now :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I didn't notice the goal apart from Mills having. Massive height advantage or so it seemed. It also seemed to deflect off the defender. They had a lot to deal with physically and were great. As a centre back myself I can really appreciate how well these two read the game yesterday. First 15 mins was unreal from both - perfect example of how to settle into a game. Much better than 'ok' IMO!

Fair enough, all opinions.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
No ratings but MoM could easily have gone to Dunk, Bruno, Tex, Holla, Bennett or CMS and I wouldnt have complained. Plus more to come from Crofts, the return of Kemy, March and a new striker... We are serious contenders IMO.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
We started off so brightly and absolutely controlled the game for the first 15 minutes. We never duplicated that standard for the remainder of the game. If Bolton had had their shooting boots on they could have scored two more and been three nil up in the first half. We did get better again following our goal and as the stats show we certainly were the best team yesterday.

Stockdale 6. Not a lot to do. One or two bits of wayward distribution and once guilty of trying to be a bit too clever.
Calderon 7. Had a very good game. Given acres of space in the first half.
Greer 6. Not quite up to his recent high standard and came very close to giving the ball away in fron of goal in the 1st half.
Dunk 8. Excellent game. Should be an automatic first choice CB. MOM.
Bennett 7. Decent enough debut, but would have liked to see him taking his man on and getting nearer the touchline before crossing the ball.
Holla 7. Good debut. Not quite as good as Bridcutt at his best ... yet.
Crofts 7. Played well without doing anything outstanding.
JFC 6. Better than in recent games, but I still think we need someone better in that role.
Bruno 7. One of his best games for a long while, but I'm not sure he was MOM material.
Tex 7. Looked great in the 1st half, but faded. Well taken goal.
CMS 7. Decent enough game, but still unable to control the ball as well as he should as a professional footballer. We still need a target man.

Subs:
Lua Lua 8. Made a real difference when he came on.
Chicksen 7. Slotted in very well. Has come on in leaps and bounds.
Ince - not on long enough.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average Ratings

Highest Rated:
*Teixeira 7.82 (86mins, 31 votes)

The Rest:
Mackail-Smith 7.74 (97mins, 31 votes)
Dunk 7.60 (97mins, 31 votes)
Bruno 7.58 (97mins, 31 votes)