Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton in the UEFA cup

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I see they fielded a reserve side last night. If it's such a hassle, why even bother entering this competition in the first place? Surely if they focused on it, the UEFA Cup would be an achievable target this year and bring a bit of glamour and prestige to the club.

Instead, the sum total of Bolton's ambition this season is to maintain Premiership status, thereby keeping their snouts in the trough for another year. How exciting. When did the game get so DULL?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree totally, though the argument is dulled somewhat by the fact that they actually won with that side, and look well set to qualify.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't know about the game, but the UEFA cup got so dull the minute it became a glorified plate competition and they let 4 teams in from the bigger nations in the "Champions" league.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I don't know about the game, but the UEFA cup got so dull the minute it became a glorified plate competition and they let 4 teams in from the bigger nations in the "Champions" league.

It's still got to be worth something to clubs like Bolton, who have won f*** all since about 1926.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Bolton fans held in Serbian hotel

Bolton fans were prevented from visiting the centre of Belgrade
Hundreds of Bolton Wanderers football fans were detained at a Belgrade hotel ahead of the club's Uefa Cup tie.
Serbian police held the supporters at the Hotel National amid security fears after trouble involving Red Star Belgrade supporters last weekend.

The club said the fans who were on an official trip were held without reasonable explanation.

The supporters were released in time to watch their team beat Red Star 1-0 in a Uefa Cup Group F match.

Strong representations

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We can confirm that the Bolton fans finally did make the match.

"It all passed off in good order and I understand no arrests have been made."

The actions of the Serbian police have been made entirely unilaterally

Bolton Wanderers FC statement

The club said it had expressed its "frustration and disappointment" at the situation.

A statement by Bolton said the club's feelings were shared by Uefa, the FA, the British Embassy, Red Star, and travelling British police.

The club said the supporters had been prevented from visiting Belgrade city centre before the match.

"Strong and intensive" representations had been made to the local police once the incident started, the club added.

No warning

The statement said: "However, all attempts to resolve this situation have been met with the response 'the matter is under consideration' from the Belgrade police.

"The actions of the Serbian police have been made entirely unilaterally and with no prior warning or agreement with Bolton Wanderers FC or other relevant parties.

"Bolton Wanderers FC are fully aware of a crowd order situation that arose last Saturday (when a Serbian police officer was attacked with flares), and we do understand that this may have increased security issues for the local police."

The club said it was seeking clarification of unconfirmed reports that the Serbian police had received specific intelligence that Bolton supporters were at risk of attack in the city centre.

The fans expressed "frustrated resignation" at being cloistered in the hotel, the Foreign Office said.

Five British police officers had accompanied the fans and the Belgrade police commander was "very apologetic about the situation", it added.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here