Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton fans trying to raise £500,000 to help buy Adam Le Fondre

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Assuming Brighton is the 'one' you speak of, there's definitely 2 then as we are in that camp....

Given the signings you are making and the freebies we are signing one of the clubs is taking it much more seriously than the other. Although we are probably paying way over the odds for all our signings as we apparently are amongst the biggest spenders in the division, or so we keep being told. Hard to believe that we are playing on the same playing field as Derby these days though. You are building to get promoted we seem to be building to stay out of the bottom three.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The problem with FFP, is that if we talk of signing Jordan Rhodes it is 'oh no, FFP, unaffordable, woe is us' etc..

But Middlesbrough and Sheff Wed must be working with better accountants, as they are trying to put the deal together. FFP ? pah, not for us...

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Given the signings you are making and the freebies we are signing one of the clubs is taking it much more seriously than the other. Although we are probably paying way over the odds for all our signings as we apparently are amongst the biggest spenders in the division, or so we keep being told. Hard to believe that we are playing on the same playing field as Derby these days though. You are building to get promoted we seem to be building to stay out of the bottom three.

I take your point, and I can't pretend to understand all the ins and outs of FFP but I think 1 thing (and it's very relevant to this thread) that get's forgotten is cash. Even these acceptable losses have to be funded somehow, perhaps that cash is no longer available?

It makes sense to me that we are able to spend a little more:- the increased limit, our revenue is going up very quickly and we had a lower expense base to start with. Still doesn't help explain why Brighton seem unwilling or unable to spend though.

I take your point, and I can't pretend to understand all the ins and outs of FFP but I think 1 thing (and it's very relevant to this thread) that get's forgotten is cash. Even these acceptable losses have to be funded somehow, perhaps that cash is no longer available?

It makes sense to me that we are able to spend a little more:- the increased limit, our revenue is going up very quickly and we had a lower expense base to start with. Still doesn't help explain why Brighton seem unwilling or unable to spend though.

This a very good point, and has been pointed out on NSC on a number of previous occasions . There's also the question of business losses that are allowable under FFP or are attributable to an entity that isn't the FL member; both still have to be funded.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle

So what has been inexplicable to us for ages is now starting to make our opponents wonder. Goes to show we're just as much outsiders when it comes to the Albion's way of transfer business as mikeyjh (the Thinking Man's Rams Fan).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here