Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] BoE Interest Rise

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe quadrupling airport taxes would be a victimless crime? Might thin out the hordes that clog our rubbish airports and are happy to splurge huge amounts of cash on foreign holidays. Not much sign of recession in the aviation sector, other than nobody wants to work there anymore

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Wages and consumer spending are not fuelling this inflationary spiral, the interest rate will not address the root cause of it. It's just another jackboot heading straight to the nether regions of the general public.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Of course it is, as are house prices. We've been storing up trouble for a long time

Something really serious/strategic will have to give in this country. The cost of living crisis, fuel poverty will rightly dominate headlines this winter.

I suspect that those who are blasé about this have either:
a) No or next to no mortgage; and/or
b) Are sitting very comfortably with a great pension.

It will dominate Truss's 27 months, before she's booted out. She won't have the big idea or social conscience to rejig tax and spend.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Just my opinion but personally don't think it's a crazy decision.

In fact I think they have left it rather late - should have happened a month ago - and should have probably been an additional 3/4%

Unless inflation is bought under control (and it's heading for 15% by next Spring) then the spiral of increased prices, increased wages will continue unabated.

That’s my understanding too .

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It seems like quite a small increase. I didn't realise the UK interest rate was still so low.

Here in Canada, they increased the rate by a full 1% a few weeks ago. That was after a 0.75% increase a couple of months earlier. It's now at 2.5%.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Maybe quadrupling airport taxes would be a victimless crime? Might thin out the hordes that clog our rubbish airports and are happy to splurge huge amounts of cash on foreign holidays. Not much sign of recession in the aviation sector, other than nobody wants to work there anymore

Virgin are 2.6 billion in debt
EasyJet lost millions
Heathrow lost over a billion I believe
Gatwick lost millions

Tickets are taxed massively, you are taxed/charged for flying out of Heathrow before you even start

The whole sector is a mess.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Might be nice for the contenders to be PM to come up with some ideas for how to fix the problems rather than whinging about the existence of gay people and threatening people who talk about our national history with re-education.

Hint - the answer is not, and never will be, tax cuts.

Sunak started off as the adult in the room and was right, Im not sure it was too far away from what Labour are saying, however it wasn’t popular with Tories so he turned.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
EasyJet lost millions
Gatwick lost millions

Tickets are taxed massively, you are taxed/charged for flying out of Heathrow before you even start

Yet I can still go on my weekend jaunt to the other side of the continent for less than it would cost me to get the train to Manchester this weekend

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
EasyJet lost millions
Gatwick lost millions

Just last week Ryanair posted profits of 170m euros for the first quarter of the year (and is expecting that to rise over the year). Yearly profits of around three-quarters of a billion doesn't sound like much of a mess to me.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just last week Ryanair posted profits of 170m euros for the first quarter of the year (and is expecting that to rise over the year). Yearly profits of around three-quarters of a billion doesn't sound like much of a mess to me.

They lost 815 million euros last year

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Something really serious/strategic will have to give in this country. The cost of living crisis, fuel poverty will rightly dominate headlines this winter.

I suspect that those who are blasé about this have either:
a) No or next to no mortgage; and/or
b) Are sitting very comfortably with a great pension.

It will dominate Truss's 27 months, before she's booted out. She won't have the big idea or social conscience to rejig tax and spend.

Agreed. I’m very lucky to be a & b but far from blasé because my kids are neither. People like my son (lowly paid in the football industry) and his GF (teacher), and daughter (NHS nurse) are going to struggle with the combination of increases hitting Joe Public. Daughter has already taken a new job closer to her home due in part to enormous petrol costs. Massive crisis looming, higher mortgages are just another straw on the camel’s back.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
EasyJet lost millions
Gatwick lost millions

Just a cursory glance at the EasyJet site shows that a one way flight from UK to just about anywhere in Europe on the Easyjet network can be had in October for under 25 quid. Not complaining, will doubtless fill me boots, but how can fares that low be anything other than head-mental on any number of levels?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just a cursory glance at the EasyJet site shows that a one way flight from UK to just about anywhere in Europe on the Easyjet network can be had in October for under 25 quid. Not complaining, will doubtless fill me boots, but how can fares that low be anything other than head-mental on any number of levels?

They will be making a loss on that price I imagine, or given what’s going on cancel it!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-and-allowances-for-air-passenger-duty#rate-types

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
A .5% increase on 170k mortgage over 30 years is less than 50 quid a month. Unpleasant, but nothing compared with the £200 - 500 increases in energy costs that are being reported, that's what needs to be tackled.

House prices according to the Nationwide went up 11% in the last year. So on a modest £200,000 property the owners have made £22,000 over the last year. That's £1833 per month, so there's a long way to go before mortgage holders will have any right to moan.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Airlines had little choice but make huge redundancies given furlough ended before the industry restarted

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here