Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bobby Zamora Press Conference

Regency Gull

Jul 14, 2003
Shoreham by Sea
I cannot believe that anyone is trying to say that is a good deal. If that was what we made after all the clauses and player cuts then fair enough but we will clear something like 800-900K for our best player.

This is the best player this club has had for 20 years? Small clubs survive by selling their assets for big fees to bigger clubs and we have just given ours away for 800K - what is that going to get us when we have a hugely limited budget anyway??

Not only have we lost our best player but we have not realised enough in order to buid our team up from it

I am fuming - I would rather have kept an unhappy player who would have to have bust his gut in order to get a move rather than 800K - and how much of that will be for players.

Therefore lets say 400K for players to replace possible the best player and biggest asset we have ever had

Shit

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Mr Popkins said:
am I the only one who thinks this is a good deal?

my reasons-

3.we have no money and need 3-4 decent players.

I know we will miss him but one man dosnt make a club, and lets hope the money will go towards some exciting new signings in the next few weeks.

Bye Bye King Bobby.
How much of that 1.5 mil do you think will go on players? If there is anything in that thread about the players not being paid, then it was right about us being in shit.I get the feeling that million will go to keeping us afloat.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
lets hope "The Times" have not made a mistake in thier reporting of bobbys transfer today . they have said 20% is going to Bristol rovers!

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Mental Lental said:
£1.5mill with no clauses?

I demand an explanation Mr Knight.

BEFORE the end of today.

This is a very good point. No clauses for a player with as much potential as Bobby. Now that is almost as stupid as selling him for £1.5m. He could've made us really rich.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Mr Popkins said:

my reasons-

1. bobby wanted to go, you cant keep him here if he dosnt want to.

2. The bottoms fallen out of the market at the moment. price banded around for players in the past are now irrelivant.

4 its the best offer we have had this season.

5. he is untried in the premiership ,whos to say he can cut it? its still a gamble for spurs.

6. its beaten brightons transfer record.

I know we will miss him but one man dosnt make a club, and lets hope the money will go towards some exciting new signings in the next few weeks.

Bye Bye King Bobby.

Spot on. I can't believe some of the garbage being talked about transfer prices on here. Have some of these people not been paying any attention at all to the state of the market? The only relevant comparison is with Ormerod, and the fact that he went for £250,000 more reflects the difference in the market then and now. Zamora is a better player, and if Ormerod had been sold now, Bobby would have got more. But he wasn't.

Harry Kewell earned Leeds, as a club, £3m - and he is a proven Premiership STAR and a world-class player. £1.5m for a Div Two player with potential at 22 is OK. Bobby needed to go for all the reasons you've said. Personally I think the Blackwell fiasco is much more of an issue now, pure rank incompetence.

Regency Gull

Jul 14, 2003
Shoreham by Sea
Kewell was on the cheap because Leeds had to sell and he said he only wanted to go to Liverpool - therefore Liverpool could drive the price down.

We would have been better rather than flogging for 1.5m and he would had to have played because otherwise he would never have got a move.

Based on his age, potential, U21 caps, value to us as a club and scoring record he was worth more than 1.5m. Add on the fact that we have to give away 40% then he is definately worth more than 1.5m to us.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The Peter Taylor issue
The Coppell issue (1st time around)
The going on holiday with no manager/new players issue
The shirts issue
The hinshelwood isse
The butters issue
The kitson issue
The sidwell issue
The centenary video issue
The blackwell issue
and now the Zamora issue

Did I miss anything

All the plus points are in the past. It's not been a good year Dick. You can't always live on the 'I saved the club thing forever'.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed Dessie, it's an absolutely crap price. The market is deflated so here's an idea, why not wait until it picks up before selling your star asset? ??? ???

Not rocket science if you ask me.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The point is that we were always being told we don't have to sell him. So why sell him at a cut price deal. If we had to sell him, why haven't we been told about the situation before hand.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Or to put it another way, lets assume Spurs were prepared to pay £2m to get their man - not an unreasonable assumption I'd suggest - that means we've lost out to the tune of £500,000, money which could have subsidised your already ridiculously expensive season ticket to the tune of £70.

So when the board starts bleating about "whinging fans", it's worth reminding them of this FACT. To pay over the odds for a season where you are watching a classy Eng U21 international gorging on goals for half of it is one thing. But to be deprived of that, and expect to pay ludicrous season ticket prices indirectly because of piss poor negotiating skills is quite another.

Would someone please bring this point up at the next fans forum because I want an answer. (I can't go as my wife is about to drop...)

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I dread to think how much Tottenham’s previously derisory offer was.

Hoddle said on the news that he thought Zamora at £1.5 million was a bargain. I know during negotiations Levy was likely to be giving it all this “we won’t go up to £2 million for a player that has never played in the prem” etc. But surely the board must see that Hoddle is for once right?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Mr Popkins said:

my reasons-

1. bobby wanted to go, you cant keep him here if he dosnt want to.

2. The bottoms fallen out of the market at the moment. price banded around for players in the past are now irrelivant.

4 its the best offer we have had this season.

5. he is untried in the premiership ,whos to say he can cut it? its still a gamble for spurs.

6. its beaten brightons transfer record.

Bye Bye King Bobby.

Agreed. Fancy joining the JPF ;)

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I can,t understand either why he went for so little, but would we have a clause in his contract that if Bob becomes a mega star and leaves Spurs would we be entitled for a cut??? Also if Bob ends up in the reserves would he come back to us on loan:lolol: Also what would have Leciester,s offer been?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
6. its beaten brightons transfer record

WRONG!! The £900,000 we got for Lawro at the time would have bought exceedingly more loaves of bread than £1.5m does now.

I read somewhere that £900,000 then is equivalent to £15m today or is that codswallop?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here