Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bobby Tambling all time Chelsea top goalscorer

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
His name keeps getting mentioned lately because Frank Lampard is only 5 goals away From breaking Bobby Tamblings goals tally of 203 as the Chelsea all time top goalscorer .
So it was unbelievable to me that around 15 years ago I found myself working on a building site with Tambling I couldn't believe a man who held such a record and the scorer of an FA cup final goal plus a few England caps could end up as a Hod Carrier on a building site at 52 . He was down on his luck and skint I thought I'd just mention it because it just goes to show you how much has changed being a pro footballer these days, could you imagine Frank lampard laying bricks at 52 .
I felt guilty asking the bloke to get me bricks & mortar mind you I think we talked football for 8 hours every day and he had so many great stories to tell a genuinely great guy , one of his best stories was Chelsea were in the UEFA cup away in Italy I can't remember which team but it was all level after both legs and it was before pens decided a football game so it went down to a toss of a coin , Ron Harris went out on the pitch to toss the coin while the team stayed in the dressing room ,all the players waited anxiously for his return and the result of the coin toss as he walked in he had a long face and looked dejected and after a few seconds shouted yeaaaahhh cheer up you miserable bastards we won I chose heads :clap:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
His name keeps getting mentioned lately because Frank Lampard is only 5 goals away From breaking Bobby Tamblings goals tally of 203 as the Chelsea all time top goalscorer .
So it was unbelievable to me that around 15 years ago I found myself working on a building site with Tambling I couldn't believe a man who held such a record and the scorer of an FA cup final goal plus a few England caps could end up as a Hod Carrier on a building site at 52 . He was down on his luck and skint I thought I'd just mention it because it just goes to show you how much has changed being a pro footballer these days, could you imagine Frank lampard laying bricks at 52 .
I felt guilty asking the bloke to get me bricks & mortar mind you I think we talked football for 8 hours every day and he had so many great stories to tell a genuinely great guy , one of his best stories was Chelsea were in the UEFA cup away in Italy I can't remember which team but it was all level after both legs and it was before pens decided a football game so it went down to a toss of a coin , Ron Harris went out on the pitch to toss the coin while the team stayed in the dressing room ,all the players waited anxiously for his return and the result of the coin toss as he walked in he had a long face and looked dejected and after a few seconds shouted yeaaaahhh cheer up you miserable bastards we won I chose heads :clap:

I also worked with Bobby in 1993, he was working on the new tax office at Durrington... nice bloke.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Has there been a more prolific Sussex-born goalscorer in the Football League?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I also worked with Bobby in 1993, he was working on the new tax office at Durrington... nice bloke.

That's where I worked with him , bloody hell was it really in 93 I thought it was only about 15 years ago ( if your a chippie now I think I know who you are )

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Here's Bobby Tambling

bobby-tambling-chelsea-legend-signed-photo.jpg

But how exactly does one Tamble?

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
He ran a Soccer School for kids at Rockley Park Holiday Caravan Park in Poole in the summer months years ago when my mate was in the resident cabaret band and I used to visit , lovely guy.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm surprised this thread hasn't mentioned the fact he also played for... Palace!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
or that he scored against us when we played them in the cup at the Goldstone....4th minute I think it was,we drew but got hammered 4-0 in the replay.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I'm surprised this thread hasn't mentioned the fact he also played for... Palace!

Good player even when he was at Palace !!
I heard he was a hoddy as well, that was a tough old game , Labourers have got it easy nowadays !!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
That's where I worked with him , bloody hell was it really in 93 I thought it was only about 15 years ago ( if your a chippie now I think I know who you are )

No i am a sparks. I know it was 93 because my son was born that year. I suppose seeing as Bobby was a hod carrier, he was probably there at the start, which was 1992.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You wonder how much Frank Lampard knows about Bobby Tambling. Or Roman Abramovich.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You wonder how much Frank Lampard knows about Bobby Tambling. Or Roman Abramovich.

I'm sure Frank's dad will have regaled various tales of his playing days....

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Your a brick layer !, i had you down as a spotty student ???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Born in Storrington!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here