Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bob the Buxted winger

Stinkers Bridge

Jul 28, 2004
Buxted Harbour
Play On For Buxted Winger 69 (from The Argus)</title>

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

The oldest winger in town is set to make a dramatic comeback and fire his team to footballing glory.

Bob Spencer, 69, finally hung up his trusty boots at the end of this season after a non-league footy career spanning more than 60 years.

He soon got itchy feet and now intends to play again next season and bang in the goals for his team, Mid Sussex Football League's Buxted FC.

It will mean he will be playing well into his 70s.

Bob sees no reason why he should stop and is looking to oust lads 50 years his junior to secure a regular place in the team.

He said: "Just seeing the lads playing has given me a taste for it again.

"I'll probably be up against it because the club's got a few decent players now so it will be tough competition for places. But I'm up to the challenge and I reckon I've got half a chance."

Bob, described by teammates as a combative utility man, has had a spell on the sidelines coaching the team, which plays in Division Nine of the league.

But it has not been the same for him.

Bob said: "I've been managing the team but I really want to play.

"They put me on for short spells but I'm looking for a full-time place in the team next season."

He was seen last season scampering up and down the wing. He admitted he would prefer to play in the striker's role. Bob still trains regularly and also keeps fit tending his 350 sheep.

Bob, who was born in Peckham, south London, gave up his job as a city trader to run a farm in Hadlow Down, near Uckfield.

That, along with a healthy diet, no smoking and only the occasional tipple is what Bob reckons is the key to his longevity.

He said: "I drink from time to time but I never smoked.

"I was born during the war and I think the diet at that time helped me to keep the weight off, even now.

"It's all about doing things in moderation and certainly a healthy diet and lifestyle keeps me going on the pitch. I don't intend to stop any time soon."

Bob took up the game when in 1944, aged just six, he ran on to a pitch during a match he was watching and picked up the ball and never looked back.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
An inspiration really to show that all footballers can carry on.

Hope he doesn't get injured though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here